A personal request

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

A personal request

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Leyte Province in the Philippine got hammered and hammered hard by the super typhoon. Last I heard from my fiancee Malani was a text message stating she and her family were being evac'ed out of Carigara, just north of Tacloban. Judging from the news, Tacloban City suffered damaged akin to that suffered by New Orleans and an estimated 10,000 people in the region are gone. Give the lack of communications, power and the like, I doubt I will hear anything from her for a bit and I am very worried. However there is little I can do at this time other then to ask those of you who can, please donate to the relief effort.

Always ask why.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: A personal request

#2 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I hope that she (and the rest of her family) are fine, Ceemes. Take care and hang in there.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

That's terrible news. I hope she's okay, I can only imagine the hell you're going through right now. Maybe we could set up a Paypal donation link on here directed towards the relief effort. I'll ask Mike about this.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Dunno if this'll be useful but I guess every little bit helps, Ceemes.

"(Updated 9:43 p.m.) Through messages scrawled on torn-up paper plates, written in pencil or crayon, and given to GMA's Jiggy Manicad, people in Leyte cut off from the rest of the Philippines by super typhoon Yolanda hope to let their loved ones in the country and abroad know that they are safe and sound."

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/33 ... loved-ones

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Hi ceemes. I can only imagine what you are going through right now. I sincerely hope that you hear from Malani soon and that everything is ok. Please keep us all updated. We are here to support you.
Gummiente wrote:Maybe we could set up a Paypal donation link on here directed towards the relief effort. I'll ask Mike about this.
That's such a great idea! Rather than set up a separate link, I did some research and found the Philippine Red Cross is working in the area and accepting donations.

US: http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Ty ... ster-Alert (with US donation page)

Philippines: http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

A bit of news today:

U.S. Marines land in Philippines after massive Typhoon Haiyan destruction

The city of Tacloban in the Philippines, with a population of over 220,000, almost totally destroyed by Typhoon Haiyan

U.S. Marines landed Monday to bring food, water, generators, blankets, mosquito nets, soap, underwear, and other critical supplies to the survivors of Friday's deadly Typhoon Yolanda (called Haiyan elsewhere in Asia), possibly the most powerful typhoon on record. The nation is used to typhoons, having had 20 or so already this year, but no one was prepared for Haiyan, with 145 mile per hour winds, and storm surges as high as 20 feet. Haiyan killed over 10,000 people, and completely destroyed cities in its path. Almost 9.7 million people were affected. A new typhoon, named Zoraida, will make landfall on Tuesday, with top winds of 34 miles per hour, but with plenty of new rain to add to the misery. The U.S. is providing $20 million in aid to the Philippines, and the aircraft carrier USS George Washington, currently in Hong Kong, is making final preparations to deploy to the Philippines, and will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. President Benigno Aquino III has declared a "state of calamity." Fox News and Bloomberg

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#9 Unread post by ceemes »

Still no word from Melani, I am operating under the assumption of no news is good news. The Canadian Government finally has gotten off its arse and sent the Canadian Force DART team over along with one of our new C-17's loaded with relief supplies.
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:Still no word from Melani, I am operating under the assumption of no news is good news. The Canadian Government finally has gotten off its arse and sent the Canadian Force DART team over along with one of our new C-17's loaded with relief supplies.
I saw on News Fix tonight that communications are still bad in the area and few people outside of there are hearing word still from those in the area. Glad Canada is on it's way, I'm sure it's not easy to organize something 1/2 way around the world.

I hope you hear from her or her family soon.

Mike