Big fat hogs with belching pipes

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Big fat hogs with belching pipes

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Let's face it, as riders we all share a common gripe and that is inattentive cagers who seem to be out to kill us off in job lots. We all have complained and b itched about idiots driving while talking or texting on their mobiles, or sucking back from a big travel mug of coffee, or attempting to put on lipstick or shave. And to be perfectly honest, our complaints are legitimate, valid and with merit.

But have we ever considered about the other shoe on the other foot? The gripes and complaints cagers have about a couple types of riders? You know the ones, the squids tearing hell bent for leather down the highway on one wheel or my personal favorite dis-favorite, the cruiser poser who pulls the baffles out of his pipes and rips down the road farting and thundering like a constipated pig with a terminal case of flatulence.

Here is an Op-ed piece from the Vancouver Province that we all should read and consider carefully. As riders we have a special freedom but that freedom does come with some measure of responsibility and concern about our fellow road users, the cages.
Column: Big fat hogs with belching pipes make me reconsider my stance against Tasers
By Wayne Moriarty, The ProvinceAugust 27, 2009
The noise police in Grandby Quebec have outlawed chainsaws on Sunday. In a related story, Leatherface doesn't plan on moving there anytime soon.

(Insert rimshot here.) The good people of Grandby aren't too happy with this new law. Apparently six days a week of felling trees and making firewood isn't enough.

Me? Well, I'm on the side of the legislators.

Clearly, if chainsaws are a problem in your community, then one day of peace from the noise hardly seems too much to ask.

I would like one day's peace from those damn motorcycles that scream up and down my street.

I'm not talking the sweet roar of a BMW K 1300. I'm talking a big fat hog with an exhaust system that has been retrofitted to make certain it can be heard from space.

The people who ride these bikes are pretty much the worst human beings on the planet. And that includes all members of the Bloc Quebecois and the entire cast to next season's Celebrity Apprentice.

As editor-in-chief of this august publication, I have fought strongly against the use of Tasers. However, where the riders of these bikes are concerned, I am willing to make some exceptions.

The people who own these bikes will argue that the really loud pipes are a safety precaution against careless drivers.

Problem is, most of the riders who have these pipes wear little more than soupcans on their heads for protection.

Ipso facto, safety doesn't seem to be all that high a priority.

John Fuller is an immensely talented news editor here at The Province. He lives in Vancouver's Kits. Not long ago one of these motorcycles roared up his street and sonically set off a car alarm.

This also happens every year at the Abbotsford Air Show when a CF-18 flies too close to the parking lot.

That's right, having one of these motorcycles ride down your street is akin to having a CF-18 in the neighbourhood.

Recently, I contacted Michael Wang, channel manager of Blackbox Phitek Systems Limited. Phitek makes these amazing headphones that all but eliminate surrounding sound.

I wrote him to ask how the headphones would hold up against 120 decibels of screaming motorcycle.

"So, 120 decibels of rumbling sound, or jet plane sound, will get reduced," he wrote.

Reduced. Not eliminated.

It seems then that only the deaf have absolute peace from these people.

Vancouver isn't alone with this problem. A quick Google search reveals numerous communities menaced by these machines.

Well, I am happy to report that I have the solution. Make them illegal. Make messing with your exhaust as illegal as messing with your odometer.

And if anyone complains about safety, tell them to buy a Volvo.
Always ask why.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

I've been saying it for years - "loud pipes ruin rights." But there's a lot of riders out there (and a side note to the editor of that article, they're not all on Harleys) who just don't get it.

Remember when you used to be able to smoke at your desk while working? Had somebody told me 20yrs ago that some day smoking would be all but illegal I would have laughed and blown smoke in their face (I quit smoking 13 years ago). Look where we are today with that issue.

The point is, when enough people get pissed off enough, they will enact a change in legislation and it WILL spread countrywide. Mark my words, loud pipes are on the short list for the next change.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

Noisiest bike I ever heard was at a "Kruise Night" in Freehold, NJ in 2005. At that time Freehold had these events monthly. Residents didn't care for it, but downtown merchants raked in cash. There were plenty of Harleys and big twin customs making lots of noise. But the absolute noisiest........ a customized Goldwing with straight pipes :shock:

That thing was frikkin' LOUD
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Gummiente wrote:I've been saying it for years - "loud pipes ruin rights." But there's a lot of riders out there (and a side note to the editor of that article, they're not all on Harleys) who just don't get it.
Amen to that. A woman in the local riding group has an 1100cc V-Star with loud pipes. So loud that she and her hubby have to ride at the back of the group because nobody wants to ride near her.

I'll keep my stock pipes. :)

Superfly3176
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Davidson Nightster XL1200N

#5 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

Glad I don't live in canada.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

Superfly3176 wrote:Glad I don't live in canada.
Yeah, because it's only up here in the Great White North that people are mad about noise. There's no place anywhere in the entire USA where people are complaining about loud pipes, no, not down there.

Don't forget to use your mirrors and shoulder checks while riding, those blinders you're wearing are obstructing your vision.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

king robb
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by king robb »

Gummiente wrote:
Superfly3176 wrote:Glad I don't live in canada.
Yeah, because it's only up here in the Great White North that people are mad about noise. There's no place anywhere in the entire USA where people are complaining about loud pipes, no, not down there.

Don't forget to use your mirrors and shoulder checks while riding, those blinders you're wearing are obstructing your vision.
BWAHAHAAHAHAHA

People caring about noise is everywhere.

I am still glad I dont live in Canada :USA: :twisted:
2 wheels on the ground

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

Wish away, it's only a matter of time before we annex Indiana, so enjoy it while you can... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

dr_bar wrote:Wish away, it's only a matter of time before we annex Indiana, so enjoy it while you can... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lookit, you know the rules...... want Indiana? Gotta accept Detroit first! :twisted: (....and you get extra points if you take Camden, NJ, too)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

jstark47 wrote:
dr_bar wrote:Wish away, it's only a matter of time before we annex Indiana, so enjoy it while you can... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lookit, you know the rules...... want Indiana? Gotta accept Detroit first! :twisted: (....and you get extra points if you take Camden, NJ, too)
HA.......

We're giving NJ to Quebec.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"