anyone install do anything with solar/wind power systems?

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

anyone install do anything with solar/wind power systems?

#1 Unread post by ofblong »

Ok I have been looking at all aspects of what I can do to build my family a more energy efficient house when I go to build. Might be 3-5 years from now before I actually start building but I like to do things ahead of time like do my research. Anywho has anyone seen or heard of any problems with using combo solar/wind power systems to basically run a house. I am not worried about cost right now (wind power im looking at is about $3000 before install not sure what my install costs will be but ill install it) esp since its gonna be a few years down the road yet lol. I will still hook up to the electric company cause you never know. I mean there could be a day with no sun or wind and thus no power but anywho anyone dealt with these type of systems and can point me into a better direction that google? Google gives me tons of options but nothing with real info like how to install and any real problems people may have had with install or after install or what not. Types of warranties if any? I am assuming I would have to add in extra home owners insurance in case of damage to either system...
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

I'll put it on my calendar to call my buddy in the morning... He and his dad are running a solar/wind energy business right now, so I'll get him in contact with ya!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

You should definitely hook up to the local power grid, not just for those days that you can't supply yourself with enough juice, but also for those days when you produce more then you can use. A lot of electrical companies have plans in place to purchase surplus juice from people such as yourself.

If and when I get around to building, I want a place on the coast with private shoreline....and I'll be looking at wave/tidal powered generators, there are some interesting developments along those line right now.

And after going thru a 12 hour black-out today, it'll be nice to independent of my local grid.
Always ask why.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#4 Unread post by ofblong »

ceemes wrote:You should definitely hook up to the local power grid, not just for those days that you can't supply yourself with enough juice, but also for those days when you produce more then you can use. A lot of electrical companies have plans in place to purchase surplus juice from people such as yourself.

If and when I get around to building, I want a place on the coast with private shoreline....and I'll be looking at wave/tidal powered generators, there are some interesting developments along those line right now.

And after going thru a 12 hour black-out today, it'll be nice to independent of my local grid.
well I was thinking of adding a power generator as another backup in case storms take out both my alternative power and the power lines from the power company lol.

oh and wrider that would be cool. Like I said I want to learn as much as I can about different options before I start building in the next 3-5 years and want to make sure I dont make the wrong choice :D.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

ceemes wrote:And after going thru a 12 hour black-out today, it'll be nice to independent of my local grid.
Yup, a back up system would have been great after being in the sun, (I mean dark) after that 40 minute outage yesterday... :roll: :mrgreen:

I shouldn't tease because this part of town gets hit pretty bad sometimes. I was just lucky yesterday...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I watch for eco-friendly ideas all the time, and have caught a few recent specials on various CBC TV programs. Very cool stuff.

here's links on some solar stuff in the town of Okotoks, just outside Calgary... they use a variety of alternative energy sources very successfully... i only scanned these articles online briefly, but the original TV programs may also be available on the site.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/living-green/

and check some video here:
http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/r ... ities.html

//monkey
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

motoken
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by motoken »

I've been looking into this myself. I don't know what you've looked at but here are a couple of interesting sites.

http://www.skystreamenergy.com/skystream/

http://www.pacwind.net/#deltaII

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#8 Unread post by ofblong »

kind curious how the verticle pacwind is better than a fan???? thanks for the links I will def check out more about that pacwind when Ihave more time to do so.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#9 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Well, one of my neighbours out at the lake has a complete solar system set up. and has enough juice to run all his lights, stereo and tv off of about 3 or 4 deep cycle batteries. Its more of a day time alternative to the deisel generators most of the people have out there (no hydro) but he does use the generators on occation. I think the set up ran a few hundred bucks, but thats small scale, not enough for a house with kids I would think...and appliances.

I have some info written down on what the specs to the system are, Ill try to find them and PM them to you.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

motoken
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by motoken »

ofblong wrote:kind curious how the verticle pacwind is better than a fan???? thanks for the links I will def check out more about that pacwind when Ihave more time to do so.
I'm not sure if the fan styles turn into the wind or if they are a fixed direction.
The vertical type wouldn't really matter which direction the wind is coming from.