mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

11:11:11:11

#1 Unread post by mogster »

We have the opportunity to mark a very special Armistice date on Friday.

I will be in SW England in a city called Exeter as I am going to a conference.

Whilst I don't always mark the day I think this unique date will deserve my attention.

I hope to be able to join in some sort of service in Exeter & may go to the Cathedral.

Have any of you guys got plans?
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: 11:11:11:11

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

To me, November 11th is the most important holiday, or rather holy day on calender. It is the only holiday in Canada that transcends national, racial, ethnic, religious and political divides and barriers. It is a day of Remembrance not only of our fallen service men and women (note that I did not use the term "hero's" here, sadly that term has been so over used that it has lost its value and meaning), but also a day of Remembrance for all victims of wars folly both past and present. It should be a day of deep contemplation and sorrow. That it is not an official Federal Holiday in Canada is beyond the pale. But what is even more disgusting and sicking are those merchants who would use this Holiest of Holy Days to flog their tawdry wares on with "Remembrance Day Sales".

No, November 11th should be set aside, all business's should close their doors, those who hold religious beliefs should go to their churches, temples, mosques, synagogues, and pray halls and pray for gods forgiveness for what we have done. Those of us who do not hold strong religious beliefs should attend the cenotaph ceremonies and look at the price our old and young veterans have paid for us, and vow never again.

Always ask why.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by mogster »

Thank you Ceemes for expressing exactly how I feel.
MOG

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

mogster wrote:Thank you Ceemes for expressing exactly how I feel.
+1

My nephew is due back from Afghanistan any day now. Both him and his wife were deployed there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Hey, good thinking MOG about the 11:11:11:11!

Great points Ceemes and I couldn't agree more with ya.

Andrea (and I) were watching X Factor on the weekend and I saw the show turned the traditional poppies into "fashion statements", which I felt was a little disrespectful of the meaning. But for many years I have been feeling the average "joe/jane" on the street has lost touch with the whole reason behind Rememberance Day as the generations move on from WWII and other major loss battles.

I did serve briefly in the Canadian Armed Forces (joined up during the 1st Gulf War) and I hold a lot of respect for soldiers around the world. They go out and do the dirty work for the politicans and are not as respected as they should be when they come back. I watched a documentary last month on Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and one of the quotes was "The training to make you a great soldier does not necessarily make you a great civilian". So when they come out, the learned traits are not always what employers look for (ie, things like fast agressive decisions).

I generally do not wear a poppy, it's not because I do not respect the holiday, in fact, I hold a huge amount of respect for it, but I don't need to wear one to remember my own sacrifice in the military nor those I know who are in it or what millions gave for the freedom we enjoy. I give to the poppy fund and to soldier's charities (even here in the UK*), but for me, wearing a poppy brings back too many memories and sad thoughts. Today I think the general population has forgotten about the horrors of war and "War is Cool" and "Weapons are Cool", today the US fights 7 wars and even Canada is becoming more of a war country (we used to be the #1 peacekeeper country, now we are #44 in the world).

* Sadly, the returning UK solider seems to have very little benefits after the return to help them out vs those in the USA or Canada.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by mogster »

Thiought this pic might (as Ceemes reminded us) help represent the many civilian casualties of war such as the brave Merchant Seamen who prevented Britain starving in WWII.
WW11%20mine.jpg
WW11%20mine.jpg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 14064 times
These old mines are used in UK as collection boxes for the Seaman's Mission which aids those injured or the families of souls lost at sea.
MOG

sunshine229

#7 Unread post by sunshine229 »

What a great post with many very good comments. I have to agree with Mike, I think the purpose of the poppy is losing it's appreciation. Younger people just don't seem to connect as well with poppies. It's a shame because it's an easy way to help give back to the soldiers who have fought on your behalf. That being said, no one should be fighting anyways... but I guess that's just an impossible dream.
Andrea :sun:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

I went to a football game (Canadian) a couple of years ago and it was near Rememberance Day. When the Vets were saluted as they paraded around the field, it was the youngsters in the crowd that gave them the biggest ovation and cheered them on. I think with all the conflicts in the middle east/southeast asia, the youth of Canada have a new appreciation of our Vets...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Just a little less than 1 hour away...
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by mogster »

Oops have arrived outside Exeter Cathedral to find that civic service s at the military cemetry on the other side of town.

There are however many people going into Cathedral for an observed silence.

My humble respects to all.
MOG