Diesel owners - ULSD raising problems?

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Diesel owners - ULSD raising problems?

#1 Unread post by Shorts »

During my visit back home Dad said his '99 Cummins was acting strange with this new Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel that he fills up with. I've been reading the CTD forums and whatnot and there's gobs of info. But I also wanted to see if you folks here have had any issues running this new fuel in your trucks. I think he still sneaks diesel from the fuel tanks at the shop to get his diesel fix.

Dad says he's dropped a mpg or two and the truck idles rougher and doesn't run as smooth on the road. I believe it, I road with him several times and the truck just isn't was she use to be.

I hear additives are the way to go to at least get the engine smoothed out as well as trying to keep the injection pump from dying a horribly expensive death.

Any thoughts from you diesel drivers out there?

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

ULSD is spawned from the Devil. Well actually from the granola-eating, sprout-junkies in California. The simple fact they have crammed 400x the number of people that can be supported into their state and now the air is semi-solid seems to give them the right to make Federal laws. I could live with that, but our spineless politicians follow their lead like lost puppies and so we have the same junk fuel you get stuck with.

Right now, the only option I know of is additives. Some guys seem to have decent results just adding a little ATF to the tank, some guys need more expensive sulfer substitutes.

My thinking is that your government will not be happy until ever oil-burner made before '07 destroys itself running on that crud that passes for diesel and everyone is forced to buy a brand new $60 000 truck every 2 years without being able to sell the old one. OR burn 2x the amount of gasoline in trucks that should be diesel powered but are forced to run a gas job instead.

That's what they call thinking Green, I guess....?

I feel for your Dad. And most people I know here....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

TR7
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 79 xs600

#3 Unread post by TR7 »

ATF is a bad idea, it has friction additives for the clutches and whatnot in the transmission and therefore does the exact oposite of what your trying to do and wears out the pump/injectors even faster. A better idea would be to add actual 2 cycle oil (if you dont want to use an additive). At one time I had calculated how much you would need to restore the lubrication back to LSD spects, it was something like .3qt/20 gal of fuel. Plus, because 2 cycle oil is made to burn in the engine, it doesnt gum things up like using motor oil might, however I havent heard any problems with using motor oil either.

BuzZz

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

There ya go. Skip the ATF.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Shorts »

I've heard guys using the ATF, but that's just all wrong to me lol The 2cy oil seems a bit more tolerable since it was made to burn. Some folks are even using B20, veg oil and of course, the aftermarket additives.

People in our country are idiots. And for some reason, the people screaming the loudest are idiots. And of course, the only voices heard are, well, the idiots. That's really getting old.

I believe the '07/'08 diesel will be much better at burning this ULSD crap. That's why Dodge is going to that 6.7 from that 5.9. But of course, that screws everyone who's currently driving previous generation trucks. BuzZz nailed it - they concocted junk that would kill our evil dirty machines.

If its going to be that way, I say everyone pull George Jones and start driving their John Deere's! .....Should I go with the 30' or the 36' header on my 9860?

BuzZz

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

Hey TR7, since you seem up on your chemicals...

I picked up one of the thoughts that sometimes ooze out, and it was...

What's the lubricity of kerosene? Would cutting some of that into your fuel gain you anything lost to ULSD? I'm sure it wouldn't help with the mileage, but is it oilier?

Logitech105
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Logitech105 »

2 stroke oil sounds good, but it smokes a lot. The Emissions division would be all over you! :wink:

ahh heck, just throw in some uranium-235 and call it a day.

:mrgreen:
[img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r201/AeroMyst/fn3.gif[/img]

TR7
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by TR7 »

kerosene is actually a component in the "winter mix" they have here, you lose lubricity, but gain a lower gel point. Also, because it isnt really for engines, it doesnt have any of the lubrication additives that they put in the ULSD, unless you get it from the pump. Diesel engines are stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment as far as fuel. The new motors arent going to be all that much better, you wont get any of the fuel economy or power back, it will only run smother.

I cant find the website but there was a test of each and it was basically veg. oil > bio diesel > LSD > ULSD > kerosene. With the best lubricating properties being veg. oil. There may have been other things but I dont remember. There was a large gap between bio and LSD, so if you cut any of that into your fuel you dont need as much if you mix it with kerosene.

If you want to go green, listening to the gotv't is not the way to go, support the local bio pumps.

TR7
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by TR7 »

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by MotoF150 »

global warming is real and its happening right now, diesels are resonsible for pouring out much more C02 than gasoline engines, putting up with a small inconvience with a less polluting mix of diesel fuel is a small price to pay other then the polar ice caps melting and flooding the world!
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750