madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Separation/Divorce

#1 Unread post by madjak30 »

I got home last night all excited to see the wife & kids...especially the wife after two weeks away.

We've been working on our marriage pretty hard for the last 9 months, trying to repair the trench between us. Quite a few years of growing apart with different interests & the only real common thread being the kids.

I've been feeling like we were at a stale mate lately, but was sure we could eventually come out the other end...but when I got home last night she said we needed to go for a walk. I knew right then & there what the "topic" would be...with tears streaming down her cheeks she said that she thought it was best for us to separate. I knew it was coming, but hearing it really blasted me...I still love my wife, but she wasn't feeling the spark anymore and said she felt numb when it came to feelings about me...and even with me trying for most of the year, she said her feelings weren't changing and she basically was calling it quits.

So, here I sit on the saddest day of my life, mourning the loss of my beloved partner who is standing right in front of me...talk about hard to take.

Now we have to come up with a way to tell the kids, because they will figure it out...since my kissing and touching is no longer welcome. :cry:

So, needless to say...there will be no scooter, or having her ride with me...feels like part of my heart has been ripped out. :bye:

Anyway, I just had to get it off my chest.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: Separation/Divorce

#2 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Sorry to hear about it. Sometimes some time apart can help. Just make sure you talk to a lawyer ASAP. Protect yourself and become aware of what is going on.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm sorry bud. I really am.

Coming from someone who has been in the kids' perspective. Just be honest with them. Be open with them. You may think they don't understand, but they understand a lot better than you think. Make sure they know it's because of your differences, and NOT because of them. Then don't badmouth the other parent. Again, don't badmouth each other to the kids. You have no idea how that makes kids feel. We're part mom and part dad, and when one badmouths the other, we feel that that part of us is bad. Trust me, I still have self esteem issues due to that at 26 years old.

And like Pete said, get a lawyer.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

The good thing is there is no hard feelings, just lack of that special connection...we're still friends. It seems weird to me, but it is definitely better for the kids...no bad feelings should mean, no bad talk either.

Thanks for the well wishes & we are going to an arbitrator to work out the details (finances & stuff)...I'd rather avoid a court if we can. If she gets a lawyer, I'll stop proceedings and retain one for myself. Shouldn't go there (I hope)

I agree with telling the kids the whole truth...my twins just turned 11 yesterday (so we are waiting to tell them until I come home from my next shift...no association to their birthday) and our oldest is 14...they will understand what we are saying, even if they don't fully understand why we can't just stay the way we are...

We are still moving to Airdrie (city just over an hour south) and buying another house, but it is the house for the kids...when I come home, I will be at the house and my wife will go elsewhere for the few days...then when I go back to work, she will be back in the house...best for the kids, even if I have to sleep on a cot in the basement...I can suck it up for a few years.

Dating will be the tricky part for me being that I'm only home for 6 nights, the rest are her's and she will have those 6 with no other responsibilities (it will break my heart when that starts happening)...but I will cross that bridge when I get there...

Later.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Sorry to hear this. Separations are always hard. The one thing you can do for your kids is to make sure they know that the separation has nothing to do with them.

Sometimes kids blame themselves. They need to hear that you both love them with all your hearts.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#6 Unread post by sapaul »

Really sorry mate, I hope all goes well for you.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by madjak30 »

Thank you again.
Our first priority is the kids and disrupting life for them a little as possible...we have just grown apart, no hard feelings but no romantic ones either...so we thought it would be best if we separate as friends and not wait for the arguing & resentment to start.

@sapaul, this is why I had to reneg on my offer for your trip here...things were up in the air back then & obviously are even more so now.

I just have to get used to the fact that there is no reconciliation coming, so it's time to move on. I made my mistakes (her too) and I have to live with the consequences...life is nothing if not ever changing!!

On the positive front...more bike trips are in my future! (gotta try to see the good, right?)

Later.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#8 Unread post by sapaul »

Not everyone was meant to stay together their whole lives, and I agree the kids are a priority. I come from a broken home, yet have been married now for 34 years, so that old syndrome is not always true.

As long as the kids grow up knowing that the decisions you make are best for everyone and you can continue relationships without anger and animosity, then you should be fine. Life is a journey with many paths and choices. I am not going to wish you luck, but I will hope that you make the right decisions and treasure what you have.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Awwww.. I'm so, so sorry to hear. :sorry: I am glad to have an open ear and an open heart to you and your situation as I don't know what I'd do myself (as well) if I lost Andrea's love.

We are all here to help you out as you need it. :flowers:

Remember that things may get rainy once in a while but the sun will always come back out again if given time.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#10 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Joint housing after separation? Hmmmm. Talk to a lawyer before doing something like that.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F