Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: any avid shooters here? (guns)

#21 Unread post by Wrider »

VermilionX wrote: But i did find a online store that sells bulgarian surplus ammo. Bout. 18cents/shot. They just said that it's corrosive and you should clean your gun same day.
Very corrosive. Make sure you thoroughly clean the gun after shooting it. It's kinda like the "Wolf" ammo you'll see in bulk at most sporting goods stores. Cheap, corrosive. Make sure to clean after firing.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#22 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Yup, just clean it good. that said, I wish I never sold my nagant. I only had it for a short time because I bought it at a good price with the intention of selling it but dang! that was an awesome gun. I had the M44carbne version and it would draw a crowd at the range. Huge muzzle flash along with the bayonet attached and people would just stare. I really want to find another M44 sometime and keep it this time.

[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#23 Unread post by VermilionX »

fireguzzi wrote:Yup, just clean it good. that said, I wish I never sold my nagant. I only had it for a short time because I bought it at a good price with the intention of selling it but dang! that was an awesome gun. I had the M44carbne version and it would draw a crowd at the range. Huge muzzle flash along with the bayonet attached and people would just stare. I really want to find another M44 sometime and keep it this time.
im a 5'9" 135 lbs small frame guy. im plan on buying a shoulder pad for the mosin nagant since i was advised that the recoil is pretty strong and you will not be able to fire many shots.

also, i will have to get a scope as well. i have found that i can't align the sights on long guns. prolly something to do with me being right handed BUT my dominant shooting eye is my left eye.

how would you say the recoil is on the mosin? how does it compare to a long shotgun for clay pigeon shooting, only other long gun i've fired.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#24 Unread post by Wrider »

In your case, get the shoulder pad, and have someone big stand behind you for the first shot... lol
The thing is a relative cannon. 7.62 is the bullet diameter equivalent of .308, and the 54R says it packs a whole lotta powder behind it. Probably fairly equivalent to the kick from a .300 Win Mag.
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#25 Unread post by fireguzzi »

If you want to do a lot of shooting at one time then I would most certainly get a pad for it. The metal buttplate and the recoil WILL make for a very sore shoulder with a lot of shooting at one time. It's a monster. Kinda hard for me to compare it to a shot gun. It's been awhile since I really played with one bigger then a 20 gauge. And it had a soft rubber pad on it soo not much of a comparison. All I can tell you is that the recoil on the nagant is manageable if you have a decent stance, it's just the pain of that metal butt plate slamming into your shoulder that will get to you eventually. Technique will help that too...like keeping the gun firmly pressed against your shoulder. but still, pad = good.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#26 Unread post by Wrider »

You can't really compare it to the kick from a shotgun. The shotgun has a relatively slow, steady kick, while the Mosin has a sharper kick to it.
I can put about 20-25 rounds downrange from the Mosin before I have to hang it up for the day.
I will put 200-300 rounds downrange from the 12 gauge before I decide to quit because it's getting too expensive.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#27 Unread post by VermilionX »

i see thanks.

oh decisions... decisions.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#28 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Wrider wrote:
Oh FG, you can skip the background check if you have a CCW in GA? CO they don't allow that, it's every firearm sale, bar none.
Yes you can. You show em the card and an i.d. and they don't have to call it in. Then you can open or conceal carry anywhere except schools govt. buildings churches and bars or any other privatly owned establishment that doesn't want you to. It is kinda frowned upon to open carry by most but you can if you want to.

I've looked into it in my county and it costs about $50. It would pay off if you bought a lot of guns at places that try and charge you a "paperwork" fee for having to to call in a background check.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#29 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I have a .454 casull rosi puma that I use for deer that I absolutely love to shoot. I know the ammo is a bit pricey but I can shoot a couple boxes of ammo through it and not feel a pain at all from the recoil. Although the handgun in the same caliber in told is a different story.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#30 Unread post by fireguzzi »

I Had to look that one up. That's a really nice looking rifle for sure. I didn't know there were any 454 rifles either. I thought they were all hand canons. lol
I would love to get a cool lever action rifle one day. Does it make you feel like a cowboy? :cowboy: