Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

MAX NAGL PLACES THIRD IN 2016 MXGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

MAX @NAGL PLACES THIRD IN 2016 #MXGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
#GERMAN STAR ENDS 2016 @MXGP SERIES FOURTH OVERALL AT GP OF #USA

Rounding out his participation in the 2016 Motocross World Championship with fourth overall at the GP of USA, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Max Nagl collected the points needed to secure third place in this year’s MXGP championship.

With the Motocross World Championship drawing to a close at the iconic Glen Helen Raceway, the German star delivered two hugely determined rides to wrap up his 2016 MXGP campaign on a high note. Finishing as runner-up in his qualifying moto, he kept his momentum going into Sunday’s final MXGP motos.

Getting a great start in the opening race he found himself leading the moto for a couple of corners, before eventually finishing a strong third. With the FC 450 powering the German to the holeshot in moto two, Nagl went on to cross the line fourth for fourth overall at the GP of USA.

Following in Nagl’s footsteps, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s MX2 rider Max Anstie also claimed fourth overall in his class to round out the 2016 series with fourth in the MX2 World Championship standings.

Getting the holeshot in moto one, the Brit battled for the top spot for a number of laps before starting to feel the effects of his recent illness. Running out of energy Anstie was forced to settle for eighth. Determined to give it his all during the last moto of the season, Anstie got another great start to eventually cross the line fourth. Wrapping up the series with a total of 504 points, he was just eight points behind the top three in the MX2 championship.

After his strong fourth overall MX2 result in Charlotte last week, Thomas Covington entered the series’ finale aiming to earn a spot inside the top three. Getting a mediocre start in moto one, the American battled through the pack to finish fourth. Unfortunately, a fall in moto two resulted in a 14th place MX2 result.

Missing four GPs in the middle of the year due to injury, Covington wrapped up his debut season with Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing in 11th in the final MX2 championship standings.

Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Max Nagl and Max Anstie are now set to represent their respective countries at the 2016 Motocross of Nations that will take place in Maggiora, Italy, on September 24/25.

Max Nagl: “I’m happy with the way the season ended in Glen Helen. I wanted to end the year on a high and finish inside the top three in the MXGP championship and I’m happy to say both goals were accomplished. In the first moto I got off to a great start leading the race for the first corners before settling for third. My start in moto two was even better and I managed to get my ninth holeshot for the season. I kept the lead until the second lap and then slowly dropped to fourth and that’s where I finished. We were tied in points for third overall with Gajser but he beat me due to his better finish in moto two. We’ve worked really hard with the team this season and this third place in the championship is the best reward for all of us. It’s been a very long season with a lot of travelling. I’m now going to take some time off and soon I will start my preparations for next year. The plan is to keep working as hard as always and hopefully in 2017 we’ll have an even bigger chance for the MXGP title.”

Max Anstie: “It’s been a good GP, considering I’ve been ill the last couple of days. It all started during the previous round in Charlotte. Actually, I thought I was all right, as I felt a lot better before the weekend. But ten minutes into each moto and the effects started coming in. Despite aching and feeling sick I did my best in both motos, pushing as hard as my body allowed me to do. I’m also happy with my holeshot in moto one, which helped me secure the holeshot award for this season. My speed was good during the first few laps, but then I felt tired and dropped back to eighth. I got another great start in moto two, even leading the race for a couple of corners. Despite feeling sick again I battled to fourth for fourth overall. Overall, I’m happy with the way this season ended and I’m looking forward to stepping up to the MXGP class with Husqvarna in 2017.”

Thomas Covington: “I felt good all weekend and my speed was pretty good as well. In the first moto I started in about eighth position. I struggled to find a good race pace in the beginning. Towards the end I found my rhythm and was able to pass a few guys in the last ten minutes to finish the moto fourth. In the second race I got a pretty good start, but struggled to find a good feeling in the track. In the second lap I went off the track and lost a couple of spots. I came back and was trying to make it to the podium but I had another crash on top of the hill that ruined my moto. Overall, we had a good first season with the team and I’m looking forward to working hard during the off-season in order to come back stronger next year.”

Download all high-resolution pictures here.

Results – FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 18

MXGP Overall
1. Eli Tomac (Kawasaki) 50; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 44; 3. Tim Gajser (Honda) 38; 4. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 38… 19. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 7

MXGP Race 1
1. Eli Tomac (Kawasaki) 16 laps, 36:36.218; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 36:51.840; 3. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 37:04.755… 17. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 38:16.217… 21. Marco Maddii (Husqvarna) 15 laps, 37:09.312

MXGP Race 2
1. Eli Tomac (Kawasaki) 15 laps, 34:58.974; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 35:15.005; 3. Tim Gajser (Honda) 35:18.015; 4. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 35:24.634… 18. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 37:09.964… 22. Marco Maddii (Husqvarna) 36:10.002

MX2 Overall
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 50pts; 2. Jeremy Martin (Honda) 44; 3. Mitchell Harrison (Yamaha) 32; 4. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 31… 8. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 25

MX2 Race 1
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 15 laps, 34:43.854; 2. Jeremy Martin (Honda) 34:54.014; 3. Austin Forkner (Kawasaki) 35:00.467; 4. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 35:12.398… 8. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 35:39.237

MX2 Race 2
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 15 laps, 35:33.376; 2. Jeremy Martin (Honda) 35:40.947; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Suzuki) 35:44.515; 4. Max Asntie (Husqvarna) 36:05.187… 14. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 37:39.711

Championship Standings (Final)

MXGP
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 731 points; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 647; 3. Max Nagl (Husqvarna) 603… 16. Christophe Charlier (Husqvarna) 198... 21. Jake Nicholls (Husqvarna) 114... 25. Rui Goncalves (Husqvarna) 49… 47. Rick Satink (Husqvarna) 4… 55. Marco Maddii (Husqvarna) 1

MX2
1. Jeffrey Herlings (KTM) 739 points; 2. Jeremy Seewer (Suzuki) 625; 3. Benoit Paturel (Yamaha) 512; 4. Max Anstie (Husqvarna) 504… 11. Thomas Covington (Husqvarna) 286… 19. Conrad Mewse (Husqvarna) 126… 28. Lars van Berkel (Husqvarna) 56; 29. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 54… 38. Ben Watson (Husqvarna) 39… 43. Pascal Rauchenecker (Husqvarna) 24… 47. Davide Bonini (Husqvarna) 21… 50. Nicholas Lapucci (Husqvarna) 16; 51. James Dunn (Husqvarna) 15… 61. Sven Van der Mierden (Husqvarna) 6
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.