High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

2011 Crossrunner-X

#1 Unread post by High_Side »

I'd like this bike more if it wasn't what I suspect is the final evolution of the original VFR. It should be good alternative to the V-Strom if it doesn't end up over-priced. Below is an interview with the designer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKm3dJY ... r_embedded
And the funny looks are starting to grow on me....
A promotional vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XstKFu ... re=related

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: 2011 Crossrunner-X

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

On another forum, someone posted this bike seems "confused" about what it's trying to be. I agree. A on-pavement-only adventure tourer powered by a detuned sportbike V4....... weighing 530 pounds. When a F800GS weighs 450 lbs wet, I'm not sure who this is aimed at.

I agree with you about price - Honda could move a lot of these if they price it right. It's a 10 year old driveline design. Remember what the leftover '07 VFR's were going for ...... Price it around $9000, they'll fly out of dealerships. Price it at $12K ....... meh.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

High_Side

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

I dunno about being confused. If you like a V-Strom but don't ever ride off-road this could be the bike for you. It should definitely handle better than a V-Strom with it's 17 inch wheels even if it is porky. The V-Four motor is a great bike engine too, even with V-Tech and a cam-chain. I'd like to try one out as soon as they available.
jstark47 wrote:Price it around $9000, they'll fly out of dealerships. Price it at $12K ....... meh.
Agreed, but here in Canuckistan I would expect it to sell at $11,500 but knowing Honda it will be $15K only to be discounted in two years to $9K :laughing:

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#4 Unread post by JC Viper »

Well hopefully this won't be a repeat of the DN-01. The concept model looked really nice and the final product wasn't too bad but fell short in quite a few areas.

How big is this bike's tank? The mileage is first and foremost with me and if it is bigger than and gets similar MPG as an F800 it's a win. And yes I do like how it looks...
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

High_Side

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

JC Viper wrote:Well hopefully this won't be a repeat of the DN-01. The concept model looked really nice and the final product wasn't too bad but fell short in quite a few areas.

How big is this bike's tank? The mileage is first and foremost with me and if it is bigger than and gets similar MPG as an F800 it's a win. And yes I do like how it looks...
This is the final product so what you see is what you get. The fuel capacity is 21.5 litres and Honda is claiming a 348km range - not unlike the VFR that it is largely based from. And after riding my old VFR to test ride the F800 a few years ago I couldn't believe how much more refined my then-12 year-old VFR felt after getting off of the crude F800 twin.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

jstark47 wrote:On another forum, someone posted this bike seems "confused" about what it's trying to be. I agree. A on-pavement-only adventure tourer powered by a detuned sportbike V4....... weighing 530 pounds. When a F800GS weighs 450 lbs wet, I'm not sure who this is aimed at.
How big is the engine? Seems (offhand) to be more of a mid-weight sport tourer, like competition for the F800ST (or an update to the previous generation VFR). I think the world could use another smaller-displacement sport tourer (although the stated weight could be a problem).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

Grey Thumper wrote:
jstark47 wrote:On another forum, someone posted this bike seems "confused" about what it's trying to be. I agree. A on-pavement-only adventure tourer powered by a detuned sportbike V4....... weighing 530 pounds. When a F800GS weighs 450 lbs wet, I'm not sure who this is aimed at.
How big is the engine? Seems (offhand) to be more of a mid-weight sport tourer, like competition for the F800ST (or an update to the previous generation VFR). I think the world could use another smaller-displacement sport tourer (although the stated weight could be a problem).
It's the same 800cc VTEC V4 as in the Gen 6 VFR. If they wanted a mid-size sport-tourer, they already had one (albeit one not selling too well). It seems they didn't really update the engine and drivetrain, they just sort of quasi-morphed it into an adventure tourer. They already had a legitimate adventure-tourer - all they had to do is homologate the Varadero into the USA.

They've become a peculiar company - engineering prowess in bucketloads, but kind of clueless about the North American market. The VFR faithful have been saying what they wanted for years - an updated 1000cc VFR, sharpened and lightened. Instead Honda gave them Shamu.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#8 Unread post by BuzZz »

Too heavy..... and fat-lookin'.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by Flesher »

It's official. Honda has become the Toyota of Motorcycles.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

ahh ummm well errrrr

Dear Honda,

You are a bunch of Assimo-loving twats.

Granted your bike is possibly slightly less ugly than the majority of these monstrosities... ahem, V-strom, etc.

And BTW these ugly candy-apple colour schemes combined with this barf styling are what really bring this bike to point of ugly-supreme. And so you've painted at least three current models in the same way makes one want to turn my back on them when they are in the same room --- designed for the same people you designed the DN01 for... people who line up to see the ugly beast and regurgitate last nights dinner.

Thank you and good luck with your Assimo (er, yes Asimo. I'm not sorry I said that). George Lucas awaits the first 600 of them for his next movie.

//monkey-butt-ugly

p.s. my apologies to the person (not committee) who designed the Fury. Because you friend, dude or dudette, have something interesting and kinda cool to show off.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)