totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Bad Roads

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Houston has more bad roads than good roads and ere's one in my neighbourhood that even the city has given up on. It's a main road and and has marked it "unrepairable" by Houston, go figure. I unfortunately use this road on my bike at least once a week and it SUCKS.

Don't fall off that 5" edge!
Houston Road.
Houston Road.
IMG_9749.jpg (189.04 KiB) Viewed 9537 times
Road #2
Road #2
IMG_9786.jpg (179.5 KiB) Viewed 9537 times
Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Bad Roads

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

WOW!!

And you guys don't even get snow there!!

Not much at least right? I'll never complain about Utah roads again.

Or, at least, for a couple weeks. (-:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JackoftheGreen wrote:WOW!!

And you guys don't even get snow there!!

Not much at least right? I'll never complain about Utah roads again.

Or, at least, for a couple weeks. (-:
Yes sir, no snow at all, in fact, we never even had a flake of it fall all winter last year. I've heard it does snow in Houston (1/2 a day it might last) but it's a skiff of snow and happens every 4-10 years.

The issues with the roads out there (and they go off really, really fast) is the Houston soil. It's top soil on sand on clay. And it expands and contracts all directions with the heavy rains so the earth changes shape each month here. Seems roads only stay "straight and level" for about a year before it needs repairs. Amazing how many car belly marks there are on the roads here too.

I miss a nice, flat, smooth road.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Don't they have engineers down there? Surely some clever person can come up with a design for a flexible suspension road or a floating road. There are new materials being developed all the time. They need material with flex.

They just don't want to spend the money.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

Not like they don't have the tax base...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#6 Unread post by sunshine229 »

LOL! There certainly is money in some parts of Houston but you'd be surprised at how much of this city is just crap. The photos Mike posted at the top of this thread are from West Houston / Energy Corridor (i.e. where many of the oil companies and therefore well paid people live).

I'm with you Blues, there has got to be some way to engineer the city out of this mess...

Because of the shifting land, many houses here have to undergo foundation repair. Basically this is where someone digs underneath your house and places piers underneath to hold the foundation up. Our house had this done in 2001. $23,000 worth of work, but never needs to be done again. Definitely a big part of the selling features!
Andrea :sun: