Songs that stir you emotionally.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

Re: Songs that stir you emotionally.

#61 Unread post by fireguzzi »

dr_bar wrote:

Never heard of the guy, I'll have to listen a few times to see if it does anything for me...
If you want to check out his current band Magnolia Electric Co.
He really is one of those guys you got to give a good listen to. Amazing lyrics.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#62 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I'm resurrecting this old thread to add a great tune i just tripped across - if you like acapela groups and folky stuff like a dr. suess kids story given a handful of throttle:

Moxy Fruvous - Green Eggs and Ham

Sam I am...
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#63 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Another bit of Canadian sillyness -- Wierd Al Yankovic, the king of music satire and parody:

- the video includes our icons, Bob and Doug McKenzie - Good Day, Eh!

then some really good music from a Canadian band which is (dare I say) on par with the best from the UK --- a rarity indeed as for me the UK is one community which has "made" the most of my favourite musicians of all time.. going back to the 60s and today.

The Tragically Hip

Check out the early stuff and up to 1996 there's a ton of great literate, fun and funky rockin music with some depth to it... they lost the plot for a awhile for sure after that and I havent listened to much from the later albums - so maybe i will go do that.

A few of the good among many other:

(oops! I noticed The Tragically Hip has been introduced already -- ah well -- it's all good)...
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#64 Unread post by sapaul »

Written by Prince and sang by Sinaed O'Connor

I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#65 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

sapaul wrote:Written by Prince and sang by Sinaed O'Connor
I didnt know Prince had a part in that tune. I have always loved Sinead O'Connor's voice and persona. Sort of strikes me as a salt-of-the-earth, urban granola girl -- flaws and all-- with a little of that in-your-face attitude but in a much gentler way than than say Ani Difranco - similar but different.

I really like The Emperor's New Clothes, and Last Day Of Our Acquaintance, and Mother with Roger Waters:

There are many great female musician's being published nowadays. Some fun, intelligent, emotional, lyrical.. a great range come instantly to mind: Kate Nash, Adele, Lykke Li, Goldfrapp... and from Canada, Holly McNarland, Emily Haines. Some pure raw emotion at times, plus Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeah's... solo and with the group, just like Emily Haines with Metric -- taking on different moods.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#66 Unread post by JVRR »

One song in particular. Without a doubt because of the show, and scenes, it went along with... It is from an anime, which I have no problem admitting I despise the fact that I like anime, but I do like :D.

Other than that, yes, but maybe its the ADD in me, I find them great and emotionally moving for about a week before I have moved onto something else.

I believe before redoing my iTunes I had somewhere near 7,000 plays of this song :D.

EDIT: Actually the same show my avatar is from.

-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#67 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Someone mentioned electronica previously, and so if this is the sort of stuff that gets you motivated, I like some of these tunes for cycling and workout tunes... althought right now i am doing something fairly technical and boring (processing digital images) and my mind needs a little distraction that keeps it rhythmically focused, so i head for electronica (well usually i head for classical like Yo-Yo Ma, the cello master, but not today):

Infinity Project - Wow

KoxBox, a danish electronica group:

and Alabama3 -- although some of there songs lyrics are a bit f***ed-up.

it's all pretty much the same most this goa stuff, but it's good for having a long continous rhythm to go along with a workout... i have this CD from the UK: TIP records - Blue Compilation. They also have Yellow and Orange "colour compilations" --- also not bad to keep awake on long drives on dull roads in equally dull 4-wheel boxes...

1 Doof - Star Above Parvati 6:45
2 Koxbox - Fuel On 9:24
3 Orichalcum - Wicked Mille 9:12
4 Hallucinogen - Shamanix (Remix) 8:10
5 Astral Projection - Enlightened Evolution 7:59
6 Infinity Project, The - Wow 7:11
7 Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Megallenic Cloud 7:27
8 Eco (2) - Toxic Recall 7:48
9 Inscape - Nothing Like A Good Friend 8:12
10 Brainman - U. R. The Alien 6:48

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#68 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

This tune totally reminds me of someone I met 10 years ago ...

The Replacements - Achin to Be

bulldog75
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2006/honda/shadow spirit 750 dc

#69 Unread post by bulldog75 »

pink floyd any song just put the jukebox on random and start playin

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#70 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

bulldog75 wrote:pink floyd any song just put the jukebox on random and start playin
I have many Floyd CDs and some of the bootlegs. My brothers and sisters got me into Floyd at a young age. I like the jazz influences and the variety: there soundtrack albums, the very well known stuff, and I really like Barrett's tunes as well. Roger Water's can spend a little too much time on the somber side of things.

There is always some Floyd on my MP3 players... lately one of my faves is Gilmour's Live in Gdansk album, and Fat Old Sun is a great tune from that album. It sounds as good live as the original studio recording.

Wierdly enough this tune was playing on the local radio station today - i dont listen to radio too often, especially in this town, but I caught this old classic this morning and found a vid - i had completely forgotten about this guy, although I do listen to some of his ex-bandmates stuff, Peter Gabriel.

Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight