Computer questions and solutions....thereof...

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#501 Unread post by jonnythan »

blues2cruise wrote:I uninstalled Norton. However...there are still a few files that won't allow me to delete. The Symantec updater icon on the control page won't delete either.

I have now downloaded ACG trial version of their newest....It's a 30 day trial to see if I like it.
If you go AVG, I strongly recommend their free product over their pay product. The free product is less intrusive and, frankly, better.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#502 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jonnythan wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:I uninstalled Norton. However...there are still a few files that won't allow me to delete. The Symantec updater icon on the control page won't delete either.

I have now downloaded ACG trial version of their newest....It's a 30 day trial to see if I like it.
If you go AVG, I strongly recommend their free product over their pay product. The free product is less intrusive and, frankly, better.
Thank you for the info. I'll try this for a few days to see what it is like. So far there are too many popups with warnings.....ggrrrrr. I'll have to disable that feature.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#503 Unread post by ofblong »

download ccleaner. have it check the registry. AFter it checks SAVE A BACKUP (it asks you if you want to) then delete all "instances". You can also go into the tools portion and find anything about norton and it will uninstall it.

http://www.piriform.com/
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

tymanthius
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 07 BMW F650GS

#504 Unread post by tymanthius »

Norton also sometimes has multiple bits in Add/Remove Programs (inside control panel). Make sure you've run all the uninstalls for the AV, the LiveUpdate, and whatever else Norton/Symantec have in there.
'07 BMW F650GS :) His name is Mith.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#505 Unread post by ofblong »

tymanthius wrote:Norton also sometimes has multiple bits in Add/Remove Programs (inside control panel). Make sure you've run all the uninstalls for the AV, the LiveUpdate, and whatever else Norton/Symantec have in there.
it also doesnt show you all the possible add/removes you can do. Thats why I use ccleaner.

tymanthius
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 07 BMW F650GS

#506 Unread post by tymanthius »

That's why I like Linux so much better. Unfortunately, I have a bad mbrd in this pc & so Ubuntu refused to install.

But windows doesn't care, except for the odd error now & again. I need more $$$ to support my toys!!!

:)
'07 BMW F650GS :) His name is Mith.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#507 Unread post by jonnythan »

tymanthius wrote:That's why I like Linux so much better. Unfortunately, I have a bad mbrd in this pc & so Ubuntu refused to install.

But windows doesn't care, except for the odd error now & again. I need more $$$ to support my toys!!!

:)
Any Linux program could make itself just as obscenely difficult to uninstall as Norton does on Windows.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#508 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Well....the full blown version of AVG was hopeless. I uninstalled it less than a week into the trial period.
It made my computer almost non functional for how slow it was. The computer was freezing up and getting hung up...websites would not ope..etc. etc.

I uninstalled it and am now using the free version. I will see how it goes for a few days. So far it is far better than the pay for version.

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#509 Unread post by ofblong »

blues2cruise wrote:Well....the full blown version of AVG was hopeless. I uninstalled it less than a week into the trial period.
It made my computer almost non functional for how slow it was. The computer was freezing up and getting hung up...websites would not ope..etc. etc.

I uninstalled it and am now using the free version. I will see how it goes for a few days. So far it is far better than the pay for version.
Thats why we said the free version :D.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#510 Unread post by dr_bar »

I'm using Computer Associates Anti Virus, seems to be working great at least it's not nortons invasive crap...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"