Do you have a strange affinity for strobes and sirens?

Biker Medic
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Re: Do you have a strange affinity for strobes and sirens?

#41 Unread post by Biker Medic »

Texfire wrote:After reading this forum and checking old threads, I've noticed a seemingly disproportionate number of people in public safety. So who else in here are in Fire, EMS or Law Enforcement? And what's wrong with us? ;)

Tex
Oh...it's not just me then :D Geee, and I thought my avatar would be special...
21+ yrs Army Medic, been NR-EMT since 1987, Heavy Rescue, Cumberland Co (NC) Rescue Squad, Rescue Diver (PADI), miscellaneous other adrenalin producing past-times...

I've actually thought about putting strobes on my bike for the hell of it, it's not like I run from home anymore.
Lou

Knees in the Breeze & keep it safe

Patriot Guard Riders
www.patriotguard.org

2007 Yamaha V-Star Custom 650

Biker Medic
Regular
Regular

#42 Unread post by Biker Medic »

Loonette wrote:Wish my department had this program...
http://www.dbfd.us/motor_medic.htm

Cheers,
Loonette
They've been using stuff like that in London, UK (where I'm originally from) for a few years now. It can still take 30-40 minutes for a Paramedic response on a bike. Another 40-60 for a box to arrive if transport is required.

Only problem I see with mixing bikes and woo-woo lights is that there's enough adrenaline flowing from one or the other - mixing the two...scary thought. People already react skittishly when an ambulance comes running by code 3....imagine how unpredictable drivers would be if the heard sirens, but couldnt find the source.
Lou

Patriot Guard Riders
www.patriotguard.org

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#43 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Aye, but your fire cycles have more classic stylings where as out paramedic ones, are rather ... um....visible, I guess (I like the way the strobe is mounted way up in the air though)

Heres about the best shots of them I could find quickly
http://www.ambulancehireservices.co.uk/ ... T1300.html
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

Biker Medic
Regular
Regular

#44 Unread post by Biker Medic »

Nibblet99 wrote:Aye, but your fire cycles have more classic stylings where as out paramedic ones, are rather ... um....visible, I guess (I like the way the strobe is mounted way up in the air though)

Heres about the best shots of them I could find quickly
http://www.ambulancehireservices.co.uk/ ... T1300.html
You beat me to it....bugger it.
I was going to search London Ambulance Service for some pics...ah here we go...
Lou

Patriot Guard Riders
www.patriotguard.org

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#45 Unread post by Loonette »

OMG - those colors are so intense! I think the moto-medic is good for places as mentioned in the article - places like Bike Week in Florida. Just a way to get through the crowd and render some sort of care until the ambulance can make their way through the crowd. We actually have no use for something like a moto-medic in our area. We do have a bicycle team, however, that we'll use for various large-crowd events.

And I agree with the issue of adrenaline-pumped drivers out on the motorcycles. I almost fell off my front porch one night whilst responding to a call. The brain stays a bit fuzzy when first waking up to take a call. I always have to remind myself once behind the wheel of my car to take two deep breaths and make sure that I'm buckled in. Then I'm off to the station (thankfully I live only five blocks away).

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#46 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

I find that I seem to like EMS based TV and movies more now than I did before. Rescue Me is amazing, Emergency! is one of my favorite TV shows of all time now (though I've only seen season one), and if I see something on discovery channel that's related to EMS at all, I gotta watch it. Like when How It's Made covered ambulances and fire fighter helmets.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Loonette

#47 Unread post by Loonette »

Ninja Geoff wrote:I find that I seem to like EMS based TV and movies more now than I did before. Rescue Me is amazing, Emergency! is one of my favorite TV shows of all time now (though I've only seen season one), and if I see something on discovery channel that's related to EMS at all, I gotta watch it. Like when How It's Made covered ambulances and fire fighter helmets.
I had always enjoyed the show "Third Watch", but now I love it even more. I also rented old episodes of "Emergency" from Netflix a while back so that my kids could see what I watched as a youngster. Mmmmmm - Johnny Gage!

So... in a state of insanity, and at the urging of my chief, I've agreed to take Level II Firefighter training. I start in May and the class runs through the end of July. This will be great training for me - AFFF Baby!! And a lot more scenario based training - taking command is something with which I need to become more comfortable. Once that's done, and I've had a chance to catch my breath, I know my chief will be priming me for EMT-Intermediate class. But, hey - one thing at a time.

On a side note, my husband, "Scan" who was going to just do some apparatus driving while waiting for the FF Level I class to start in October, has decided to take EMT-B training, which starts in a couple of weeks. It now looks as though we're going to have quite an active involvement with this new world.

And, on yet another side note, on April 2 I'll be getting a new tattoo, which will be a commemoration of my work as a Firefighter/EMT. I'll share a pic when it's done - it's gonna look awesome!

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#48 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Jeeze, all the ladies like Gage! wtf. It's gotta be the turnout gear. I need to get some :mrgreen:

Soon, hopefully, I'll be taking the civil services exam and applying at the Greenfield FD and Baystate Health Ambulance. Moving SOON (ie next week I should be started to move my stuff) so I'm waiting until I'm settled into the new place before I try to change jobs.

And take the Intermediate course! Even if you don't get it, it'll make you a better Basic. And good on scan for taking the Basic course.

So, keeping a first aid kit in the car? I just got one about a month ago, though there's some stuff I've been meaning to add to it. Like rescue blankets, more crevats, non-latex gloves, aspirin, and some NON aspirin pain meds. Though I've been thinking of getting another, smaller bag for OTC meds. Keep one trauma bag, other med bag. The bag the kit's in now has Molle straps on it, easy as pie to attach things to it. http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?p ... &TabID=548 The kit.

Loonette

#49 Unread post by Loonette »

Ninja Geoff wrote:Jeeze, all the ladies like Gage! wtf. It's gotta be the turnout gear. I need to get some :mrgreen:

Soon, hopefully, I'll be taking the civil services exam and applying at the Greenfield FD and Baystate Health Ambulance. Moving SOON (ie next week I should be started to move my stuff) so I'm waiting until I'm settled into the new place before I try to change jobs.

And take the Intermediate course! Even if you don't get it, it'll make you a better Basic. And good on scan for taking the Basic course.

So, keeping a first aid kit in the car? I just got one about a month ago, though there's some stuff I've been meaning to add to it. Like rescue blankets, more crevats, non-latex gloves, aspirin, and some NON aspirin pain meds. Though I've been thinking of getting another, smaller bag for OTC meds. Keep one trauma bag, other med bag. The bag the kit's in now has Molle straps on it, easy as pie to attach things to it. http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?p ... &TabID=548 The kit.
Dang! That's a great kit. I was looking and looking, but couldn't afford a lot of the kits, and then some of them had too much stuff that was unnecessary. I was going to just buy a diaper bag and stock it myself, but now I think I'll go with something like the one you showed. (nice thing about the diaper bag is you can use the changing pad as a knee pad for CPR) I already have two CPR pocket masks and several non-latex gloves. Sweet!! So, yeah, a first aid kit for the car in on the short list. That bag would also travel well on the bike.

Glad to hear that you're moving soon - I know your roommate situation was driving you a bit insane. When the time comes, good luck on the exam. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#50 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

^ Pocket mask! I can't believe I forgot that one :frusty: Would hate to get someone's cooties, or worse, vomit in my mouth.