Time to remember and time to say thanks Nov. 11

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#11 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Great article Blues! And what a country we have. I am proud to be Canadian! And to all those, who suffer and die in the name of freedom, from whichever country you reside, you deserve our thanks. :thankssign:

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#12 Unread post by Loonette »

My kids didn't even know what Armistice Day was until I mentioned it. I can remember its significance being taught to me when I was in school... but not for my kids. Kind of a shame.

At the firehouse, we all wore our Class B uniforms on November 11, and several people in town were asking us why we were "all dressed up". When told it was Armistice Day, even people in their 30's and 40's were unaware of what that meant. Hmmm...
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

Loonette wrote:When told it was Armistice Day, even people in their 30's and 40's were unaware of what that meant. Hmmm...
Hmmm.... the rot in our schools must have set in a decade after me. I'm in my 50's, and I remember being taught Veteran's Day was a modern name for the old Armistice Day. We were also taught about the "11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" - i.e. the cease-fire on Nov. 11, 1918. IIRC we learned this during elementary school. Musta been before the dumbing-down started! :roll:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Time to remember and time to say thanks Nov. 11

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

It's time to bump up this thread. It is November 11 tomorrow. Rememberance Day in Canada. Veteran's Day in the USA.

Please stop what ever you are doing at 11 AM on Friday to observe 2 minutes of silence in memory of the men and women who fought for all the freedoms we enjoy.

Once again....here is Pittance of Time.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#15 Unread post by mogster »

Blues I hadn't seen this post when I started 11:11:11:11 so thanx for bringing it back.

As a Scot I was aware of Canadian contributions to help Britain in WW1 + WW2. There are many occasions when I have to remind people that our armed services here are British & not just English! Not quite the same as the Canadian situation but just as annoying!

On a political note...the taxes of all British service personnel are registered & collected into the English pot & not acknowledged as being paid by Scots, Irish or Welsh. So when it is said that Scotland is subsidised I make a point of informing people of this fact.

As a Brit......thank you Canada for being a friend, & thank you for remaining politically & ideologically sepaerate from your neighbour.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#16 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Thanks MOG, you brought a tear to my eye to be proud to be a Canadian living in the UK!
Andrea :sun: