totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Emotions do not affect cancer survival: study

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Please post your thoughts and opinions as you read this below...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emotions do not affect cancer survival: study
Updated Mon. Oct. 22 2007 10:04 AM ET
CTV.ca News Staff

People who have a positive outlook about their cancer are just as likely to die as people who are depressed about their disease, report U.S. researchers.

Cancer patients are often encouraged to stay as happy as possible and many people believe that a positive outlook has the ability to heal life-threatening diseases, even though previous research suggests that it does not. Dr. James Coyne from the University of Pennsylvania set out to test the theory once again.

He and a team analyzed data from two studies on the emotional states of 1,093 patients who had head and neck cancer. The patients completed a quality of life questionnaire during their treatment, which assessed their emotional status.

Over the course of the two studies, 646 patients died.

The analysis showed that emotional status was not associated with survival rate -- even after the researchers took into account other factors, such as gender, tumour site or disease stage.

"The hope that we can fight cancer by influencing emotional states appears to have been misplaced," Coyne said in a statement.

But he added that there are still benefits to maintaining a positive attitude during cancer treatment.

"If cancer patients want psychotherapy or to be in a support group, they should be given the opportunity to do so. There can be lots of emotional and social benefits. But they should not seek such experiences solely on the expectation that they are extending their lives."

While this study may not end the debate, it does provide strong evidence that psychological factors cannot predict cancer survivability, Coyne says.

Coyne's analysis is published in the journal Cancer.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Some Comments for this story I wanted to share before they killed the story. Please add your own.
--------------------------------------------

Dr. Connolly
It feels to me like the term "positive thinking" is trite given the gravity of coping with cancer. Perhaps we should encourage those with any disease to think "accurately" about their present day, here and now experiences. I don't think many people with cancer are fooled by believing that positive thinking cures them - I am aware, however, that many believe that knowing what they're facing can bring decisivness and at times comfort as it relates to treatment options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. English
From the comments I think that many people are misinterpreting the intention and usefulness of this study. It is not aimed at patients. It is aimed both at doctors and at "alternative" practitioners who either use or advocate positive thinking type methods in place of demonstrably useful treatments.

This knowledge can save lives by keeping such methods from detracting from treatments that can help extend lives, such as funding or using such methods in lieu of proper treatments.

Complaints about its insensitivity towards patients are misplaced. This knowledge is helpful to patient care. Positive thinking is still highly useful for the patient and they should be encouraged in this manner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me Here Now
I agree that this is a depressing article, and I had believed that attitude was a big part of surviving major illnesses like cancer. However, this is a scientific study and I do think that doctors/researchers should know about it. This doesn't mean that people shouldn't be positive or that we shouldn't encourage patients who have been labelled "terminal." There are cases of people with terminal illnesses who are still alive, and will survive longer than any doctor or scientist would expect. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do science or research what works and what doesn't.

Imagine if you had only $1000 to spend on your terminally ill loved one, and you can either spend it on a controversial drug with a 25% success rate, or you can spend it on therapy to improve their depressed emotional state. If you've read this article, you probably opt for the chancy medicine over the chancy therapy.

Michelle
As much as people love to hear (and believe) statistics these days, this one is by far the most insensitive I have read in a long time. As someone who is currently experiencing the effects of a loved one going through this terrible and scary event, I am absolutely appalled to see this published. Granted it may be true, but why crush the only hope for some who are so vulnerable?

Geminate
It is well proved that emotions do play a part in having a positive lifestyle. People that are depressed are usually prone to illness and immune response is lethargic. While I can't see having a positive attitude as a cure for cancer, surely it does help the immune system in keeping the body as healthy as possible.

Steve
I have a brother with lymphoma & if he were to read this article it would upset him a lot cause he does think that being positive is the key to healing & so do I.

Paul Saulnier
This is not necessarily a negative story. It should be encouraging news for those who find it very hard to stay positive during difficult times. It means that failing to do does not worsen your chances.

J.B.
I don't see how every news outlet in the country publishing these findings is helping anyone. Having a positive attitude, though not a care, helps the immune system. If nothing else a positive attitude will make their remaining time more pleasent.

Brian
Well, I'm going to chat about it with my radiation therapists this afternoon when I get my treatment; and we'll have a big laugh and that'll release the endorphins or W/E is keeping me happy! And I'm going to make a million replacing those damn strings on the gowns with velcro!

Peter
Interesting that being sad, depressed and stressed has been proven to bring on illness. Yet they say a posative attitude does not help keep one healthy. I wonder what the control factors all were on this study.

Cable
You and I may not like them when they say things that we don't agree with, but if properly done, statistics provide a truthful answer to a hypothesis without being subjective. Read the book Freakonomics for a good layman's view of statistical analysis at work.

John Lardinois
How do you explain Lance Armstrong? If he subsided to the disease he would be dead. I would say that the study couldn't judge how people were in tune with their bodies, because the mind must focus on fixing the physical problem, not just acting like it will go away by thinking happy thoughts. The thoughts must be concentrated on fixing the problem not "everything is going to be okay" which is what this study focused on.

Drew
This is an impossible study. For healing via emotional outlook it is crucial to know what someone's attitude is all the time, not just whenever reviewed. Many people who project positivity inwardly are not, which again affects these types of results. To conclusively perform this study, patients would be required to undergo deep psychoanalysis (to verify they're projected feelings are sincere), and be monitored daily.

Serryjw
I am a 15 year, stage 3, breast cancer survivor. I have said many times in the last 15 years, " I don't know if a good attitude saves your life BUT I am sure a BAD attitude kills you". There is no question that there is a 'mind/body' connection. There is a difference between healing and curing. I did my part and the doctors did their part. I will always believe that it contibuted to my survival.I highly recommend Louise Hay's tapes. She has one of those magic voices that leads you in affirmations. She is a cancer survivor and knows what you are going through.

Anti Bush
Happiness is a very personal and complex characteristic that cannot truly be measured by a questionnaire. Many may have answered as they decided then and there to feel, or replied as they thought they should, etc.

As with many studies, take this one with a grain of salt.

Medical and other sciences, as advanced as they may seem, are still in their infancy.
Grade ‘E’ for effort.

Brad
Having a positive attitude sure did help me survive. In 2004 I was diagnosed with stage 1 Squamous Cell Cancer of the Tonsil. That stage 1 viewpoint made it easier for me, as well my family and friends to get through it. Come November 2004, I was going in for a second opinion about an additional surgery. In reading all my reports, turned out I had stage 4. It blew my mind and scared the heck out me. However, at that point I felt like I had beaten it. I do not think I would felt the same or did as well with the treatment had I dwelled on the stage 4 position. Staying focused on beating stage on was hard enough.

Studies Sceptic
Problem with scientific studies is that one can claim xyz and a new one comes along to say it isn't so. The reason is that often times the groups are not well controlled. In this study for example, how can one assure that the people flagged as positive were in fact positive? They could have appeared positive to the statistics collectors and in reality they were depressed. Positive thinking has been proven to help overall health and it also makes perfect sense.

Denise DuCharme
I have fought breast cancer last year and again this year. I am 42 year old single Mom. I believe everybody should have a positive attitude, healthy or not. Life is very short and if you give into the negative, to me, thats cancer all in itself. I live in the moment and appreciate everything I have. I can only be with positive people, negative energy for me is unhealthy it brings you down. This is a negative article, I however will not let it bring me down. Peace Out

johnn
It seems any new study contradicts a previous study. Bacon is bad for you - bacon is OK. Too many eggs give you high cholesterol - but now they don't. Breast self examination is a life-saver - no it isn't.
I am currently undergoing radiation therapy - and I'm refusing (mostly, anyway) to be depressed by the fact I have cancer.
Whether or not a positive outlook helps you live longer or not may be debatable, but a positive outlook certainly gives you a better quality of life.
My 2¢ worth . . .

sfdc
The one thing I can attribute to my success and cancer survival was a positive mental outlook. What other way is there?! I survived stage IV lymphoma and was treated the same way as the majority of patients in the last 10 years. My oncologist specifically told me that my mental outlook and attitude were what separated me from many in the same position. There is no need to publish this work, it does not serve the public in a meaningful way. Furthermore, it destroys the placebo effect. To anyone out there fighting cancer or close to someone fighting - know this - regardless of what ANY study says, a positive outlook improves the quality of life beyond reasonable doubt.

BJH
I work in cancer research and I view this from the perspective of someone who is always suspicious of retrospective studies. Sources of error are always higher in research that looks back after the disease has been diagnosed. Bottom line, until you see good data on several populations in prospective studies let the buyer beware.

That said anyone who believes that having a positive attitude is a waste of time is missing the point that we all are on borrowed time. Just because you know what is going to eventually kill you should not change the fact that every day everyone should try to be positive. Even if it does not ward off the inevitable at least you had a little more joy in your life before the end.

