2005 Honda Rebel

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#41 Unread post by Scott58 »

I'm coming up on 25,000 miles on the bike now. Tires, chain, spark plugs and oil changes have been it (after the first 2 services). It's been to 14 states plus canada. There is no better value in motorcycles. The 80mpg is the gift that keeps on giving. I've riden this bike in minus 2 degrees and 102 degrees and everything inbetween it always fires right up and is ready to go when i am. I'll keep this bike until the day it dies and i'll buy another one 5 minutes after that happens.

P.S. BigDean I've been riding over 30 years. Out grow it? Just learn to power slide. It will keep you interested! :lol:
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#42 Unread post by Scott58 »

Just turned over 35,000 miles. Last long trip was to Newport News, Virginia. Still no issues. Still runs like new.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Syst3m7
Rookie
Rookie

#43 Unread post by Syst3m7 »

Hello everyone! First of all, let me start off by saying that this thread is really great! :)

Well, I'm about to purchase my first street bike. I once had Yamaha YZF 125 dirt bike, but that was long ago. lol Anyway, I've been looking at the Rebel and it has always been a bike that I like, and it's definately in my price range. The one I'm wanting to get is the 2008 Rebel 250c. I'm 26 years old, 6'1" and weighing about 160lbs. So I imagine I wouldn't really have much of a problem with speed on this bike, although speed isn't really what I'm looking for. I just want a good starter bike.

Not really sure why I'm posting this, I'm just very excited. lol Glad to be a part of everything.

bobby0824
Rookie
Rookie

#44 Unread post by bobby0824 »

[quote="Scott58"]The sprocket is about $30. The dealer quoted $80 to replace both sprockets and chain. Don't think it would be that big a deal to do it yourself if your so inclined, just time consuming.[/quote]

I had mine changed to the 30 teeth and the total cost for sprocket & installation was 70-some dollars and no chain replacement is necessary. I heard that there's a 28 tooth sprocket but that will require re-sizing the chain.

Syst3m7
Rookie
Rookie

#45 Unread post by Syst3m7 »

Well, I have an update to my last post... I've been shopping around, and sitting on every bike and getting a feel for it. lol Well, the Rebel 250 is quite smaller than I thought. It's too small for my body, my knees and almost my shins get in the way of the handle bars.

Since I've been looking around, I've come to the conclusion that I want a sports bike. This leads me to a question for you guys out there.

I've heard that even a 250 crotch rocket like a Ninja or so can be very fast with accelerating but not that great at high speeds. As I said before, I'm not looking for something to kill myself on. hehe My question is..... Would I be doing good to get a 250 Ninja to start out on, or should I just go ahead and get an EX500 or something a little bigger? I am wanting something with a little power to get up and go quick, but I don't need a power house or anything to make me happy.

I guess what I should really be asking is... Will a Kawasaki Ninja 250 have the get up and go acceleration that I'm wanting, or do I need to get something a little bigger.

wallbrownfj8
Rookie
Rookie

#46 Unread post by wallbrownfj8 »

I'd say a 250 Ninja would be fine for you, but I haven't ridden a motorcycle yet, so, don't take my word for it.

More on fuel economy! (great thread) I'm going to get one...eventually.

gypsy_woman
Regular
Regular

you would be suprised

#47 Unread post by gypsy_woman »

look at the horsepower, that is where it's at, the engine sizes can be missleading. the 250 ninja has 36 horsepower. the 650 savage has 40 horsepower and so-on. The Ninja 250 does fine at highway speeds, fine unless you are a speed fiend.
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" -Janis Joplin-

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#48 Unread post by Scott58 »

Just went over 50,000 miles this week. Another set of tires and plug change has been it (plus oil changes of course). This thing still runs like new. Unbelievable! Gonna check the valves in the next couple of weeks, but i'm not to concerned.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50