RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

Motorcycle Superstore

#1 Unread post by RockBottom »

During the last year, I've bought a pile of stuff from Motorcycle Superstore but recently, they've irked me.

It has to do with customer review of products. I rely heavily on these and do a lot of them (particularly on Amazon). So I've also done them on the Motorcycle Superstore site. It seems, though, that they won't publish negative things.

Specifically, I wrote a negative review for the Nolan 102 helmet. I've owned one for more than a year and have found it quite disappointing. Motorcycle Superstore won't publish my review, but leaves up the three raves reviews for the helment.

I find this annoying enough that Motorcycle Superstore has moved from my "first choice" to my "last resort" for gear and equipment.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

Veda
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by Veda »

Wow, that's good to know. I think most internet savvy shoppers these days rely on reviews before making any online purchases.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Motorcycle Superstore

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

RockBottom wrote:It seems, though, that they won't publish negative things.
Well, of course they won't. Negative reviews will discourage potential customers from buying the item and then they're stuck with unsold stock on their hands because nobody wants to buy it. Not good for business. :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by RockBottom »

But Amazon and other places like LL Bean and Sierra Trading Post publish ALL reviews, negative and positive.
planet Earth is blue

Gummiente

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

So does eBay. Difference is they all have a much larger customer base and don't always have a particular item in stock for immediate delivery. Plus, they usually have a return policy for good that do not meet the customers expectations.

If Motorycycle Superstore has 120 Nolan helmets in stock and a few customers post negative reviews about them, chances are they'll be stuck with 120 Nolan helmets for a long time. Plus, if you do buy one and decide you don't like it, I doubt they'll accept it for return.

EDIT: This is all just guesswork on my part, but it's based on what I've observed in the motorcycle industry.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by RockBottom »

I could understand a business not providing a section for customer reviews at all. I just think it's duplicitous to provide one then cherry pick the reviews unless they specifically state they are doing so. The expectation of customers is that they are following the Amazon policy of publishing all reviews.
planet Earth is blue

Gummiente

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

RockBottom wrote:The expectation of customers is that they are following the Amazon policy of publishing all reviews.
Exactly. And if the seller stacks the deck in their favour, they sell more product and make more money and to hell with the consumer's feelings. Not all businesses play by the "good" rule book.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

woooopa
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by woooopa »

That's why I've been shopping with Revzilla. Their customer service and prices are AWESOME and they post all reviews (good or bad).

http://www.revzilla.com/

debtman7
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by debtman7 »

I've also found they have a tendency to list things as in stock when they really aren't... I ordered some bags and a windscreen about 2 weeks ago. Got a shipping notice on the bags after 2 days I think, and they arrived quickly. No work on the windscreen until a week after order when I get a notice saying that it's being sent from an alternate distribution center and they'll notify me when it's shipped. If I'd know it was not in stock I would have ordered it elsewhere... Only reason I ordered from them was for free shipping, and theoretically they're nearby so it should have gotten here quick.

apriliarsv888
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 08 Aprilia RSV1000

#10 Unread post by apriliarsv888 »

I have bought from them and was happy but I hear you on the reviews. I think unbiased reviews are much better for business in the long run. I can understand that they would not want to show the review but then they shouldn't have the reviews at all. I will also say someone saying something bad about a product would not always deter me because one mans burden is another mans joy.

With so many choices for motorcycle gear online these days you can pick a huge variety of stores I have dealt with:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ , http://www.cyclegear.com/, http://www.discount-motorcycle-parts.net/ and http://www.jafrum.com/ all have been good to me. As to the having to order in stuff. I really do expect that from these guys. If you had to stock every item in every size and then you have to turn that around to sell it its going to be tough. I also believe they should be honest with you about it and notify you in a timely manner. To me that is what I look for in a place online I buy parts or gear from. I want you to let me know and work with me and don't just leave me hanging in the wind wondering when and where my stuff is.

Just my two cents!