Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Any EMT/paramedics's?

#1 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

Well? Anyone? I was considering it as i'm not going to be able to get myself to a moto repair school anytime soon. The EMT I class is only $500 or so (which i'd have to do a payment plan on, heh) plus cost of the test (i think it might cost money anyway). I understand that it takes at least 6 months of EMT intermediate to become a paramedic, which is something i'm interested in. I mean, sure, the pay isn't that great from the research i've done (~$12/hr) but it seems like the average work week can be upwards of 50 hours.

Anyone who's done it think it was worth it? I want to help people, but at the same time i'm terrified of watching someone die in front of me.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#2 Unread post by Loonette »

Well, I'm not an EMT yet. But I was just accepted for the EMT training program with my local volunteer fire and rescue department. I've taken the drug screening and the physical. Next will be my orientation and then the classroom training starts in February.

It's a bit different though from a paid position. I will receive free training and they will pay for the certification testing, and then I will need to commit to one year of volunteer service to pay back my debt. I plan to stay with the department longer, but a year is easy beans. The nice thing is that it's a national certification, so if need be, I can take that anywhere and get a paying job.

So I'm still too new at all of this to give you any practical advice. I'm also a bit uneasy about the more gruesome parts of the job that I may have to face. Plus, we're a small, close-knit community, and a lot of EMTs here have had to run across their own friends who have been damaged. It's part of the job though. Either you can handle it or you can't, and you won't really know that until you're involved.

Good luck in your decision - keep us posted.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Princess
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Princess »

Loonette wrote:Well, I'm not an EMT yet. But I was just accepted for the EMT training program with my local volunteer fire and rescue department.

It's a bit different though from a paid position. I will receive free training and they will pay for the certification testing, and then I will need to commit to one year of volunteer service to pay back my debt. I plan to stay with the department longer, but a year is easy beans. The nice thing is that it's a national certification, so if need be, I can take that anywhere and get a paying job.

Good luck in your decision - keep us posted.

Cheers,
Loonette
I as well went through my local fire department to get my certification.
I enjoyed my classes and I really like having the extra duty on the department.
I didn't like the tracheostomy care part of class but I made it through it.

There isn't anything worse then being punched out and having to care for a friend..
I have been punched out and had to attend a couple houses that my friends lived in. Broke my heart and It was very hard to stay focused on what I was doing on site. My first pass was not as bad as I thought it would be. I have worked with many elderly people and I put my heart in it. Breaks my heart to see anyone pass but I have learned there is comfort in the passing. You will be good at it if your hearts into it.
Do any of you go in?
http://www.myspace.com/30879168
http://allpoetry.com/pitprincess

kali
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Any EMT/paramedics's?

#4 Unread post by kali »

Ninja Geoff wrote:Well? Anyone? I was considering it as i'm not going to be able to get myself to a moto repair school anytime soon. The EMT I class is only $500 or so (which i'd have to do a payment plan on, heh) plus cost of the test (i think it might cost money anyway). I understand that it takes at least 6 months of EMT intermediate to become a paramedic, which is something i'm interested in. I mean, sure, the pay isn't that great from the research i've done (~$12/hr) but it seems like the average work week can be upwards of 50 hours.

Anyone who's done it think it was worth it? I want to help people, but at the same time i'm terrified of watching someone die in front of me.
I went to MMI in Arizona in the 80's after a stint in the Air Force as an F-4 Crew Chief (lead mechanic). It was cheap then. Don't know now. Most people start in bike shops as set-up guys and learn repair OJT.

Early 90's I did a 1 semester EMT course at a local community college then went right into a respiratory therapist program.

I think all the above work well. After the EMT I would recommend a community or state college associate degree program (upgrade to BS degree after you get your license so you can earn money sooner) in Radiology 1st, Respiratory Therapy 2nd, Physical Therapy requires BS to start. All much better pay, hours and bennies.
Platitudes kill!