Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: Graduated Licensing

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Maybe someone from the UK (or recent residents like mr and mrs total motorcycle) can confirm this, but IIRC, they've also got an L plate requirement for learners, plus a hi viz vest requirement (with an L patch on the front and back of the vest). I'm pretty game for that. A noob might not realize just how invisible motorcycle riders are, and wouldn't know how to position themselves, both to maximize their own sight lines and to make it easier for others to see them.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#12 Unread post by blues2cruise »

ceemes, I don't disagree with you. The situation is bad for sure.

I remember when I was a kid here in Vancouver....drivers were actually quite good. We used to make fun of Alberta drivers....

Starting back in about 1986.....you probably know the event..things changed.

Our governemt invited the world and the world stayed. They brought with them their cultural differences and attitudes....push and shove and complete disregard for the rules here.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#13 Unread post by ceemes »

Sorry Blues,

While a lot of so-called new Canadians can be bad drivers, the three a$$hats I wrote about were all as white as the driven snow, ie, so-called "true" Canadians. From my observations, pi$$ poor driving and the sense that one is better then anyone else crosses all racial, gender, sexual, religious and cultural divides, indeed those sad attributes can easy be called the one thing all Canadian cultures now share. As a motorcycle courier way back when, I got knocked off my bike while on the job around half a dozen times, luckily most were minor injuries, mainly to my pride apart from the last one, and all but one was caused by some middle-aged white male noob not paying attention to what the hell he was doing.

I am hoping to have the Missus here soon and once we get the immigration stuff sorted out, she is going for driving lessons with a professional, there is no way in hell I will teach her, I want her to get the best possible skills going before turning her loose onto the streets.
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

ceemes wrote:Sorry Blues,

While a lot of so-called new Canadians can be bad drivers, the three a$$hats I wrote about were all as white as the driven snow, ie, so-called "true" Canadians.
Ummm..I never said anything about race or gender....