Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

Another Coyote Attack

#1 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Another attack by a coyote in Nova Scotia prompts question to institute a bounty.
Sinclair was standing near the tourist centre at the Gosse Bridge when a coyote approached and attacked her.

News Clip
"It came at me and grabbed a hold of my leg," Sinclair, told CTV Atlantic. "It didn't get a good lock on it and I kicked it away."

"I yelled. I tried to be as aggressive as I could."

The bite did not break the skin and Sinclair says her leg is bruised. She says the animal should be put down.

"My biggest concern is that it was so aggressive," she said. "If a younger person or a smaller person was out here, they could really be hurt."

Nova Scotia Natural Resources Minister John MacDonell was briefed Thursday night on the incident.

There have been calls for a coyote bounty or cull since last fall, when Toronto folk musician Taylor Mitchell was killed by a pack of coyotes in a Cape Breton park. Mitchell, 19, was taken to hospital after she was attacked by a pack of coyotes while hiking alone in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

She was in Nova Scotia to begin a concert tour of the East Coast.

MacDonell told CTV he is not ruling out a bounty on coyotes in the province, and has asked his staff to look into the idea and speak to officials in Saskatchewan, which implemented a coyote bounty in November.

A friend of mine was walking in the river valley near edmonton with a friend and her dog, and they were being stalked by yoties.
she said it was very creepy and spookie.

So the question is, do you believe in putting a bounty on Coyote's Heads?
I keep trying to Think...but nothing hAppens

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Re: Another Coyote Attack

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

Coyote hunting is pretty common around here. I don't think we have a bounty, but you can sell a fur for $20-40 depending on if you skin it or let the buyer do it.

I don't hunt them myself, too much like shooting a dog for my taste. But I wouldn't hesitate to shoot (or beat to death with a stick) one if it attacked me.

Coyotes around here tend to run like hell when they see people.... they ain't dumb, if their experience with people is running for their lives, they don't mess with us too much. :mrgreen:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

BuzZz wrote:I don't hunt them myself, too much like shooting a dog for my taste. But I wouldn't hesitate to shoot (or beat to death with a stick) one if it attacked me.
Me either, I dont like killing, unless its necessary...but just to start offing a bunch because the actions of the few? If we applied that mentality to say "people"? Oh wait! We do....... :blink:

:hug:

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

I always get a sad giggle out of the horror we humans display when a wild animal such as a wolf, cougar, coyote or bear decides that one of us would make a tasty meal. And yet, we never think twice about the 100's if not 1000's of each we kill every year in the name of sport. Personal I figure if you intrude into their territory and become lunch, too bad, so sad, but mother nature is a dogs and that is how the game is played. That being said, I really do not want such a thing to happen to me or mine. I can see culling a sick animal or one that has become "urbanized" to the point where it will not return to the wild.
Always ask why.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

I can see the dog point, but honestly I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote. They're smart as hell too, so shoot a few "unafraid" ones and the rest will learn quickly.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

I agree, you are out in nature, you take your chances. Survival of the fittest!

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#7 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I wonder if theyre tastey......

If I could get a bounty on them, and if theyre edible, Id probably go hunting for them. Im not a fan of hunting for strictly trophy or money.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#8 Unread post by jmillheiser »

I doubt they taste very good.

It sounds like that area has an overpopulation of coyotes and probably does need to open up hunting to cut down the population. Those coyotes probably dont have any natural predators in that area since wolves are the natural "population control" for coyotes. In the yellowstone area their overpopulation of coyotes went away within a few years of Re-Introducing wolves back into the park ecosystem, problem there being when the wolves leave the park and end up hunting livestock on ranches just outside the park.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#9 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Hmmm...from what Ive researched, coyote is not a very pleasant tasting meat. But nothing that some BBQ sauce wouldnt fix apperently. They are scavengers, as are bears, and bear is very good.

Coyote Soup:

Coyote Hind quarter
cooking oil
2 cups red wine
3 onions, chopped
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper
spices
2 cabbage heads, chopped
8 potates, chopped

Cut meat into chunks and brown in oil. Add wine, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and your other favorite spices. Cook for 30 minutes. Add cabbage and potatoes. Cook until tender. Serve with hot biscuits or corn bread.

2-4 lbs of coyote meat
16 oz of apricot preserves
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 purple onion diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Throw it all in a crock pot and let it cook for 8 hours.

Id give it a try.... but I also eat stuff I hit with my car.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F