Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Don't buy HD-DVD It's a Dead Format

#1 Unread post by Brackstone »

You can read the discussion below if you want for but it's a mute point HD-DVD is officially a dead format

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/16/toshi ... -ray-wins/

---OLD Discussion---
I don't know how many people are monitoring this or care, but I'm sure enough people probably remember the VHS/Beta max war and are probably making pretty informed decisions. However I don't want to see anyone get ripped off.

Nevertheless I constantly hear people getting misinformation when I am at my local electronics stores about how HD-DVD is the way to go. Heck most people just think HDTV well HD-DVD is the other format and what's this blu-ray thing?

But I wanted to WARN everyone that HD-DVD is currently losing the format war! If you are on the fence and being tempted by the falling prices you should continue to stick it out as I believe these price drops are really a fire sale!

So far almost all of the major studios are exclusive to Blu-Ray and now Netflix has dropped support for HD-DVD and it will phase it out by the end of the year. Blockbuster I believe only rents HD-DVD movies online and at around 20% of it's retail.

I was skeptical for a while because I know people are saying more players is where the market is and movie studios will go that way but it just doesn't appear to be happening. With Netflix now backing Blu-Ray exclusively I think that not only is it pivotal for this one company but it is a good sign for how the war is going in general.
Last edited by Brackstone on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#2 Unread post by JC Viper »

That's funny because me and Ofblong started getting into this topic back on another thread when I noticed his sig being an HD DVD fanboi :laughing: .

Anyhow it looks like places like Anandtech, Ars, Extremetech, Tomshardware etc. are bringing news on how Blu-Ray is edging HD DVD in adoption probably in part due to the price drop on PS3. The thing is that HD DVD players are cheaper and Toshiba is including them in $800 laptops. Plus HD DVD isn't as bad with DRM as Blu-Ray or so the argument goes.

It'll probably be sometime before a winner is chosen. If anything there might be more players that integrate both formats which makes the whole thing seem moot.

As for me I just jumped on the DL DVD-+R/RW thing for my PC which means I won't be interested in this stuff until there is one dominant format with finalized specs.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#3 Unread post by JC Viper »

Here we go, another update while I was doing my usual browsing on Anandtech.com http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10637
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#4 Unread post by Brackstone »

Hi Viper,

Yes only time will tell what will happen. My concern is that people always get pushed into things when they walk into a store and I'd hate to see someone spend $200 + Movies + (decent) HDMI cables.

With the price drops in HD-DVD coming out full speed I'm afraid people may jump on board and I just don't see that much support from the studios and other associated companies.

Do I own a Blu-Ray? Yeah I own a PS3, but I was gonna buy it one way or another. But I'm not a movie watcher, I have maybe 5 DVDs I bought on my own and then I have my Invader Zim and ATHF collection and that's about it.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#5 Unread post by Brackstone »

Well I have to take back what I said about Best Buy pushing HD-DVD

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site ... 8&vnsId=33

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I don't see how there can be a difference between cheap and expensive HDMI cables. Digital signals are an all or nothing event. You either get it or you don't. It doesn't succomb to the same problems as analog.

Most articles I've seen have said the same thing too... am I way off here?

Oh- and popcorn is apparently switching over to blueray as blue ray sales have been much higher than HD-DVD- thanks fark.com!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#7 Unread post by Brackstone »

storysunfolding wrote:I don't see how there can be a difference between cheap and expensive HDMI cables. Digital signals are an all or nothing event. You either get it or you don't. It doesn't succomb to the same problems as analog.

Oh- and popcorn is apparently switching over to blueray as blue ray sales have been much higher than HD-DVD- thanks fark.com!
I can't testify to the difference or not, I just know the various high tech places I worked at never seemed to skimp on the cost of cable when it came to video signals.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#8 Unread post by JC Viper »

Brackstone wrote:
storysunfolding wrote:I don't see how there can be a difference between cheap and expensive HDMI cables. Digital signals are an all or nothing event. You either get it or you don't. It doesn't succomb to the same problems as analog.

I can't testify to the difference or not, I just know the various high tech places I worked at never seemed to skimp on the cost of cable when it came to video signals.
Everyone knows that Monster cables are all or nothing with their solid gold connections and all. :P

Only the Joe Averages will fall for the Monster hype given to them by the Best Buy associate.

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#9 Unread post by koji52 »

Monster cables are only worth the money if they're 1/4" guitar cables. Other than that, I've never seen a difference between your regular brand HD cables and Monster Cables.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#10 Unread post by Brackstone »

Rumor on the rise Toshiba to switch to Blu-Ray. Toshiba is pretty much the sole manufacturer of the HD-DVD drivers and owner of the format. If they switch it's over.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/tosh ... op-hd-dvd/

I don't expect you'll see a very formal announcement about this for a month or two as I believe they want to try to clear out whatever inventory is hanging around first. Hate to say that but they'd rather try to recoup any of their loss even at the expense of consumers :\

UPDATE: Walmart pulling HD-DVD off the shelves
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/15/wal- ... s-by-june/