Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

KTM Has A Mid-Sized Duke On The Way For 2017

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

(Sean Mmacdonald over at Jalopnik)

Rumors of an 800 cc mill have been increasing over the last year or two from the Austrian brand, so much so that I was actually really disappointed last November when they weren’t released. Spy shots show the rumors were true, just my timing was a little off.

The shots first showed up on UK site Visordown.com, but then Motorcycle.com found and posted several more of the “spy shots.” Good thing someone with a nice camera, long lens, had their camera set to shoot in burst mode. The “spy photographer” wants silly amounts of money to post the photos here, so head to the Motorcycle.com link for the pics.

An 800-something cc twin would fit in perfectly between the small and almost supermoto-like 690 Duke and batshit bonkers 1290 Super Duke or 1190 Adventure. The former uses a massive single, while the latter all feature big V-Twins.

From the look of the spy shots, this mid sized engine will use a parallel twin configuration, although we hear it will use a 270-degree firing order which sort of mimics the feeling of a V-Twin (like the Ducati and Triumph Scramblers.)

When I first saw it was a parallel twin, my mind immediately thought of the BMW F800, which puts out a paltry 80 horsepower or so. But KTM claim something more in the 100-110 horsepower range, which will be important if they want to continue to claim their offerings are “ready to race.”

While this round of spy shots is of this new motor in a new Duke, their naked sportbike range, the bike I’m more excited about will be when a variant of this motor is used in some sort of smaller adventure bike. The 1190 is a great bike when the off-road conditions are good, but you feel all that weight pretty quickly. A smaller option would be incredibly versatile and useful for those of us who aren’t Chris Birch.

From Visor Down:

HERE’S a first look at a new addition to KTM’s Duke family, filling the gap between the 690 and 1290 Super Duke R.

It’s expected to be around 800cc but will be called the Duke 890, in line with the rest of the range. Where the 1290 is a V-twin and the smaller Dukes are singles, this new one is a parallel-twin. Behind the section of exhaust pipe you can see is a second one exiting the right-hand cylinder.

Like the other models in the range, it's got a steel trellis frame, although it's mostly obscured by bodywork and rider in this shot. The swing-arm is double-sided in common with the smaller Dukes, where the 1290's is single-sided.

Styling is closest to the 690 variant, with a similar headlight unit, which is less angular and aggressive-looking than the 1290's.

Expected to arrive in 2017, it will bring a fifth capacity to the current Duke range, which also includes the 125 and 390 models.

It's the second secret KTM to be revealed on Visordown today, along with an updated 1190 Adventure.

Both were spotted being tested in Spain.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.