flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

owners manuals that are obsolete - lazy mfg's

#1 Unread post by flw »

My new bike with a new/correct owners manual is full of errors every time I try something.

Such as today, with my head lamp assy. I tried to adjust it up just a bit. Per the manual there are two adjustment screws. One at the 6 o'clock position and another at the 9 o'clock position. Well after seeing only two others at eh 4 and 8 o'clock position and disassemble the headlamp to be sure. There are no adjustment screws in the positions per the manual.

Although simple enough to fix, what about more serious mechanical procedures? If I can't depend on something as simple as a headlamp adjustment, I might as well just not bother reading it. As I have to figure it out on my own anyway. :evil:

I'm just pissed because I paid a lot of money for a little booklet that is filled with incorrect information. They make a minor changes that are never put in the manual, over and over again. 6 or more years later, its almost useless.

/rantover
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by slimcolo »

Owners manuals are basically useless. Get yourself a good shop or repair manual. (OEM,Clymers or Haynes) Try dealer, Whitehorse Press or amazon.com, even e bay but Amazon seems better with books.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by IcyHound »

Mine shows how to change your oil. Only all of the pieces are on the opposite side of the bike in different positions from what the booklet says.
------------------------
Kawasaki Fangirl
I ride Mantis - Yamaha FZ6