Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Safety Announcements...

#1 Unread post by dr_bar »

SK - Motorcycle safety week

In an effort to further promote motorcycle safety throughout the province, Minister responsible for SGI Glenn Hagel has proclaimed the week of May 13 to 19, 2007 as Motorcycle Safety Week in Saskatchewan. The week is designed to encourage safe riding and to raise awareness of the importance of having the proper motorcycle training. “In a collision, motorcycle riders are at a much higher risk for being severely injured or killed,” Hagel said. “SGI encourages all motorcycle enthusiasts to take a safety course to learn how to avoid many of these collisions and ensure they have the necessary knowledge, skills and training to ride safely.” Motorcycle Safety Week is a safety initiative sponsored by the Saskatchewan Safety Council.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BC - ICBC

-reminds motorcyclists and drivers – use extra caution this summer
May marks the start of motorcycle season around the province. That means more motorcycles will be on the road, and the need for motorists - and motorcycle riders - to take extra caution when driving. Most motorcycle-involved crashes occur from May to September. There were approximately 1,200 injuries and 43 fatalities in motorcycle-related crashes in 2005. "Drive safely and use extra caution - that's important for all road users, including motorists and riders, as we head into the busy summer months on B.C. roads", points out Solicitor General John Les. "Severe crashes often occur at intersections. We're asking motorists to be extra careful when making turns and motorcyclists to slow down and be more visible," said Les.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NS - May is Motorcycle Awareness Month in Nova Scotia

To help make Nova Scotia's highways safer, the province and the Nova Scotia Safety Council are proclaiming the month of May Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. Transportation and Public Works Minister Angus MacIsaac read the proclamation to a cross section of motorcycle users at a ceremony at Province House today, April 26. "Thousands of Nova Scotians are taking to the highways on motorcycles now that the weather is warming up," said Mr. MacIsaac. "Our goal is to remind all road users that a moment's inattention can have dire results. Please take extra caution on the highways this season."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CA - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

New American regulations require tire pressure monitoring systems on new vehicles. "Because most of the vehicles sold in Canada share technology and features with those sold south of the border, Canadians are now seeing these tire pressure monitoring systems on vehicles here," reports Jim Kerr in Canadian Driver.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#2 Unread post by JC Viper »

Whatever happened to just actually paying attention to the road or driving?

Seems to me like all these "take extra caution" notices mean that people operating vehicles are not operating them properly in the first place. The first thing I learned in driving school (car license) is to watch the road and my mirrors... yet governments want motorcyclists to do all the work as if we are in the way.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

Actually, they are asking all motorists to take more care and to have more caution whilst driving. Also to be aware of the two wheeled vehicles on the road.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#4 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

JC Viper wrote:Whatever happened to just actually paying attention to the road or driving?

Seems to me like all these "take extra caution" notices mean that people operating vehicles are not operating them properly in the first place. The first thing I learned in driving school (car license) is to watch the road and my mirrors... yet governments want motorcyclists to do all the work as if we are in the way.
I see your point to an extent, but I'd rather be reminded to take more care and be alive, than be "in the right" but dead
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#5 Unread post by JC Viper »

"the need to take extra caution while driving" pretty much makes me feel that paying attention to the road is not high on anyone's to do list. I know that we have to still be able to swerve and do other emergency maneuvers just in case but asking motorists to take extra caution with bikes around just might pee them off getting them to think we get extra attention.

I guess I got a bit excited when reading that after a biker died after trying to swerve away from a stupid pedestrian that was jay walking on a busy highway.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#6 Unread post by JC Viper »

"the need to take extra caution while driving"... that shouldn't be necessary if you are actually driving/ riding properly since everyone has to scan the road for potential road hazards anyway (according to my driver's ed book). I wasn't implying to be righteous instead of cautious... especially after reading my magazine with an article on all the biker crashes at Deals Gap. Many of the photos were pretty funny thanks to the witty captions.

I guess I was venting after reading that a biker died after trying to swerve away from a stupid pedestrian that was jay walking on a busy highway. NY is full of acehats...