madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Plans for the "off season"?

#1 Unread post by madjak30 »

So, is anyone planning new wheels or upgrades for next riding season?

My whole situation has changed this year. I didn't get to ride much due to my marital changes...selling house, moving, trying to see the kids as much as possible & take them on summer vacation, working out of town...it's been a crazy year. But now that life is settling into a rythm I am thinking of next season.

Since I crashed my MT-01, I don't think it is worth selling...so that will be staying as my "toy", but my new GF wants to ride with me so I am considering a touring bike. I'm currently leaning toward a bagger, but I do like the idea of an adventure touring bike...jury is out on that one right now but the budget is there, so since I seem to like spending my money...why save when you can have a new toy?

Just wondering what others were planning...I'm also hoping I get to go to the bike shows this year, missed them last year due to work :cry:

Later.
:humm:
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Plans for the "off season"?

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

MadJak, I'm upgrading to an '03 Mean Streak next summer just as soon as one pops up at the right price. Kudos on the GF ready to ride with you, is that something she's done before? If she's new to riding, a plushier bike will make her want to go again yaknow?

As for what bike, let me ask you this:

What does the Yama FJR1300A, the Kawi Concourse, the MG Cali 1400 and the Triumph TBird all have in common?

They'd all be great touring bikes, and you voted them all AWESOME on the Cool Wall recently. (-:

That's a great place to start.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by madjak30 »

Thanks...the only reason I can give for not looking at sport touring is, I'm keeping the MT-01 which is sporty enough (more of a muscle bike, but...) Still looking at baggers & adventure touring...if I was dumping my current bike, I would go with a sport touring bike for sure...but I want to keep my toy & get a comfy tourer...the adventure might be a better choice just for the longer travel suspension, lots of frost heaves & cracks in the road to deal with...never mind the pot holes.

Yes, she has ridden before. She used to ride with her Dad when she was younger, but wants to do it again. Might consider an older Goldwing? Dunno...really do like the idea of a sport touring bike, but comfort over power & speed...won't feel pushed by the bike to go faster if it's more of a layed back ride.

Mean Streak is a nice one! Joint venture between Kawasaki & Suzuki...Marauder 1600 is basically the same bike...muscle bike category.

Anyway, good luck!

Later.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

Internet glitch...posted twice :oops:

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#5 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I'm not changing bikes. Just giving my bike some delayed maintenance.
Changing pushrod tube seals, changing rear drive pivot bearings, pulling and opening and cleaning up the carbs.
Already greased clutch splines and replaced the drive shaft (precautionary) this Fall.
And all this started because I needed new tires in midsummer - the old ones were just old and hard from age (and disuse).

Been thinking about what kind of small dirt bike to get for trail riding if I should be so lucky as to retire in the forseeable future.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You could try a Super Tenere.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

blues2cruise wrote:You could try a Super Tenere.
It has a great reputation and many fans and that's where I'd look if I were going to replace my R100GS. But I'm not in the market.
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by madjak30 »

I'm considering that...they have dropped in price too, not as popular as Yamaha thought they would be.
Also eyeballing the Versys 1000, the 2014 Suzuki V Strom 1000...but if I'm going to stretch the budget, I really like the Triumph Explorer!

We'll see...might just go with a touring bike (Yamaha Venture...very comfy)

Don't know which direction I will go...I think I need to have a garage full of bikes to be satisfied!

Later.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

madjak30 wrote:
I'm considering that...they have dropped in price too, not as popular as Yamaha thought they would be.

I think the price was an issue. They are expensive. Here in Canada they only had the 1200cc model. They may have sold more in Canada if they brought the 800cc here. I think they were more popular in Europe.

We'll see...might just go with a touring bike (Yamaha Venture...very comfy)

You could ask drbar what he thinks of the Royal Venture....I did a demo ride on one. In Colorado to be exact. I went to a women's motorcycle conference there. Each demo ride lasted about 30 minutes. I thought it was underpowered for being a 4 cylinder bike. It didn't seem to have much acceleration on the highway. Or maybe I just didn't know how to handle it.... :dunno: It was also too big structurally for me. Later.
Oops. I didn't realize the font would be so big and bright. :laughing: Leaving it though cuz it would be too much trouble to fix it. :laughing:

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

From my reading elsewhere I think there are rider-selectable programs for the ST.
And the aftermarket reprograms are where folks are very happy with those bikes - they say it really wakes it up as well as makes it less throttle snatchy.
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E