Sex: Male
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 1983 VT500FT

Honda's CB500x vs NC700x

#1 Unread post by NEDan »

Which would you pick and why.
So similar yet different.
Price looks to be possibly $1k apart.
Unbelievable mpg from the 700 with 3.7 gal tank. Will the 500 be even better? 4.5 gal (us)
http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x/compare.aspx

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Honda's CB500x vs NC700x

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

It'll be about 200ccs worth of difference. 500 will be lighter, 700 will be better for an adventure tourer.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

NEDan
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 1983 VT500FT

#3 Unread post by NEDan »

Ahh the definition of Adventure Tourer. Now that can be painted with a very broad brush cant it ?

Are not everything from BMW's Giant SUV to the better off on road than off and yet immensely popular Vstrom 650 to the Versys, then there's the somewhat poser adventure, oops the road went dirt, NC700/CB500x.
But I apologize.
The Honda's really not a poser adventure bike if it perfectly fits it's owners intended purpose and he-she doesn't need 9" 0f suspension or 70+ hp. But on the other end I'm also not sure 4.7" rear and 5.5" front is enough. Maybe the NC would fair better when it gets rough.

VT500FT Ascot I have a potential Adventure bike that's 411lbs, 6 speed, with 6.1 inches of front fork travel and 4.5 in the rear that I've often thought of shoeing it with some DS tires. a little better shocks and calling it a day. There maybe now it's an Adventure bike! Albeit with a tiny 2.5 gal tank :frusty: Thankfully I can coax 65 mpg out of that little 500v if I'm determined.

Just what is an adventure bike is most likely interpreted differently by different people.
I guess it depends on just how much adventure you are wanting to put you and your bike through.
Rough road, maintained dirt road, rough dirt road, cow path, or single track.
I still haven't figured out just how much suspension/motor/rim/tire is necessary but I guess it depends on where you want to ride?

Thats why I don't understand why you feel 200+ cc's Actually 499 vs 670 would equal a better adventure tourer. A CL500 Silverwing comes to mind in the touring past.
Example;
A 165 lb 5'9" solo rider it might not find much advantage from the additional cc's and might appreciate the close to an inch reduction in seat height along with the 42 lbs Less weight including more gas, might equal a lot of difference.
I wish Honda would release MPG figures for the 500's already.

I think maybe like me a percent of people defining the Adventure bike just wants some reassurance that if the road goes tar-less and a bit bumpy they're still somewhat safe and secure without sacrificing on road behavior.
What the specs can't tell us is how comfortable our particular bodies will fit

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Simply? The 700cc bike will have an easier time maintaining higher speeds while loaded down. The 500cc bike will probably be more maneuverable and easier to handle off-road, so in my mind that makes it a better dual sport.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha