Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Marquez Falls, Bravely Remounts to Finish 11th at Sepang

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Marquez Falls, @Bravely Remounts to Finish 11th at #Sepang

Honda’s MotoGP riders had a challenging time at rainy Sepang today, with both Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda RC213V) and Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda RC213V) crashing while running in the lead group.

Jack Miller(#43)zoomJack Miller(#43) Marc Marquez(#93)zoomMarc Marquez(#93)
Marquez, who secured the 2016 MotoGP Riders World Championship two weeks ago in Japan, remounted and bravely continued to finish 11th. Honda’s top finisher was Jack Miller (EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda RC213V) in eighth place.

With only next month’s Valencia season finale to go, Honda still leads the MotoGP Constructors World Championship by 21 points.

A tropical downpour delayed the start by 20 minutes, the race getting underway on a track that still carried a lot of standing water. A lead pack of five riders quickly developed, with Marquez and Crutchlow chasing eventual winner Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati), runner-up Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) and Andrea Iannone (Ducati), who also crashed out

Tentatively feeling their way into the race as conditions gradually improved, Marquez and Crutchlow (the winners of the previous two MotoGP races) were circulating together at pace.

Marquez had just passed Crutchlow for fourth place and had his sights set on the three riders ahead when the Briton fell at turn two on lap 12 of 19. Crutchlow’s performance had been heroic, because the 31-year old broke a bone in his left hand when he fell yesterday.

Marquez fell later that same lap, suggesting that tire wear was becoming an issue, as he attempted to hone in on the leaders. Running with carbon brake discs, Marquez felt second place was within his reach until he lost the front end at turn 11. The five-time World Champion remounted and fought valiantly until the end to recoup some points with an 11th-place finish.

Miller rode a mature race to come home eighth. Usually fast in wet weather conditions, the Australian took care not to make mistakes throughout the race and was rewarded with his third-highest finish of the season.

Riding with a hand that is still healing after a fast fall at the Red Bull Ring in August, Miller did well to maintain his advantage over the chasing Pol Espargaro (Yamaha) at the close of the race.

With Marquez 11th, Hiroshi Aoyama (Repsol Honda RC213V) just missed out on scoring world championship points in 16th. The Japanese rider was riding only his second race of the year, as substitute for the injured Dani Pedrosa, who hopes to return to action at Valencia.

Starting from 17th, Aoyama found visibility bad in the early laps and only felt comfortable upping his pace once he was out of the spray thrown up by other riders.

Tito Rabat (EG 0,0 Marc VDS Honda RC213V), the sole rookie in the MotoGP class collected some valuable experience in the wet. The 2014 Moto2 World Champion Rabat finished in 18th place.

In the Honda CBR600-powered Moto2 class, Johann Zarco (Ajo Motorsport Kalex) wrapped up his second world title in succession with a classy win on a wet track. After securing a dominant pole position by a full two seconds, Zarco started calmly, felt his way into the race, and then pounced on early leader Franco Morbidelli (Estrella Galicia 0.0 Marc VDS Kalex) on lap 14 of 19.

From there, Zarco eased clear of the Italian and Jonas Folger (Dynavolt Intact GP Kalex) at a rapid rate to become the first rider to successfully defend a Moto2 World Championship since the category’s birth in 2010.

Zarco had strong midseason form – with four wins in five – but then went through a fallow period of results, scoring only one podium finish in the next six races. His task today was to finish ahead of Thomas Luthi (Garage Plus Interwetten Kalex) to wrap-up the title.

Continuing his rich vein of form, Morbidelli took advantage of a late Folger mistake to take second, his fourth consecutive podium finish, with the German completing the top-three. Lorenzo Baldassarri (Forward Team Kalex) broke clear of an intense fight for fourth, while home hero Hafizh Syahrin (Petronas Raceline Malaysia Kalex) took a fine fifth. Luthi was sixth, ahead of Alex Marquez (Estrella Galicia 0.0 Marc VDS Kalex), Xavi Vierge (Tech 3 Racing Tech3), Luca Marini (Forward Team Kalex) and Isaac Vinales (Tech 3 Racing Tech3).

Jakub Kornfeil (Drive M7 SIC Racing Team Honda NSF250RW) scored an excellent second-place finish in a frantic Moto3 encounter for his first podium appearance of 2016.

Just 18 of the 33 starters finished the race after two incidents on the first and third laps at turn six. The first incident claimed five riders, including Aron Canet (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Honda NSF250RW). The second claimed a further four riders, as they struggled with a mostly dry track that featured some tricky damp patches.

Kornfeil remained cool under pressure in a tight battle for the runner-up spot with Bo Bendsneyder (KTM) and clinched second when the race was stopped three laps early due to an incident at the final corner. Kornfeil’s result was even more impressive considering that he had qualified 15th.

Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda Team Asia Honda NSF250RW) delighted the home crowd with a fantastic eighth-place finish, his best GP result in dry conditions to date. Livio Loi (RW Racing GP Honda NSF250RW) was a hard-fought ninth.

The thrilling 2016 MotoGP season concludes at Valencia, Spain, on November 13th.

Marc MarquezzoomMarc Marquez Hiroshi Aoyama(#7)zoomHiroshi Aoyama(#7)

Honda MotoGP Rider Quotes
Jack Miller, EG 0,0 Marc VDS: 8th“I am always looking for more but in today’s conditions I can take this result; it was pretty good considering the really tricky conditions, it wasn’t easy to stay on the bike. All weekend I had not been comfortable with our set-up in the wet so I’m reasonably happy to bring it home in the top ten and be the first Honda rider. Now it’s off to Valencia and, hopefully, a strong finish to the season.”Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda: 11th“Today was a difficult day. In the morning the weather was already unstable and finally the race was in the wet. Before the start I decided to use the carbon front brakes, which gave me the chance to be stronger in braking. It was the right choice and it has nothing to do with my crash. At the beginning of the race I was riding quite comfortably in the leading group, trying to save the tires for the end of the race, but suddenly I crashed by losing the front at Turn 11. I thought I had a chance to finish on the podium here, but it was not to be, and it is better that this happens now that we already have the title. This experience will help us for next year and helps us appreciate the World Championship even more.”Hiroshi Aoyama, Repsol Honda: 16th“It was a rather tough race. When it started raining heavily, I think I could have finished in a better position, but unfortunately I had traffic in front of me for a few laps. When I passed Rabat, it was too late to catch the riders ahead. At first there was plenty of water on track and I could barely see what was ahead of me, so I couldn’t overtake. After a while, I saw that the sun was beginning to come out and I decided to push a little more, but my situation was not easy. This weekend the team worked very hard to get me comfortable and provide me with the best bike possible. I'm very glad to have been able to ride for the Repsol Honda Team, I thank the team again for the chance and hope that at the next race Dani can return.”Tito Rabat, EG 0,0 Marc VDS: 18th“Considering the disaster of qualifying in the rain and my struggle for confidence on a wet track it is very satisfying to make a good step in the race. Completing the race distance in difficult conditions gives me a lot of experience for the future. Today I knew my limit especially with the lean angle and I did not go over it even though I would like to be closer to the front.”Cal Crutchlow, LCR Honda: DNF“I felt like I’ve had a few beers to be honest because it was a massive crash. I lost the rear off gas going around turn two. I had to make up some time in different areas. We were lacking a little in acceleration and then having to brake very late, and the front tire was getting worn to try and make up some time. We needed it to stay fully wet or to dry faster but the conditions were somewhere in the middle. The track was greasy and we struggled. We tried our best and it’s a shame that this was the outcome. I’m sorry for the team. I was there, being able to challenge at the front of a MotoGP race again. All I can do is try but it just didn’t work out today.”
Honda Moto2 Rider Quotes
Johann Zarco, Ajo Motorsport: 1st“It's great to be the first two-time Moto2 World Champion of Moto2, and it's hard not to cry at a moment like this. It was a good race in wet conditions for me, as although I was not the fastest. I had a good pace and could follow Franco [Morbidelli]. Then the track began to dry out and, like yesterday in qualifying, I felt a lot better than my rivals, found my line and could find some references. It is great to take the win and the title. A lot of things went through my mind on the last three laps, and I had to be very focused, but the advantage of three seconds made me more confident, if not calmer. I want to thank the Ajo Motorsport and everyone who has supported me. I love all my family and also my ‘motorcycle family', and wish the best for them. It is very nice to be World Champion for the second time with them. This title has been more exciting than last year’s, because the situation was different, it was harder and I had more pressure on me. Now it’s time to celebrate with everyone and go to Valencia without pressure.”Franco Morbidelli, Estrella Galicia 0.0 Marc VDS: 2nd“I struggled a little to understand that with the championship already done why Johann kept pushing in second place but it was a nice race and congratulations to him for winning the championship. I was very fast in the wet conditions but when the track started to dry out I could not keep the same pace with Johann but I could hold second with is great for me and the team. I go to Valencia with a good feeling for the final race and to aim for third position in the championship.”Jonas Folger, Dynavolt Intact GP: 3rd“Just before the race it looked like it was going to be dry and then it started to rain! Anyway, we were prepared for the rain so I had good confidence at the start of the race but I was struggling a bit with traction. At the end of the race there were some dry lines. I pushed and passed Franco but I made a big mistake, tucked the front tire three times in one entry. I went really wide and Franco went through again. I lost one place but it’s good to have another podium, especially before the last race. I’m very happy for Johann. He did an amazing season and he deserves it. I hope I can learn some things from him next year.”
Honda Moto3 Rider Quotes
Jakub Kornfeil, Drive M7 SIC Racing Team: 2nd“This is my best career finish in Moto3 and the feeling is amazing! I don’t think it has completely sunk in yet; it still feels like a dream. It was a very difficult race; there was no grip in the tire. The most important thing was to stay on the bike, study the track because it was changing every lap and be careful to avoid the wet patches. I want to say huge thanks to my team and to SIC [Sepang International Circuit] and all my sponsors and family. Without them I couldn’t do this! I want to dedicate this second place to them. For me this result means a lot; the first podium of the year is always special and especially at the home GP of my team; it’s incredible! To go back home with twenty points is fantastic.”Khairul Idham Pawi, Honda Team Asia: 8th“I feel good because this my first year here in the Moto3 class. For me, this is not a bad job! The problem we had was yesterday because I had to start from 20th position. I didn’t have good confidence in the rain. This morning we improved a little bit in the warm-up. I found my confidence then so it was good. I was very excited to see all the fans. They were all screaming, so it was very good!”Livio Loi, RW Racing GP: 9th“First of all I want to say sorry to Maria. I couldn’t do anything about it. I almost crashed myself a few times, but I have been lucky. It was a crazy race - another one. We didn’t have much time in the dry in the practices and that made it difficult to setup the bike. I think the team did a great job. There were still some damp spots on the track and that made it very hard. After the crash in the first lap - one I could only just avoid - it was very difficult to keep confidence, but I kept my head cool and found my rhythm again. It has been a good series of results for us, with fifth, seventh and ninth, but I'm happy we move back to Europe now for the final race of the season.”

Cal CrutchlowzoomCal Crutchlow

MotoGP World Championship Grand Prix 2016
Round 17: Malaysia Race
MotoGP Class

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Andrea DOVIZIOSO (Ducati Team)
2 Valentino ROSSI (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP)
3 Jorge LORENZO (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP)
4 Hector BARBERA (Avintia Racing)
5 Loris BAZ (Avintia Racing)
6 Maverick VIÑALES (Team SUZUKI ECSTAR)
7 Alvaro BAUTISTA (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini)
8 Jack MILLER (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS)
9 Pol ESPARGARO (Monster Yamaha Tech 3)
10 Danilo PETRUCCI (OCTO Pramac Yakhnich)
11 Marc MARQUEZ (Repsol Honda Team)
12 Eugene LAVERTY (Pull & Bear Aspar Team)
13 Aleix ESPARGARO (Team SUZUKI ECSTAR)
14 Bradley SMITH (Monster Yamaha Tech 3)
15 Scott REDDING (OCTO Pramac Yakhnich)

Moto2 Class

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Johann ZARCO (Ajo Motorsport)
2 Franco MORBIDELLI (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS)
3 Jonas FOLGER (Dynavolt Intact GP)
4 Lorenzo BALDASSARRI (Forward Team)
5 Hafizh SYAHRIN (Petronas Raceline Malaysia)
6 Thomas LUTHI (Garage Plus Interwetten)
7 Alex MARQUEZ (Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS)
8 Xavi VIERGE (Tech 3 Racing)
9 Luca MARINI (Forward Team)
10 Isaac VIÑALES (Tech 3 Racing)
11 Simone CORSI (Speed Up Racing)
12 Ramdan ROSLI (Petronas AHM Malaysia)
13 Remy GARDNER (Tasca Racing Scuderia Moto2)
14 Alex RINS (Paginas Amarillas HP 40)
15 Xavier SIMEON (QMMF Racing Team)

Moto3 Class

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Francesco BAGNAIA (Pull & Bear Aspar Mahindra Team)
2 Jakub KORNFEIL (Drive M7 SIC Racing Team)
3 Bo BENDSNEYDER (Red Bull KTM Ajo)
4 Fabio QUARTARARO (Leopard Racing)
5 Andrea LOCATELLI (Leopard Racing)
6 Marcos RAMIREZ (Platinum Bay Real Estate)
7 Gabriel RODRIGO (RBA Racing Team)
8 Khairul Idham PAWI (Honda Team Asia)
9 Livio LOI (RW Racing GP BV)
10 Darryn BINDER (Platinum Bay Real Estate)
11 Hafiq AZMI(Peugeot MC Saxoprint)
12 Niccolò ANTONELLI (Ongetta-Rivacold)
13 Stefano VALTULINI (3570 Team Italia)
14 Lorenzo PETRARCA (3570 Team Italia)
15 Fabio DI GIANNANTONIO (Gresini Racing Moto3)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.