Times have changed!

zed
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

Times have changed!

#1 Unread post by zed »

I received this via e-mail from a friend.
I posted here because I'm not sure where else to post it.
Although certain references are clearly American, things are not too different in Canada.

--------------------

See what 50 years will do...

Scenario:
Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.
1956 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.
2006 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1956 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.
2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario:
Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
1956 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.
2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario:
Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.
1956 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's Mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario:
Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.
1956 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.
2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario:
Pedro fails high school English.
1956 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2006 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state Democratic party. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

Scenario:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
1956 - Ants die.
2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1956 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.

Is something wrong here?
(something to be said for the good ole days...)
I always follow the rules.
The only exception to the rule occurs when I make an exception to the rule not to make an exception to the rule and that only occurs under exceptional circumstances.

2005 Vulcan 500 LTD

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: FZ6

#2 Unread post by intotherain »

Most are huge overstatements and completely wrong. :?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

intotherain wrote:Most are huge overstatements and completely wrong. :?
Not really. I grew up in the 60's and I can relate to most of these.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by JCS »

Sad to say but there is a lot of truth there.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Having just come out of school yeah, there's a lot of truth there. I've mentioned it before, the year I was a junior, the seniors released a bunch of golf balls down a side stairwell. They got caught, diplomas were given after negotiations, were not allowed to walk, had to perform community service.
Also, recently a girl got expelled from school. She had a 4.2 GPA, was on the honor roll, NHS president, regularly did community service, etc etc etc. The reason behind it? The police were doing a drug-sniffing dog search of the parking lot. The dog hit on her car for alcohol, before it was hers it had been in an alcohol related traffic accident. They searched her car (she gave permission) and found (inside her first aid kit, in her locked glovebox, in her locked car) a Swiss Army knife. They accused her of weapons violations and she went to court over it, school expelled her, and now she can't get into colleges because of her academic record.
Another little boy (7 IIRC) had a lunch packed by his mom. She mistakenly included a metal knife instead of a plastic one to cut his sandwich. He brought it to the teacher, she freaked, called the principle, they called the cops, had the poor kid in handcuffs (literally) while asking him why he brought the knife and what he planned on doing with it.
Kinda crazy world we live in...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#6 Unread post by Nalian »

Ahh yes, the good ol' days. Too bad we can't still oppress women and minorities like we used to..that was when life was good.

Actually this whole list is laughable. The 1956 parts might be accurate, but the 2006 sure isn't!

:roll:

Sure, some things were more reasonable. However:

Perhaps in 1956, Johnny who brought his rifle to school wasn't there to shoot everyone. Today..that's just not the case. Besides, wtf do you need to bring a rifle to school anyway?

Today: Fist fights don't always end in police and swat teams, gross over-generalization. As with the ADD - sure some kids are overmedicated, but come on. Heaven forbid that kids with real ADD be treated and able to function like normal people.

Father's are not arrested for spanking their kids - beating? Yes. Spanking? No. Kids do not get expelled for bringing headache medicine - at least not as recently as 5 years ago. There are no ACLU cases challenging english being taught in HS. Kids still play with fireworks in legal and illegal states. It's illegal here, but that never stops anyone and no one is ever arrested for it. I have yet to hear a case where a teacher has been charged as a sexual predator for a single hug. For having sex with kids - definitely! hugging them for crying..hardly.

Seems the only common thread is people thinking it was better in the past. Which people have been doing for as long as we've been able to talk to one another. Hey maybe later one of you can tell the rest of us how when you were a kid, you had to go to school through 6 feet of snow uphill both ways and liked it!

I'm not saying that school zero tolerance policies aren't over the top, but a lot of that stuff in that email is just flat out BS about modern day, and certainly glosses over a lot of awful things that happened in the past.

I can only imagine what the equivalent would have been for the previous era.
1906: Strung up negro for looking sideways at you with a proper lynch mob.
1956: Only got to beat up negro and for looking sideways at you, damn abolution!

:roll:

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#7 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Zed

I was starting out in school in the UK in 1956 and I recognise some of the stuff in your post. It was very different then but I don't think it was any better. From a UK perspective, there's truth in it but a lot of exaggeration too. And there is also everything it leaves out.

Yes there was less heavy-handed legal intervention in schools, but there was a lot more serious bullying too. Many kids had a very bad time of it and ended their school days damaged by the experience. I saw a lot of that.

Yes, teachers kept much more effective control of classes by the use of corporal punishment, but they often physically abused the kids in their charge. I saw, and experienced, that as well. Physical punishment was often meted out unfairly, whimsically and violently. I saw kids being beaten about the face or coming home with big welts across their back - because they lagged behind in a school run.

Yes, I think the state has responded neurotically to the revelations of sexual abuse in schools, but that's because it is being increasingly realised sexual abuse did happen then back in the 50s. (Over here, Nalian, we have had cases of teachers being suspended for something as simple as hugging a distressed child - the problem is that teachers are now afraid to respond humanly in this way and kids learn some painful and damaging lessons as a result)

Parents in the 50s and 60s didn't just regularly 'punish' their kids , they were often violent and abusive towards them. Punishment, if it means anything at all, is a measured response to a 'crime'. In the 50s and 60s parents would take their anger, rage and frustration out on their kids, often very viciously. There was nothing measured about it. Yes, kids learned how to become 'normal' (poor kids), as a result and then passed their ('normal') warped and abusive lessons forward onto the next generation. (It depends what you value most, I suppose, conformity or the ability to form genuine, respectful relationships.)

