Move over!!!

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Move over!!!

#1 Unread post by coffee_brake »

If enough of us feel the same way, maybe we can start a new fad among riders, instead of just waving at each other, how about MOVE THE HECK OVER?!!!

:hellfire:

Rant on:

Plenty of folks have reasons to ride nice and easy, easy and a little slower. Maybe it's a newer rider, maybe the cruiser doesn't have a lot of lean angle, maybe they are just enjoying the scenery.

That's not a big deal on normal roads. But in the twisties....move over! If the rider behind you is going faster, get to the right side of your lane and wave 'em around, you'll both be happier! Nobody made you traffic cop, you are not piloting a snow plow, you do not own more of the road than the other riders. Move over! Just because there are several of you in a group, doesn't mean you get to block the road for everybody else. One by one, move over! Then everybody gets to enjoy the ride.

I've had it with wasting my few good riding days in the mountains, stuck behind riders who won't let me pass. There are very few passing zones in the twisties, but it's so simple to wave another rider around in the lane. Simple and safe.

I'm an intermediate rider and I ALWAYS move over and wave around any faster rider who shows up in my mirrors. It's the only considerate thing to do. And any car that moves into the turnoff so I can pass, I wave and toot the horn and show them I appreciate it. Same for any rider who lets me by. Everybody's happy that they did something courteous for somebody else on the road, and there is no frustration.

But for the eight guys lined up on cruisers in the NC mountains? Yeah, I passed you on the inside, one by one, and you each got furious. I was already furious because I'd been riding well under the speed limit behind you for miles and miles. Cars were backing up behind me and other bikes too. Just move over!!! You're obviously not in a hurry, what's the problem with letting me by so I can enjoy the twisties while you enjoy the scenery?

Tell your riding buddies, practice it yourself, let's make it the "thing" to do...when you get in the twisties and somebody wants to get by you, MOVE OVER!

Rant off, thank you for your time.....
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#2 Unread post by High_Side »

I agree. It's always the guys lumbering along in a tight pack, riding 10 under the speed limit, who get offended when someone gets fed up and passes them breaking in to their herd. If you can't ride the f'n things get outta the way or take up a new hobby! :laughing:

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Re: Move over!!!

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

coffee_brake wrote: ...........Yeah, I passed you on the inside, one by one, and you each got furious. I was already furious because I'd been riding well under the speed limit behind you for miles and miles. Cars were backing up behind me and other bikes too. Just move over!!! .............

Rant off, thank you for your time.....
Passing with Extreme Prejudice! :thumbsup:

It's just gotta happen, Pokey. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#4 Unread post by flynrider »

Good rant! I have never been able to comprehend folks that ride so slow on twisty mountain roads that they have cages stacking up behind them. It's embarrassing :oops:

Since I have left my boy-racer days behind me, I often end up with a sportbike of some type breathing down my neck on twisty backroads. Not only do I attempt to accomodate their pass, I actively encourage it. I enjoy the ride a lot more when I know I'm not crimping someone else's style.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

tymanthius
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 07 BMW F650GS

#5 Unread post by tymanthius »

Thought you might have been the rider in this post http://www.f650.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=227120 until I saw it was the opposite side of the country.

I agree, wave ppl by, but I also think that forcing a pass isn't the right thing to do.

Not sure how to handle it when ppl are rude & don't let you pass. In my cage, I either put up with it, or pull off. It's not such an issue here, as there just aren't that many twisty's.
'07 BMW F650GS :) His name is Mith.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by coffee_brake »

I know how I deal with it...I get a chance and I pass. Riding itself is dangerous, what am I going to do, follow a string of incompepent riders till THEY decide to stop? Because they seem to have the idea that the road is all theirs and I shouldn't be in front of them or going faster than them.

My little rule is, give 'em enough time to pass one good turnout (the roads here are full of them), then it's on.

Don't get many days to ride in the mountains, not wasting it behind a Vance and Hines open pipe Cruiser....
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

king robb
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by king robb »

First the disclaimer.

While riding a cruiser, I don't typically ride in packs and according to my ticket collection I never go ten under anything. I also get annoyed with people (who my wife laughs at me for referring to them as "stupidheads") that ruin great roads by poking along at OOh look a squirrel speeds.

Now to the speaking truth for truths sake.

I find it ironic, on a site that mostly espouses the need for safety in all aspects of riding; from gear, to training and riding within your limits has a thread where people are supporting ideas such as breaking thru a group of inexperienced riders and passing on the inside.

I wont even go into the other "big talk" we usually see concerning being a good ambassador for motorcycling.

/rant
2 wheels on the ground

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

king robb wrote: I find it ironic, on a site that mostly espouses the need for safety in all aspects of riding; from gear, to training and riding within your limits has a thread where people are supporting ideas such as breaking thru a group of inexperienced riders and passing on the inside.

I wont even go into the other "big talk" we usually see concerning being a good ambassador for motorcycling.

/rant
First my disclaimer: I am not one of the so called "ambassadors for good motorcycling" that you refer to on the site although I consider myself a safe rider. So as the person that made the comment "breaking IN to the herd" let me clarify what I mean. When a herd of 3 or more bikes lumbers along in tight formation and it is difficult to pass all of them in one pass I "break-in" to the herd by passing less than the entire group at once. Of course I would not do this if I could not do it safely, but often some of the "herd" take offence to someone interrupting their parade. Now by changing what I said to read "breaking THRU" you were implying that I somehow passed within the same lane. BIG difference.

Now I did agree with the original rant but admittedly missed the part about passing on the inside. That would "pee" me off as well, but then again I'm never in the position where I am holding someone up to that degree.

king robb
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by king robb »

Fair enough...and to be truthful I agree with the original rant in principle as well...folks should try to accomodate each others needs...and some of us need to push a little more..and some like to meander.
2 wheels on the ground

TroubledMind
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by TroubledMind »

Well I'm just happy labor day has passed. I live in the Adirondack Mnts in upstate new york and if I got behind another Prius with New Jersey plates I don't know what I was going to do. While we are on the subject of groups of riders, I live close to Americade and it seems as though that time of year groups of 50+ riders will be riding around. When they pull out of places or come to intersections I find it annoying that they will block the road for 5 minutes so all of them can stay together. Would it really be that horrible if they were broken into 6-10 bike groups instead of one big mob?