First habitable 'Earth-like' planet found -More riding room?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

First habitable 'Earth-like' planet found -More riding room?

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is great news! Just think of the new wide open space to ride!
:mrgreen:
Mike

First habitable 'Earth-like' planet found
Temperature between 0 and 40c, scientists say
Margaret Munro, CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Astronomers have spotted "the first habitable Earth-like planet" outside the solar system, a find so enticing that Canada's space telescope is being redirected to take a closer look.

The "super-Earth" appears to be 50% larger than Earth and orbiting around a star in a "habitable zone" where temperatures are so balmy that water -- the elixir of life-- would be liquid.

"We have estimated that the mean temperature of this super- Earth lies between 0C and 40C, and water would thus be liquid," said Stephane Udry, of the Geneva Observatory, who leads the European team that reported the discovery yesterday in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

The planet, believed to be either rocky like Earth or covered with oceans, is seen as a promising target in the search for extraterrestrial life.

"On the treasure map of the universe, one would be tempted to mark this planet with an X," said team member Xavier Delfosse of Grenoble University.

Since the discovery in 1995 of the first "exoplanet" orbiting a star other than the sun, more than 200 planets have been found. Most are gas giants on extreme orbits around stars that make them either scorching hot or far too cold to maintain life as we know it.

The Europeans say the new planet is the smallest exoplanet and "most Earth-like" so far. They have deduced that it orbits its star in 13 days and is 14 times closer to its star than the Earth is to the sun.

The scientists found the planet using a super-sensitive planet-hunting machine fitted onto a European telescope in Chile. It detects the tiny changes -- or wobbles -- produced as planets orbit around stars. The planet's host star, a red dwarf called Gliese 581, is much smaller and colder than the sun, which means the planet can be close to its star but still be in the so-called "habitable zone," the region around a star where water would be liquid.

Canadian astronomer Jaymie Matthews of the University of British Columbia cautioned there is no evidence so far showing the planet actually harbours water, let alone "extras from Star Trek." All scientists can say for certain is the planet appears to exist, and could have a solid surface and habitable temperatures.

But the European evidence is so exciting, Mr. Matthews said, that he and his colleagues have agreed to focus Canada's suitcase-sized space telescope, known as MOST, on the alien solar system.

"We're putting it on a stakeout," said Mr. Matthews, who leads the MOST team and is currently in Vienna. (MOST stands for microvariabilty and oscillations of stars.)

He expects to have the planetary system in the microsatellite telescope's sights by late next week. "We've been working on this for a few weeks," he said in a phone interview.

Mr. Matthews said it will be possible to look for the "super-

Earth" without too big an impact on other MOST projects.

"We'll be squeezing it into to our regularly scheduled programming. That's the beauty of having something like MOST. It's almost like having your own private space telescope in the sense that it's possible for us to take advantage of these targets of opportunity and adapt very, very quickly."

With luck, Mr. Matthews said MOST, which has a much clearer view from its orbit above Earth, will be able to actually see the planet orbiting across the face of the star and confirm its existence.

The odds that MOST will be in the right vantage point to observe such a "transit" is about one in 20.

"It's a long shot," he said, but well worth taking because the results could be huge.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#2 Unread post by t_bonee »

Yeah, I seen that. Pretty awesome. Though they say computer models says it could be a rocky world or a complete water world. Might have to bring the jetskis. :D
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#3 Unread post by JC Viper »

t_bonee wrote:Yeah, I seen that. Pretty awesome. Though they say computer models says it could be a rocky world or a complete water world. Might have to bring the jetskis. :D
Ugh, if it's all water I just hope Kevin Costner doesn't make his way there.

And the temps supposedly range from 0 to 40 degrees C. Quite tropical but also pretty low since it is close to the star it's orbiting. If I recall the year lasts about 13 days?
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by jonnythan »

First Class M planet, baby!

Woo!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Just takes 20 years to make it there...

... at light speed
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#6 Unread post by jonnythan »

storysunfolding wrote:Just takes 20 years to make it there...

... at light speed
That's only 58 days at Warp 5.

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#7 Unread post by Nalian »

I thought it was pretty interesting that they say they don't believe it rotates (1/2 the planet always light or dark). Pretty weird!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jonnythan wrote:

... at light speed
You just need a transporter....be there in no time..... :laughing:

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary

#9 Unread post by shalihe74 »

jonnythan wrote:

... at light speed
:blink: Wow. Just... Wow.

:laughing:
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

blues2cruise wrote:
jonnythan wrote:

... at light speed
You just need a transporter....be there in no time..... :laughing:
:lol:

Silly girl.

Transporters operate at light speed and don't have that kinda range!