Women were still second-class citizens in the 50s and 60s. The 50s especially tried to pressurise women to adopt domestic and subservient roles. If a woman bacame pregnant outside marriage for example, she was automatically a 'mean'. Everyone thought she must have led the guy on and once aroused, he, poor soul, could not then help his sexual urges. Women were banged up in psychiatric wards and medicated for 'immoral behaviour'.

Authorities are much more careful these days because there is a great deal of litigation. In the 50s everyone accepted the whims of authority and didn't challenge it. As a result it got away with all kinds of abusive and negligent behaviour. That is true of teachers, the medical profession, the police, and authority figures of all kinds.

I'm not saying that things are any different now. It's just the methods used that are different. Kids are no longer beaten into conformity (ie made 'normal'), now they are drugged into it on Ritalin. I was surprised recently to find that Ritalin isn't a new drug. It was discovered in the 1950s and used extensively in the Soviet prison system for subduing uncooperative prisoners. It was also used to cause personality disorders in political dissidents.

In Japan and much of Europe ADD and ADHD are not regarded as valid diagnoses. In the US and the UK it is and Ritalin is prescribed to keep kids quiet - in other words it is often used as a form of social control.

So much for progress!
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by slimcolo »

TRUE HOW SAD BUT IT IS TRUE!

When I went to High School, rule was that firearms had to be checked in at the Principals office or left in your car. All knifes over 3 inches had to be carried in a scabbard on belt. (under 3 inches could be carried in pocket) We were taught how to make Black Powder in Chemistry. Competitive shooting was a High school sport just like Football, even the same coach. (I lettered 3 years) We had School sponcered Hunting, Shooting and Reloading clubs. (yes the School owned reloading equiptment) Marksmanship (rifle and bow) was part of PE class. (6th grade through Graduation for rifle 3rd through graduation for bow) I made hunting knifes in Metal shop and received a grade for each of them. We still had PRAYER and celebrated Christmas, not moments of silence and winter holidays.

Abbie Hoffman's Steal this Book was in School Library. (for about a year) The library carried Soldier of Fortune, the National Rifleman, the Gun Digest.

Firearms and Hunter Safety was taught as part of 7th grade Science. (Instructors were DOW Game Wardens and Sheriff's Deputies)

We had a School Nurse that could give you an asprin ,Tylonal, Peptol Bismal, Iodine, Amodium and Kayopectate. (also caster oil)

Yeah we had our share of fights but NO ONE ever used a knife let alone a gun. There were no security or cops in our school. Get caught fighting and Principal would take you both in Gym and then you settled with Boxing gloves on. And we had corporal punishment. But every morning (in School) we stood for the Pledge of Allegiance and the Principal's daily PRAYER. (this was also done at all assemblies and before all sports events)
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

zed
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by zed »

Good responses people!
I find it interesting that some (most?) of you got the impression that the scenarios implied that things were somehow "better" 50 yrs ago.
Maybe it's just me (I was around in '56), but when I read them, my thinking was that things were somehow "simpler".
I always follow the rules.
The only exception to the rule occurs when I make an exception to the rule not to make an exception to the rule and that only occurs under exceptional circumstances.

2005 Vulcan 500 LTD

beardking
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by beardking »

Nalian wrote:Ahh yes, the good ol' days. Too bad we can't still oppress women and minorities like we used to..that was when life was good.
I'LL SAY!!! (I kid, I kid)
Nalian wrote:Perhaps in 1956, Johnny who brought his rifle to school wasn't there to shoot everyone. Today..that's just not the case. Besides, wtf do you need to bring a rifle to school anyway?
Hunting before or after school. Happens all the time in more rural areas of OK (I know) and other states (I'm guessing)
Nalian wrote:Heaven forbid that kids with real ADD be treated and able to function like normal people.

No one is saying that kids with reall ADD shouldn't be treated, but it shouldn't be considered the blanket diagnosis for everything like it is these days. (that being said, I'm going to be getting tested in the near future for it myself)
Nalian wrote:Father's are not arrested for spanking their kids - beating? Yes. Spanking? No. Kids do not get expelled for bringing headache medicine - at least not as recently as 5 years ago. There are no ACLU cases challenging english being taught in HS. Kids still play with fireworks in legal and illegal states. It's illegal here, but that never stops anyone and no one is ever arrested for it. I have yet to hear a case where a teacher has been charged as a sexual predator for a single hug. For having sex with kids - definitely! hugging them for crying..hardly.
While these may be over-sensationalized, the way things are going it's not to far fetched to believe that any of these have or will happen. As for the English thing, while not trying to remove English from the schools, here in Texas there is a firm push to REQUIRE classes to be offered in Spanish to accomodate the members of the population that seem to have no interest in learning the nationally accepted language of their new homes.

Oh, and before you start thinking I'm 80 year old depression era racist, I'm 33 years old and just observant.
1999 Nighthawk 750