Nicotine patches, and my god the dreams.

Sicko
Elite
Elite

#21 Unread post by Sicko »

Darth Snootchie wrote:
blues2cruise wrote: Two years. Awesome. Why would you want to wreck that? Aren't you over the cravings yet?
I don't think you ever do get over the cravings... it just gets easier to ignore them as time goes on. It's been two years for me, and sometimes I get an urge to have one, even now.
You are correct, sir. With time, your brain will disconnect the subtle cravings from the cigs. You'll still feel a dull pain but the urge to smoke will be gone.

I tried earnestly for at least 6 years to quit. I went thru several tons of nicorette gum and thousands of patches. I only succeeded when I came to realize that cold turkey was the way I was gonna be successful. I hurt like hell for about a year and then it started tappering off. At 2 years, I was totally over them. Even tho I still have a dull nicotine craving and still subconsciously inhale in the presence of cigarette smoke, the urge is totally under control and I'll never smoke another because I know there's no such thing as just one. I fought a long hard battle to defeat them and I'm not going back.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#22 Unread post by blues2cruise »

-Holiday wrote:
I'd kinda like one now though... Just hate how it smells on my hands and clothes.
:)
You think you don't like the way it smells on you......you oughta try it from this side of the smoke...... :stickpoke: :puke:

I'm a never have smoked.....

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male

#23 Unread post by -Holiday »

blues2cruise wrote:
-Holiday wrote:
I'd kinda like one now though... Just hate how it smells on my hands and clothes.
:)
You think you don't like the way it smells on you......you oughta try it from this side of the smoke...... :stickpoke: :puke:

I'm a never have smoked.....
tried that many times. cant stand it. especially if im eating.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#24 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Darth Snootchie wrote:
blues2cruise wrote: Two years. Awesome. Why would you want to wreck that? Aren't you over the cravings yet?
I don't think you ever do get over the cravings... it just gets easier to ignore them as time goes on. It's been two years for me, and sometimes I get an urge to have one, even now.
That pretty much sums it up.
I can go weeks without even thinking about them, then all of a sudden I feel like I really neeeeeeeeeeed one. But I usually just get up and take a quick walk and that seems to work best.

As far as the smell goes, I can't stand the way smokers smell. It makes me sick. But if someone lights up a camel around me my heart rate increases and I start to get edgy. I love the smell of a camel, but not a marlboro or any other brand. They all smell like crap.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#25 Unread post by ofblong »

roscowgo wrote:Mine say, May cause unusually vivid dreams, remove at bedtime if wanted.

jeeeze what an understatement. And it doesnt work either. They leave enough nicotine on your skin that you have the effect of the patches for a few hours after you take em off.

regular dreams>patch dreams as ww1 bi-plane is to f22 raptor.

Speaking of which another nightmare last night. /shudder Have you ever had a 22 foot iguana chase you while speaking in a british accent? jebus.
I work for the company that makes the generic brand of nicorete. I think its called nicotene (I just grab the box for friends cause I have never smoked and I get them free =]) and aparently 15% of the population find that the patch wont work.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#26 Unread post by MrGompers »

I'm still battling with the smokes. Last year I quit for 4 weeks using the gum, but then I was addicted to the gum.

Tried cold turkey and couldn't sleep for 4 days. Sooner or later I'll get it right.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#27 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Funny, we haven't heard from Rosco yet. :wink:

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#28 Unread post by roscowgo »

And an update from rosco. I have patch issues. Seems i am allergic to the adhesive. 24 hours=large red raised welt. not so lovely. But when i have it on my cravings were under control. SO i broke out the razor and commenced to shave little squares all over my body for a couple of weeks. fun fun fun.

dreams were.....eh kinda cool really.

took the patch off the last time..... no lessening of my cravings at all that i could tell. Guess ill try the gum next :D

Then if that dont work i'll see if i can get the doc to prescribe a "mothers lil helper"