China vs Japan vs The West

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: China vs Japan vs The West

#11 Unread post by ceemes »

Wrider wrote:For what it's worth, I agree with the both of you in some respects, and disagree with both in others.
I honestly believe the Korean companies are sincerely trying to improve their products. I think Hyundai is definitely starting to become a giant and will become the next Honda, especially because their interests vary so widely. Kia is slow to catch up, but is gradually getting there. Chinese companies on the other hand, from my first hand and my second hand experiences through others, I don't think is doing so well.
Hyundai isn't becoming a giant, it is a giant, you can considered it to be the Mitsubishi of Korea. While most westerners only know Hyundai for its cars, which have greatly improved in quality over the past ten years, Hyundai is also the world biggest builder of ships, owns department stores, and I believe they are involved in the Korean aerospace sector. The company was formed in 1947 and is the largest firm in Korea, welding incredible amount of political and economic clout. The current president of South Korea, Lee Myung-bak, was a former CEO of Hyundai Engineering and Construction.

Given that Hyundai has been in existence as long as Honda, it is surprising the quality of its cars still lag behind Honda.

Bearing that in mind, most Chinese manufacturers have only been in existence for 25 years or less. They are still on the development and learning stage of manufacturing curve. It takes time to fully develop a mature industrial base and economy. Hyundai of Korea has over 60 years of experience.
Always ask why.