Are people allowed to park permanently at retail stores?

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: FZ6

Are people allowed to park permanently at retail stores?

#1 Unread post by intotherain »

I live in front of a big chain grocery store called Albertsons. I pass by it everyday and I always see this BMW 325 sitting there. It's gone in the day but it's there all night. It's been there for the past 3 months. BUT *sometimes* I also see the same car parked in one of the spaces in my apartment...

I think this guy is trying to avoid the $100/month parking fee and parking at the grocery store parking lot right next door. The guy I believe has two cars, one truck and one sedan and I guess sometimes someone is using his truck so he parks his BMW in his real spot.

now... I'm pretty sure this is illegal but what kind of trouble can you get into for doing this? The car's hard to spot if you don't go there everyday. The parking lot is huge and is usually always packed with cars except the nighttime. So.. what kind of fines and such are we talking about here? this is just out of curiosity.

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by DustyJacket »

In many places in the USA, as long as it moves every 72 hours, you can park in any legal parking place.
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by jonnythan »

It's legal only if he has the permission of the person who owns/manages the property.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by intotherain »

OH.. maybe he is renting that spot! Hmm I didn't think of that option. must be less than the rates of my apt.

btw. the real reason i'm asking this is because i'm going buy a car and i wanted to do something similar

Loonette
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#5 Unread post by Loonette »

It's up to the property owner (or business owner) to call the tow truck. Either he has some deal with the manager of Albertson's or he's just been going unnoticed. So you're smart to be asking - don't park there unless you somehow make certain it's OK. Heck, I'd even get it in writing. What if Mr. Regional Manager drives by one night, notices the vehicles parked there and has them towed away. Some verbal agreement with the store manager won't help you then. CYA!!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Shorts »

intotherain wrote:OH.. maybe he is renting that spot! Hmm I didn't think of that option. must be less than the rates of my apt.

btw. the real reason i'm asking this is because i'm going buy a car and i wanted to do something similar
Uh, if the guy is avoiding the $100/mth parking at his apt lot, I doubt he's paying for another elsewhere, even if cheaper. $100 a month is cheap - try $1k here.

What's the benefit for $50 a month for an Albertson's? And who's pocket does it go to??? How is that written up on the books? If the lot has a contract with a tow company, I doubt less than $100 for a bike is better than the towing co relationship.

intotherain
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by intotherain »

lol don't ask me.

I already have a spot for my new bike, in front of my minivan.

I'm getting a car too and I was jw. I will probably end up paying for a spot and parking it by my door, i was just curious about that other guy.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Shorts »

intotherain wrote:lol don't ask me.

I already have a spot for my new bike, in front of my minivan.

I'm getting a car too and I was jw. I will probably end up paying for a spot and parking it by my door, i was just curious about that other guy.
hehe you're right, not asking you specifically. Just throwing out some rhetorical questions to ponder on :D

BMK
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by BMK »

I doubt the guy has any real permission to park there. Even if the manager wanted to OK it, Albertson's lawyers and / or insurance company would quickly kill the deal.
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Bored
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by Bored »

In NJ We can NOT hand out tickets for parking in a supermarket or similar parking lot UNLESS the owner of the property contacts us in writing stating the hours the business is in operation and that they want cars ticketed. The only downside to doing this is that if for some reason the owners or employee's decide to park their, they will be ticketed. (that of course is if they are parked after hours) There is no parking permits or exceptions that I am aware of. Most places don't complain about things like this unless you are working on cars or selling them etc. It would be unadvisable to take up spaces near the front or so called "princess spots" I would think that if you are far from the store, for one thing you are not taking up space from paying customers and for two if you are near the store after hours you will cause the local police to think that their may be a burgalary in progress. Soooo what I am saying is if their is nothing posted saying "NO PARKING or NO TRESSPASSING" You are probably safe parking their. But do it at your own risk.

And $100.00 is a lot! But considering most parking ticket in NJ average about $75.00 to $130.00 each offense, It may be a small price to pay especially since your car is close by! As for $100.00 a month!!!! Dammmm, My cage only cost me about that much! :laughing:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car!