maybe its just me...

96xj600
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

maybe its just me...

#1 Unread post by 96xj600 »

i didnt know where else to put this. but why the heck dont they have an off position on the pet-chickens ( the fuel switch thingy) :frusty: i have only had my bike for 5-6 months now and have had to take off the tank about 5 times. its a bit frustrating to have to clamp the hoses and make sure its not leaking.....is there any manufacturer that has realized this. or am i an idiot and missing something here?!?!
... i just want to ride and then die

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#2 Unread post by scan »

I don't know for sure on your bike, but on my Kawasaki (and I think most Kawaskis which are not FI bikes) there are three positions for the fuel petcock. On - only allows fuel to flow when the engine is running - it is activated by vacuum. Res - allowing a remaining amount of fuel to the carbs which the On position can't reach - this is also vacuum operated. The final position is PRI. PRI allows the fuel to flow without the engine being on. This is to primer the carbs if they were empty or after you run out of gas you may need to leave it in PRI until it start running after you re-fill.

What positions are shown on your switch? Is it possibly vacuum operated, which would mean in the on position no fuel should get by (unless the vacuum diaphragm is worn out, then it leaks past). I thought Yamahas had On - Res - Off set ups. If there is no "Off" or it is not vacuum controled, Yamaha sure did a silly thing there.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by old-n-slow »

My yamaha has on reserve and prime, just as your bike does. You can safely remove the fuel tank with the petcock in the on position.

96- I bet yours is the same and you just didn't realize it. :?
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by 9000white »

you have got to be careless on this--be sure some doofus like me hasnt took the vacuum diaphragm out and it is running straight through.got 3 of them here now like that.
dr bob