looking for a new job. need ideas.

Message
Author
User avatar
VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Posts: 5996
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:45 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750
Location: The Valley, SoCal

looking for a new job. need ideas.

#1 Unread post by VermilionX »

most of my working exp comes from office work and veterinary assistant work.

i don't mind going to school for a 2 year course but definitely don't want anything that requires 4 years or more.

looking for something with decent pay, regular hours (not a fan of graveyard or on-call shifts), doesn't require too much lifting (im not a very big strong guy).

working at the vet has taught me good customer service skills so im fine dealing with people.

thanks.


PS. i don't wanna talk about how i don't work anymore ^_^
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

User avatar
Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 am
Real Name: Richard Hanson
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Location: Garland, Texas

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#2 Unread post by Hanson »

VermillionX,

It sounds like you are looking for a new carrier and not just a job as you are willing to go back to school. I can not give you any advice about what path to choose, but I can say that you should have a long hard look in the mirror and think about the things you personally love to do and those things that you just hate. A great many people are overly concerned about how much some job is going to pay and not enough about the type of work they enjoy doing. They are then miserable on the job, perform poorly and end up getting paid nothing at all when they get terminated. I think it is best to sit down and make a list of the things you like to do and then look at jobs that fit into that list. If you like your daily work then you are far more likely to perform well on the job, and in the long run you are more likely to make a decent, sustainable living.

Economically, jobs that are hard, require significant skills, those that are dangerous or terrible unpleasant, pay more. The best job in the world is one that you love and everyone else hates. You will be set for life. Example, if you love smelling bad, being cold, wet, and dirty, and don't care if you wife will kiss you when you get home each day, then you are going to be a great plumber and make a killing. Lucky you! But if you hate those things, it is a terrible mistake to become a plumber just because plumbers make a lot of money. At the opposite end of the spectrum are low skill jobs that are easy, safe , clean, and pleasant. You are going to be eating lots of rice, spaghetti and beans.

The only people that can give you good advice about a job choice are those that know you as well as you know yourself.

Live Free Ride Far,
Richard
ImageImage

User avatar
VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Posts: 5996
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:45 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#3 Unread post by VermilionX »

Hanson wrote:VermillionX,

It sounds like you are looking for a new carrier and not just a job as you are willing to go back to school. I can not give you any advice about what path to choose, but I can say that you should have a long hard look in the mirror and think about the things you personally love to do and those things that you just hate. A great many people are overly concerned about how much some job is going to pay and not enough about the type of work they enjoy doing. They are then miserable on the job, perform poorly and end up getting paid nothing at all when they get terminated. I think it is best to sit down and make a list of the things you like to do and then look at jobs that fit into that list. If you like your daily work then you are far more likely to perform well on the job, and in the long run you are more likely to make a decent, sustainable living.

Economically, jobs that are hard, require significant skills, those that are dangerous or terrible unpleasant, pay more. The best job in the world is one that you love and everyone else hates. You will be set for life. Example, if you love smelling bad, being cold, wet, and dirty, and don't care if you wife will kiss you when you get home each day, then you are going to be a great plumber and make a killing. Lucky you! But if you hate those things, it is a terrible mistake to become a plumber just because plumbers make a lot of money. At the opposite end of the spectrum are low skill jobs that are easy, safe , clean, and pleasant. You are going to be eating lots of rice, spaghetti and beans.

The only people that can give you good advice about a job choice are those that know you as well as you know yourself.

Live Free Ride Far,
Richard

yeah, i've been doing some of that lately.

one thing that came to mind is... i LOVE sushi.

im gonna start looking into how i can become a sushi chef. that would be a good fresh start.

thanks.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

User avatar
ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Posts: 2153
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:35 pm
Real Name: a big secret
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

When I was younger and considering my future, I settled on three possible career choices. Each had their benefits and had the potential to be highly financially rewarding. Those three choices were a: Priest b: Politician & c: Pimp-Pusher.....after much soul searching and self debating, I came to the realization that I had far too much self-respect for myself and was far too moral to become either a Priest or a Politician...........
Always ask why.

Image

User avatar
totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 29594
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:00 pm
Real Name: Mike
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Sushi chef would be a nice idea. With the chef path you can work your way up to even a head chef. :D

Mike
NEW 2023 Motorcycle Model Guides
2022 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Posts: 5285
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:46 pm
Real Name: Ryan
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Look into working in a production facility, specifically something along the lines of clean room work. I can personally attest that the hardest part of it is the mental part of it, and it pays well.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

User avatar
sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 am
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little
Location: South Africa

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#7 Unread post by sapaul »

Yakuza administration ?
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

User avatar
sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 am
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little
Location: South Africa

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#8 Unread post by sapaul »

VermilionX wrote:most of my working exp comes from office work and veterinary assistant work.

i don't mind going to school for a 2 year course but definitely don't want anything that requires 4 years or more.

looking for something with decent pay, regular hours (not a fan of graveyard or on-call shifts), doesn't require too much lifting (im not a very big strong guy).

working at the vet has taught me good customer service skills so im fine dealing with people.

thanks.


PS. i don't wanna talk about how i don't work anymore ^_^

what about the animal side of things? How about setting yourself up for house sitting and caring for animals.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

User avatar
VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Posts: 5996
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:45 pm
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#9 Unread post by VermilionX »

sapaul wrote:Yakuza administration ?
yes! count me in! where do i apply?
sapaul wrote: what about the animal side of things? How about setting yourself up for house sitting and caring for animals.
hmmm... thanks, i'll add it to my list.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

User avatar
TnT
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:51 pm
Real Name: Richard
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: Benelli Cafe Racer
Location: UK

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#10 Unread post by TnT »

Any luck?

blues2cruise
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10182
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:28 pm
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: looking for a new job. need ideas.

#11 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You're young. Going to school is quite possibly the best thing you could do for yourself.
Image

Post Reply