After College

asiantay
Legendary
Legendary

After College

#1 Unread post by asiantay »

Well, after realizing that I hate chemistry and that a C+ in chemistry is good for nothing, I've been thinking about my prospects after college. I wanted to join the Army prior to college, but stuff just happened. Anyways, I've wanted to join for quite a long time, and I've entertained the idea of going to Airborne School and possibly even Ranger school. I plan to join after college, so does anyone have any comments/suggestions?

Surgery went well, by the way. I'll post pics of the hardware later.

P.S., I don't think I would mind being activated for duty. And with the upcoming quarter, not that I advocate underage drinking... I really need some.
Lenny: Hey George I want a dog.
George: Shut up Lenny, you're too stupid for a dog.
Lenny: At least I'm not an @ssoff.

- Of As and Off

kali
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Re: After College

#2 Unread post by kali »

asiantay wrote:Well, after realizing that I hate chemistry and that a C+ in chemistry is good for nothing, I've been thinking about my prospects after college. I wanted to join the Army prior to college, but stuff just happened. Anyways, I've wanted to join for quite a long time, and I've entertained the idea of going to Airborne School and possibly even Ranger school. I plan to join after college, so does anyone have any comments/suggestions?

Surgery went well, by the way. I'll post pics of the hardware later.

P.S., I don't think I would mind being activated for duty. And with the upcoming quarter, not that I advocate underage drinking... I really need some.
That would be a noble choice if our wars were just. Since they are not I suggest a career that doesn't involve killing innocent civilians, children, and people you have no beef with or know nothing about. If your heart desires to express the strong protector archetype, how about police or fire work. Killing for the state is still killing and more often than not just murder. Most military people are miserable and just trying to survive. To many are lashing out at innocents out of frustration. Check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoRpfRhXDFc
Platitudes kill!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

About the protectorate mentality, Police, maybe... Firemen are just on a power trip. Before you get all pissed off at me, keep in mind that my dad is a fireman, and my uncle retired as a captain on the department. The way my dad usually introduces himself is "Hi, I'm ___, I'm a fireman; how are you doing?" Or something along those lines. In case you're wondering, that's the way most of the firefighters around here introduce themselves. Most of the cops I've met around here are about the same way. Sorry if I sound a bit bitter, I've met a few too many, and I know how they operate around here at least... And a soldier isn't a bad idea, I was thinking it myself, but they don't like me (ADD). Good luck either way though!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

kali
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by kali »

Wrider wrote:About the protectorate mentality, Police, maybe... Firemen are just on a power trip. Before you get all pissed off at me, keep in mind that my dad is a fireman, and my uncle retired as a captain on the department. The way my dad usually introduces himself is "Hi, I'm ___, I'm a fireman; how are you doing?" Or something along those lines. In case you're wondering, that's the way most of the firefighters around here introduce themselves. Most of the cops I've met around here are about the same way. Sorry if I sound a bit bitter, I've met a few too many, and I know how they operate around here at least... And a soldier isn't a bad idea, I was thinking it myself, but they don't like me (ADD). Good luck either way though!
Wrider
Agrre with you on cops and firemen. I've known firemen all my life. Turned down an opportunity to get on one years ago when the retiring chief who is close to our family offered.

Firemen play the publics adoration and hero status for their own political gain as selfishly and better than most. I didn't have a problem with that in the past as before 9/11 firefighter politics was always local. Now fire politics has national and war supporting implications and are played as such.

At least cop or firemen keeps him home and safer. Soldiers are just the states hired killers.
Platitudes kill!

TR7
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 79 xs600

#5 Unread post by TR7 »

I am also thinking of joining the military after college, only I want to see if I would be able to use my degree in some way if I join. Is this the same route your taking? Probably not as you mention Airborne School and Ranger School. Sorry I cant help you much because for me graduation is still a way off so I havent looked into it yet. But maybe it helps to know that your not the only person going this route.

p.s. Your also not the only one with a C+ in chem

KingRobb
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2004 HD Road King

#6 Unread post by KingRobb »

TR7 wrote:I am also thinking of joining the military after college, only I want to see if I would be able to use my degree in some way if I join. Is this the same route your taking? Probably not as you mention Airborne School and Ranger School. Sorry I cant help you much because for me graduation is still a way off so I havent looked into it yet. But maybe it helps to know that your not the only person going this route.

If you are considering military after college...consider ROTC. You may find th earmy more than willing to fund your education, in return for a couple years gauraunteed service.
Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, ol' timer. Let me know you're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it.

-Cool Hand Luke

kali
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by kali »

KingRobb wrote:
TR7 wrote:I am also thinking of joining the military after college, only I want to see if I would be able to use my degree in some way if I join. Is this the same route your taking? Probably not as you mention Airborne School and Ranger School. Sorry I cant help you much because for me graduation is still a way off so I haven't looked into it yet. But maybe it helps to know that your not the only person going this route.

If you are considering military after college...consider ROTC. You may find th army more than willing to fund your education, in return for a couple years guaranteed service.
KR is right about the degree. If you got it, use it. Grunts are nothing but meat to the military.

But, that degree also opens doors other than the military. I won't change yours or anyone else's minds here, just ask you to consider why (as in inside yourself, not the commercials and posters) the military. What else interest you?
Platitudes kill!

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by roscowgo »

I come from a military family.

85% of my non-family friends are in the military.

They ALL, without exception "dog" about it. Have horror stories. Will tell you how awful and stupid it was.

And wouldn't take a day of it back if you held their genitals under thermite.

Make the decision yourself. Anything we say to you about it is a bunch of static. Personal politics will sway any information you get about it.

Good luck :)

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#9 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Uh, why is a C+ in chem no good? It counts towards your degree and thats what you need, a degree (unless you are going to get a higher degree and you need a better gpa).

Once you get a job in the field and start learning some practical experience, no one is going to care what grade you got in chemistry.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Serving your country is a noble thing to do. Whether it's military, police, fire, or missionary.

You have to follow your heart.