One more try

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Re: One more try

#11 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Martin,

I have only recently returned to this forum after quite a few years away but your experiences mirror my own in certain ways. As you have a very active interest in posting, I'd just say kick back for awhile, add your comments to threads and see what develops. You may not get the interaction that you'd like, but your contributions may help others visiting the site.

Sometimes people consider a web-site, dealership, motorcycle brand or whatever as sort of a sacred ground and thus a little ribbing can turn them against you. Traditional human values I guess. I often write in a similar manner to how I speak and it can irk people who do not know me, and even sometimes people who do know me :-) especially since I also have a habit of pulling ideas with a (possibly) tenuous connection into another topic of conversation.

Written correspondence has it's challenges, especially with such a variety of people and large variety of topics available here. Directness works for some, and not for others. You can never be certain that two people are on the same "page" or in the same mindset. Factual information flows easier in writing than does the underlying emotion.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#12 Unread post by Kingshead »

QuietMonkey wrote:Martin,

I have only recently returned to this forum after quite a few years away but your experiences mirror my own in certain ways. As you have a very active interest in posting, I'd just say kick back for awhile, add your comments to threads and see what develops. You may not get the interaction that you'd like, but your contributions may help others visiting the site.

Sometimes people consider a web-site, dealership, motorcycle brand or whatever as sort of a sacred ground and thus a little ribbing can turn them against you. Traditional human values I guess. I often write in a similar manner to how I speak and it can irk people who do not know me, and even sometimes people who do know me :-) especially since I also have a habit of pulling ideas with a (possibly) tenuous connection into another topic of conversation.

Written correspondence has it's challenges, especially with such a variety of people and large variety of topics available here. Directness works for some, and not for others. You can never be certain that two people are on the same "page" or in the same mindset. Factual information flows easier in writing than does the underlying emotion.
Well said.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Kingshead wrote:They should appreciate every member and not invite long standing members to vacate for just expressing their point of view on a topic. The staff have the ability to delete comments if they feel them offensive to minors that may visit the forum. Instead they chose to lock the thread and refuse to allow any of the other members to comment as they saw fit. This has the odor of censorship for free thinking individuals.

The above mentioned thread is titled "I thought bikers were supposed to be tough". It was only a comment on sites not allowing debates due to some crying home to momma and resulting in the banning of members. I was hoping this would not be the case here but apparently to no avail as the locking proves. This is why I reluctantly agreed to stay and give it "one more try" at the staffs request. I felt it best to make my point of view clear from the beginning so there would not be any misunderstanding how I felt on this topic.

Martin
Martin,

Let me set the record straight. I (that's ME, the admin) locked the "I thought bikers were supposed to be tough" thread because it was answered to it's fullest extent, I noted that and locked it so my post was last and people would know why it was locked.

It takes some time to know and feel how the community flows, what is a good post and what is not acceptable. I (and my mods) view everyone has a right to express their opinions, ideas, thoughts, etc, but one persons rights do not supercede anothers rights. The language filters are here because we have under age riders reading and posting on here and I myself don't want to read swearing either.

The bottom of the main forum page there is a "who is online" you will see 800-1500+ people are online at any one time.

P.S. this is the type of thread that is best a PM rather than a forum thread as it deals with something you have a forum issue with and need an answer for, that's where I or one of my many Mod's come in play. So this thread will disapear once you feel your questions are answered.

Our forum is very lightly moderated, we only remove spam posts and very rarely kick members unless they are abusive. The member in question was not kicked or asked to leave by us, it was a decision wholy his own, but he is welcome back anytime and I did PM that to him.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#14 Unread post by Kingshead »

Quiet Monkey was the one invited to leave after posting a response to the thread not John.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Kingshead wrote:Quiet Monkey was the one invited to leave after posting a response to the thread not John.

Martin
I didn't know that; but no matter it all will work out in the wash. We are all here to learn and share. :D
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#16 Unread post by Kingshead »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Kingshead wrote:Quiet Monkey was the one invited to leave after posting a response to the thread not John.

Martin
I didn't know that; but no matter it all will work out in the wash. We are all here to learn and share. :D
This was the reason for my concern. As mentioned, I will continue visiting the site and offer whatever knowledge I have to others and ask for same as needed.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#17 Unread post by Gummiente »

Kingshead wrote:This was the reason for my concern. As mentioned, I will continue visiting the site and offer whatever knowledge I have to others and ask for same as needed.

Martin
Bloody decent of you, old chap!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#18 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Some people have full time jobs, hobbies, families, etc., and don't always have time to play on the internet. When we do get time to play on the internet, it isn't possible to keep up with every single post every person makes.

Some of us just read posts because sometimes there is nothing to say. :dunno: