Ann Coulter and Canada

Theweapon52
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Ann Coulter and Canada

#1 Unread post by Theweapon52 »

What do you guys and gals think of what happened to her and Ottawa and the so called "warm" welcome here in Calgary.

First off i would like to say that the protestors did a good job by demonstrating their message in a relatively peaceful manner, and for that i commend them.

Personally i think that because free speech is a fundamental right that both Americans and Canadians value its pretty hard to draw lines on what is acceptable and what isn't. I also have a hard time understanding why people go to these speeches if they don't agree with what the speaker has to say. Honestly i have to say that like most extreme right wing politicians, a lot of people have trouble seeing eye to eye with her, including myself. A lot of what Ann has to say is down right disrespectful and offensive, but i don't know if i would go so far as to say that it is hate mongering.

I don't know if enough people take her seriously enough to really say that she has an influence upon the public, however that being said there will always be fringe groups in the world. There was somebody at the University of Calgary that said it best, but i can't remember who it was but they basically suggested that you give someone like her more publicity by rejecting what she has to say rather than allowing her to state her opinions and agree to disagree.

What i think causes the most controversy is the whole free speech thing. Like i said, if we determine that somethings are unacceptable to say in public, for example the majority of what Ann Coulter has to say, what makes her thoughts and ideas inappropriate and others acceptable and vice versa

I thought this article was well written, although i don't agree with parts of it i think it outlines the main issues fairly well.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html

Opinions?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Ann Coulter and Canada

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Don't get me started. :mad2:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

Ignore the ignorant racist bya@#! and she would fall out of the spotlight quicker than an Alberta hockey teams playoff hopes. Why can't people figure this out?

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Manthing Coulter (look at the size of "her" Adams Apple) is a spiteful and vile harpy who should never be allowed across the border. "Her" brand of vile viciousness has absolutely no place here in Canada or in any civilized part of the world. I have had the misfortune of reading a few of "her" books, lent to me by a couple of "her" fans. And while a more generous person may call "her" factually challenged, I have to call "her" an outright liar. Damn near every word "she" writes is dripping with hatred and a vindictiveness that makes the writings of Stalin, Hitler and Mao seem like the writings of Beatrice Potter in comparison.

That she has a huge and adoring audience in the US and a smaller one here in Canada does not speak well for us. Any person who openly advocates forceful and compulsory religious conversion upon pain of death as "she" did for Muslim's, should be dragged out into the streets and shot. And no doubt had "she" said that about Jews or Christians, she would of been.

The right of free speech come with responsibility, just as your right to swing your fist stops just short of my nose, ones right of free speech stops at the point where you are advocating hatred and violence against another group or people or religion. This is something Manthing Coulters fans just don't seem to get.
Always ask why.