Marvin
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Wal Mart Super Tech Oil Filters

#1 Unread post by Marvin »

Went to my local Suzuki Dealer to purchace a Suzuki oil filter and almost passed out when he wanted $27.95 for a # 16510-03G00-X07 !
I told him I didn't want the gold or chrome plated one, he said its painted black
I found the Wal Mart Super Tech # ST6607 that fit perfect and it was only $3.99

Next I went to the Yamaha dealer to purchace a OEM Yamaha Filter #5DM-13440-00, and I did pass out when he wanted $22.95!
"Why so much?" I asked? He said its the only filter to use on my Yamaha,
I found the Wal Mart Super Tech # ST7317 that fit perfect and it was only $3.99

I have done some research and the Wal Mart oil filters are made by Champion Labs, the same Co. that makes Mobil 1 oil filters and when you look at the Wal Mart and Mobil 1 filters they look exactly the same, even the same markings on the base plate and the same silkscreen numbers on the outside.

I would higly recommend Wal Mart Super Tech Oil Filters for your motorcycle!
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: Wal Mart Super Tech Oil Filters

#2 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Marvin wrote:I have done some research and the Wal Mart oil filters are made by Champion Labs, the same Co. that makes Mobil 1 oil filters and when you look at the Wal Mart and Mobil 1 filters they look exactly the same, even the same markings on the base plate and the same silkscreen numbers on the outside.

I would highly recommend Wal Mart Super Tech Oil Filters for your motorcycle!
Not that the OEM filters arent over-priced, and it's an large price difference, but good oil and oil filters are the #1 place to spend money on an engine. Yamaha and Suzuki have to warranty those engines, not Wal-Mart.

While you've put some effort into this, I would CAUTION AGAINST the "high" recommendation of Wal-Mart filters because it's what's INSIDE the filter housing that is the important part and until you have actually examined and understood the differences inside them having an identical # anywhere means little, because it may be only an model fitment spec (or sizing specification) (i.e. JUST THE # FOR THE BASE ITSELF). You cannot assume to know anything about the design and material qualities of the internals.

This "as good as" and "looks just like" tactic is used by TONS of retailers, and Canadian Tire is infamous for there cheap motorcycle batteries which are 1/2 the price and yet only about 1/4 the quality compared with solid OEMs like Yuasa and GS.

Wal-Mart is one of the BEST KNOWN COMPANIES FOR BEING THE MOST LIKELY COMPANY for doing this stuff. You may want to read about a certain lawn mower company and how Wal-Mart contracted them to build there lawn mowers for Wal-Mart -- it almost sunk the company and they pulled out of the Wal-Mart brigade because Wal-Mart was slowly forcing them to build cheaper and undercut quality which was ruining there reputation.

If the filter was REALLY a Mobil-1 branded product then I would be more inclined to trust the Mobil-1 brand, but Wal-Mart -- hee-hee -- the reputation speaks for itself.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES TO APPLES.

I would suggest a reputable company like Purolator or K&N as a worthwhile alternative oil filter brand before Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire or any other crap out there. These are companies that have built there reputations for quality over many more years, and I remember a situation when even Fram screwed up some motorcycle filters.

BUYER BEWARE
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I have heard that the Wal Mart Super Tech filters are good for the money, but like QuietMonkey mentions, you have to be careful of what the oil filter inside quality is like.

For me, I use WIX or UAP/NAPA Gold oil filters in my motorcycles, K&N (if they are reasonable) or OEM if they are reasonable in price.

The WIX or UAP/NAPA Gold oil filter are my personal favorite, you might be lucky enough to have your bike listed here: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/motorcycle.asp to get one.

For oil I use dino organic motorcycle oil (ie. Canadian tire brand) or Shell Rotella-T diesel oil in my bikes. (As strange as the Rotella-T recommendation is it works great and is "recommended" by Shell for bikes)

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Marvin
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

#4 Unread post by Marvin »

If I did have a warranty issue with my engine, and the engine problems were caused by the Wal Mart filter, they would have to provide some type of proof cause I will seek out my Attorney and sue Wal Mart.
If the dealer would refuse to honor a warranty because of the Wal Mart filter I would contact Wal Mart and file a claim against them, then Wal Mart would contat that dealer and with their billions and billions of dollars they would threaten that dealer with a lawsuit making them prove that the filter was no good.
I would LOVE and I mean "LOVE" for any dealer to tell me that, but none of them have the balls to go against Wal Mart
Wal Mart protects all their strore brand products like an attack dog and stands behind them 100%

(If you had a complaint agaisnt a Fram Filter you purchaced from Wal Mart, they wouldn't care,, BUT Wal Mart does care about their store brand "Super Tech")
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

You missed the two key points of the posting but I'm sure others will understand.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

To chime in here I had heard they were made by Champion as well...
I've cut the two brands open and seen the differences first hand. The wal-mart brand uses a lot thicker paper element to filter out, whereas the higher priced Suzuki/Yamaha/Mobil1 brands use more of a cotton paper to filter it. That results in less oil backpressure, higher flow, and more filtration because the overflow valve isn't opening as much.

I will also caution, YOUR FILTER MUST! HAVE A BYPASS VALVE IN IT!!!!!
Some Frams do not and using a Fram can and will void your Yamaha factory warranty.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:I will also caution, YOUR FILTER MUST! HAVE A BYPASS VALVE IN IT!!!!!
Some Frams do not and using a Fram can and will void your Yamaha factory warranty.
Excellent point about filters should have a bypass valve in it, don't buy one with out it.

NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#8 Unread post by ceemes »

Wouldn't buy bum wipe from Walmart even if I was out, they were the only place open and I was suffering from a raging case of green apple trots. I did a study of their distribution system back in college, great system but what I learned about their business practices during my research made me swear never to drop a penny into their coffers.
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

I will never support a heinous organization such as Slave-Mart.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Erpeolpowe
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2004/Yamaha/R6