Drat. The water main to our house broke.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Drat. The water main to our house broke.

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Go figure. We do have a home warranty that will cover the first $1000 of it, which is nice, but it's an additional $3k bill and they have to go through the landscaping which we will have to put all back ourselves and under the drive way and through 2 trees. :(

:rant:

At least they said if they get started today they can have water restored to us by 6pm.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Drat. The water main to our house broke.

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Jeez... I'm sorry to hear that. Water mains are a PITA.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:Jeez... I'm sorry to hear that. Water mains are a PITA.
Thanks. They are still out in the yard digging the trench, seems the tree roots are giving them quite a bit of trouble.

They said by 6pm (it's 4:30pm now) to restore water and I'm guessing it might take a little longer than that as they haven't started laying the pipe, but hopefully they get it done today as we have no running water (amazing how you take that for granted!).

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

totalmotorcycle wrote:<snip> I'm guessing it might take a little longer than that as they haven't started laying the pipe<snip>
Mike
:twss:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

Probably a freeze up.... :P

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

OMG, what a nightmare this has been but at least the water is back on. They were able to put the water on Friday night around 7pm and came back today to clean up. In the end it turned out our main line was copper, not galvanized steel, so it more than likely didn’t need replacing (just the pipe coming from house to the copper below the ground). And on top of it we figure they grossly overcharged us. Even though we have a home warranty that will pay the plumber $1000, the plumber didn’t really take $1000 off the price, as they should. Instead we paid pretty much full price AND the plumber will end up with a $1000 rebate. Man, I’m in the wrong business. :mad2:

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#7 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Does that plumber realize you're a big shot webmaster? LoL, give us his name and the name of his business, we'll have him sleeping in a refridgerator box next to a storm drain by New Years.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Well, we got the bill down from $2900 to $2450 (after the $1000 less). But here is the scoop.

Our home warranty will cover the first $1000 of it. So what Lone Star Plumbing did is this:

Brand X plumbing quote we got: $2200 total. (not using the home warranty)
Lone Star Plumbing quote we got: $4200 total (using the $1000 off = $3200 plus a "special" $300 savings = $2900).

Lone Star is the plumbing company for Allied Home Warranty so we called them in as with the Allied Home Warranty they give you a discount to go with them and their rates are cheaper than the competition. So what Lone Star did is collect an extra $1000 off of Allied and charged us the normal rate (even though we have to neg a low rate).

I fought hard with Lone Star Plumbing to stop the rip-off and they were ready to cut the main water lines, I got them down to as low as I could.

We called Allied up and they didn't care they were being used. Lone Star said they would price match another company if everything was the same (good luck, but we will try).

Lesson learned: We won't be using Lone Star Plumbing ever again, we won't be signing up again with Allied home warranty either.

Mike

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#9 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Wow, what a buncha crooks!!

Here in Utah we've got this program ran by the local news, 'Get Gephardt'. It's this guy, Matt Gephardt, who investigates instances of consumer abuse and poor business practice in general here in Utah. I don't like the guys politics, but he absolutely sticks it to local businesses over stuff exactly like what you've got here. I have no idea if he does investigations in other states, but I'd be willing to bet you've got something like his program there in TX. Call your local news affiliate and ask them about it. In the meantime, let me be the first to say I'll repost what they're doing to you on my FB and I'll ask my friends to share it around. Anyone else with me?

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

Silly Canadian suckers is all they saw... Stick it to them...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"