Do you have a strange affinity for strobes and sirens?

Texfire
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Do you have a strange affinity for strobes and sirens?

#1 Unread post by Texfire »

After reading this forum and checking old threads, I've noticed a seemingly disproportionate number of people in public safety. So who else in here are in Fire, EMS or Law Enforcement? And what's wrong with us? ;)

Tex

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by DustyJacket »

Ex (12 years)
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#3 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Soon to be MA EMT-B certified come august. Just have to take the written portion of the exam. I hope it's as easy as the practical.

What's wrong with us? Simple. It's the OB video. Watching a childbirth on a DLP projector is enough to desensitize someone to pictures of just about anything. Even an avulsed "man tool" (yes there's a picture of one in my EMT book).

I've also considered down the line thoughts of TEMS. A local EMT-P I know is a TEMS officer for the DEA i think he said. Fully trained and equiped swat team member (only uses a pistol, as far as he's concerned, the EMT has no reason to carry a long gun, and the pistol is for defense only), and team paramedic (and avid BMW motorcycle fan/rider). Also considering military if I can drop the weight.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#4 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Volunteer FF for 22 years, EMT for 18 years, Medic for 13 years, Motorcycle Rider for 2 years. I'm pefectly fine and nothing is wrong with me.... the voices in my head said so.... :twisted:

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

personally, I was seduced by the allure of driving around in the all powerful, all potent 1978 Ford Fairmont with its awesome slant six engine....oooo, the power........that and being able to put a white shower cap on top my peak cap. :laughing:
Always ask why.

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Texfire »

Probably a good thing that the rear of my bike is too narrow to paste a "My other ride is a Firetruck" sticker on it. I didn't pick out a fire engine red bike on purpose, honestly it just happened to be that color, but I'm finding myself entertained by thoughts of adding Maltese Crosses somewhere on it. Impending Jippy Joehood, here I come... ;) It must be an early sign of senility. :)

Oh, been in fire service for almost a decade. Career for seven years of that. I was a late bloomer, joined the fire service at the ripe age of 26 after a life misspent in other pursuits. Just finished an EMT-I class but given how much trouble the clearance process for that is going to be, I think I'm stopping there.

I've worked with medics like you Scoutmedic, at least they mumbled to themselves. Mostly about "overtime" and "catching up on reports".

Tex

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#7 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Texfire wrote:I've worked with medics like you Scoutmedic, at least they mumbled to themselves. Mostly about "overtime" and "catching up on reports".

Tex
Probably from all those pesky basics calling for stuff that doesn't need a medic. "Hey paramedics, dude's arm hurts, i think he's having a heart attack" "... what arm" "right arm, does it matter?" *twitch*

I promise not to be "that" basic in the ambulance company. :laughing:
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Texfire »

We automatically get an ALS transport unit in my system unless it's triaged as a lift assist, in which case only a first response unit is dispatched. This is more than fine by me. We have help coming if we need it, and I have no compunctions about canceling the box if it's a refusal situation.

You know the newbie EMT prayer, "please let it be trauma". I've grown more comfortable with medical calls over the years but I am thankful that a red patch with more experience and toys than I have is coming, especially on problematic patients where their presentation doesn't match their vitals or they need intervention that I can't provide on a basic level.

Tex

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#9 Unread post by JC Viper »

I'm currently in a criminal justice school taking up Forensic Science. I'll most likely end up doing something in law enforcement.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#10 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Ninja Geoff and Texfire,

:laugh5:

I don't mind getting called for stupid things. Well, not much anyway. I mumble about it a lot especially if it's 3am on a 24hr shift. I'm of the firm belief that it's better to have too much help on the way than not enough.

Geoff, when in doubt call 'em out. You won't get in trouble having the medic come but, you will if you transport a patient and you should have had them.

We do a lot of Medic Assist calls out of my station. Meaning, the local volunteers have a BLS ambulance and call us for paramedics. So, we do get quite a few of the "Right arm pain calls". The only time I get seriously annoyed is when the BLS crews won't start the transport without me or wait for several minutes in a parking lot for me to arrive "because it's safer than parking along the road". Don't waste precious time. Get them loaded and started down the road towards me and the hospital. I'll meet up with ya.

Speaking of, we were busy on my 24 yesterday. Did 11 emergencies and 6 non-emergencies with 2 crews including 3 car wrecks and a motorcycle wreck. Wasted all day today catching up on my sleep.

Stay Safe Out There!