S. Scott
The one thing that was not taken into account, in my opinion, are those who said they have a positive attitude but really didn't. Some people do not walk their talk.

William
I've never really bought the "being positive makes you healthier" (unless it makes you exercise or something.) Consider - if you were someone prone to being sick all the time, would you not likely have a really poor attitude? Conversely, if you were healthy all the time, would you not be more likely to have a positive attitude?

JW
Lance Armstrong received effective treatment because he had access to a clinical trial. Undoubtedly his relatively good overall health contributed as well. Sadly, most Americans are denied access to clinical trial medications because insurance companies refuse to cover them and hospitals attempt to cost shift and charge outrageous fees.

Albert Hurt
I was diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer three years ago and if there is one thing that I have learned is to take everything that a oncologists or a doctor says about cancer with a grain of salt. They are driven by dollars and the big medical companies.

Prevention should be made the number one issue and not new chemotherapy drugs and studies. Alternative medicine should be number one for research.

Until the big drug companies get out of the back pocket of the politicians and doctors there will be no near cure for Cancer.

If you are happy do you feel better about your surroundings and self??

Studies that find emotional feeling do not effect survivability of any disease is hogwash in my opinion.

Tammy
Positive thinking is in the same family as prayer. People need to get real about these types of diseases and not expect wishful thinking to cure them.

Annamaria
The comments to this article are far more interesting than the article itself. I really appreciate all the feedback from folks in the trenches. Thanks friends!

MG
How many times have we read stories about various people surviving predictions that they only had so many months or weeks to live - yet were still alive years later? No one can accurately predict an 'outcome' as there is always the 'unknown' factor. Predictions are based on accumulated experiences/knowledge but are not everyone's 'truth'.

Tom
The power of positive thinking...NOT! Wonder if anyone has the guts to conduct a similar test on the effectiveness of prayer vs. cancer?

Dr. Harry
The results of this study are interesting, but certainly not definitive. Keep in mind that the patients' state of mind was measured by a questionnaire. So, we are really studying the outcome of their diseases vs the result of this questionnaire.

I have been involved in scientific research and can assure everyone that one study like this really doesn't prove much. It does add to a body of work about state of mind vs health. Possibly in many, many years we may understand the relationship between our minds and our emotions and our bodies. We are definitely not there yet.

Mike D.
This was a very interesting study with unfortunately very depressing results. I always believed in the 'power of positive thoughts' so it's sad to read that it may not be important in affecting survival with potentially terminal diseases.

What is most sad, the research provides a harsh reality that when you read the occassional story of a individual overcoming some fatal disease with this great attitude, there's someone, if not 10 someones, that had the same positive attitude but you never read about them as they never had the opportunity to share their story.

Gail Henson
Why take away "the power of positive thinking!" How could a hopeful attitude hurt a person? If a person thinks or hopes they can overcome their illness, why should that hope be taken away from them by such a small study group. I believe a positive attitude helped me get through my illness, & no study will take that away from me!!!!!!!

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Like many of the comments above, I feel this article is quite "insensitive". There are many unproven benefits to having a positive outlook and I believed as well it would help cancer patients too.

I am sure it helps your family/friends/partner dealing with your cancer if your more positive about it.

Mike

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#4 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I read a lot of this stuff. Medical literature is littered with research that seems to prove this or that only to be contradicted a few years down the line by something else. There are far too many vested interests in the medical world to guarante trustworthy analysis over issues like this. Without a great deal more information, I won't be drawing any serious conclusions from it one way or the other.

Keep smilin'
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

Meanie
Legendary
Legendary

#5 Unread post by Meanie »

My take is simple, if anyone believes a positive outlook helps their situation, who in the hell has the right to say otherwise? What does it hurt to have a positive outlook? NOTHING and if anything, it provides an asset with at least, acceptance. Screw these negative naysayers. If they want to wallow in their pessimistic views and self pity, it's just a reflection of their own inferior complex. Tell them to take it elsewhere.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#6 Unread post by Nalian »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Like many of the comments above, I feel this article is quite "insensitive". There are many unproven benefits to having a positive outlook and I believed as well it would help cancer patients too.

I am sure it helps your family/friends/partner dealing with your cancer if your more positive about it.

Mike
Sure - but wasn't the goal of the study to actually find out what the proven effects are? Granted, like sv-wolf says there needs to be more information and studies done before you can link things - but should we as a human society look in all places at all things?

I'm not saying this article should be given to cancer patients or their families - and as stated both in the article and the first few comments, the target audience of this is doctors and other practitioners. I don't think the article was saying being positive or encouraging positivity is bad - it's that the positive outlook does not appear to have any actual correlation with the health of the patient.

To me, this makes sense. As strong as the will is, often the body does not care and is not compliant.

It always bums me out to see people upset at studies because they don't like the results. Yes, it sucks when the results aren't what you'd like - but isn't knowing the reality better than making guesses? And imagine the reactions if the results were flipped - people would be praising this study.

I have lost 2 close friends and many relatives to cancer. I have anohter friend dying of brain cancer right now - she's hoping to hold on til xmas for her young daughter. It's an awful, and as of yet incureable disease. I hope this changes. But I still want to know what things actually do affect this disease. I don't think we should impede studies or the information coming from them just because we don't like it. That only serves to set us back.

sv-wolf

#7 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Nalian wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:Like many of the comments above, I feel this article is quite "insensitive". There are many unproven benefits to having a positive outlook and I believed as well it would help cancer patients too.

Mike
Sure - but wasn't the goal of the study to actually find out what the proven effects are?
Possibly - possibly not. I am always suspicious of any research these days that appears to attack non-pharmacological approaches to medicine. There is a huge international lobby of rx companies (like the Codex Alimentarius at the UN) whch purports to be furthering medical understanding, but which is actually pushing hard in all sorts of areas to destroy anything that attacks their profits - ie anything that offers medical help which isn't a synthetic chemical. And it doesn't appear to care how it does it. Institutional structures allow all sorts of bad science to flourish in the interests of these companies.

And even if the research was uninfluenced by commercial interests (getting rarer these days) there is also the question of what parameters were used in the research. Many people with terminal illnesses are also looking for quality of life as well as length of life, for example. What you find in any kind of research will usually depend to some extent on what you set out to find - how you design your experiment. Often research like this is based on very narrow criteria and its valid conclusions get exaggerated.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#8 Unread post by Nalian »

sv-wolf wrote:
Nalian wrote: Sure - but wasn't the goal of the study to actually find out what the proven effects are?
Possibly - possibly not. I am always suspicious of any research these days that appears to attack non-pharmacological approaches to medicine. There is a huge international lobby of rx companies (like the Codex Alimentarius at the UN) whch purports to be furthering medical understanding, but which is actually pushing hard in all sorts of areas to destroy anything that attacks their profits - ie anything that offers medical help which isn't a synthetic chemical. And it doesn't appear to care how it does it. Institutional structures allow all sorts of bad science to flourish in the interests of these companies.

And even if the research was uninfluenced by commercial interests (getting rarer these days) there is also the question of what parameters were used in the research. Many people with terminal illnesses are also looking for quality of life as well as length of life, for example. What you find in any kind of research will usually depend to some extent on what you set out to find - how you design your experiment. Often research like this is based on very narrow criteria and its valid conclusions get exaggerated.
Well sure - as said, a lot more information needs to be garnered before you make a full decision. But a lot of the negative comments I read are more..hmm..gut reactions? from people not liking the news. I get not liking the message - but my point is that just because we don't like the results doesn't necessarily mean a study is invalid. And it did not say that being positive was bad. Just that there doesn't seem to be a link between being positive and beating cancer.

sv-wolf

#9 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Nalian wrote:
Well sure - as said, a lot more information needs to be garnered before you make a full decision. But a lot of the negative comments I read are more..hmm..gut reactions? from people not liking the news. I get not liking the message - but my point is that just because we don't like the results doesn't necessarily mean a study is invalid. And it did not say that being positive was bad. Just that there doesn't seem to be a link between being positive and beating cancer.
Hi Nalian

Got you. Yes, I agree.

I guess I take one thing away from this sort of reaction. As orthodox medicine becomes more technological, more invasive and depersonalising, people are becoming increasingly alienated from it. I'm not sure what the situation is in the States or Canada, but over here in the UK, there is a strong reaction against conventional medicine among a large portion of the population. That's good and bad.

As emergency medicine it is brilliant, but it comes at a huge cost. Conventional medicine is a factory for dealing with symptoms, and once in the system, the patient becomes the factory product. In an increasingly technological and economically isolated world, people have always sought for more social and 'co-operative' values. I think this is just one way of expressing it.
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

I kind of like the idea of partnering holistic, naturopathic and traditional medicine. If you have a long term ailment, try dealing with it naturally then if nothing works, head to the sawbones. But if you wake up at 3AM and you're lying in a pool of blood, I really don't think that naturopath is going to be much help... It only makes sense to use all the available resources to combat any illness and to not rely on one form of medicine...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"