Zongshen 200gs/motorstar z200

nrmcolt
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Zongshen 200gs/motorstar z200

#1 Unread post by nrmcolt »

Hey all,

Anybody got experience with this new bike from China? I'm really considering it. I need your input pls., what are the pros and cons.?
TIA
Duck Dodgers - If he's our future, we're history!

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#2 Unread post by flynrider »

Lately I've been hearing a lot about these chinese bikes. Originally it was mostly scooter folks, but the Chinese mfgrs. seem to be branching out into the low end motorcycle business these days.

If the scooter problem is any indication, you probably don't want to spend much on one of these bikes. The main problem seems to be little or no quality control, questionable paperwork (for title and registration), and an almost complete lack of support.

Without a parts and service organization behind the vehicle, you're pretty much on your own. The majority of these bikes are sold by individual importers operating out of a warehouse somewhere. Once you've paid your money, they're not really interested in hearing from you again.

The tipoff that you're not getting a stellar product is in the warranty. I had friends pay $1000 for a 100 cc scooter that came with a 30 day parts-only warranty (I think they were insane, by the way). Parts are probably the least expensive item on a repair, and 30 days tells you how long the manufacturer expected the bike to last. Compounding the problem was that no reputable bike mechanic would work on them. They were built to work for a short period of time, then everything starts falling apart (lights, wires, carbs, etc...). When that happens, they're not worth fixing.

Overall, I think I'd stay away from the Chinese imports for now. The purchase price may be attractive, but most owners find that it was false economy after a few months (or days). Someday, Chinese bikes may achieve the level of Japanese or Korean manufacturing, but from the products I've seen so far, they're not even close yet.

If you don't want to be kicking yourself with buyers remose, I'd recommend saving your money and buying a quality product from a known reputable manufacturer with a parts and service network.

Caveat Emptor!
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

nrmcolt
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks..

#3 Unread post by nrmcolt »

Flynrider, that is one logical reply I've heard in awhile.

Again, thanks and ride safely.
Duck Dodgers - If he's our future, we're history!

BlueKnyght
Rookie
Rookie

Juz some guy with a zs200GS...

#4 Unread post by BlueKnyght »

Hi friendz!!!

The Zongshen zs200GS / Motorstar Xplorer z200 has been selling like hotcakes in the Philippines for sometime now, that a rider's club exclusive to owners of this bike has been formed nationwide. And its getting bigger. Try checking their website at: http://www.xplorersphilippines.org .

My z200 is almost five months now and I got lotz of experiences to tell. I had some minor accidents (reckless drivers bumping and wrecking my taillight assembly while on traffic), and 1 major accident (out-balancing and tumbling while trying to avoid an on-coming car, suddenly overtaking and goes face-to-face with me, while I'm doing 50-60kph on a highway.) So far, I only wrecked plastic and rubber parts, leaked the gas tank, but no problem on the engine, carb and chassis. I was amazed to ride the bike after tumbling on concrete for the remaining 15 kms to my destination (home). The performance was still ok. If I weren't shivering from my bleeding knees and elbows, sprained hip and shoulders and a throbbing broken rib, I could still have gone over 50kph. I guess the bike's engine is quite tough enough to survive that crash. In other words, the quality isn't bad at all.

The sad part is when I took it for repairs to the distributor (EastWorld Motors)... the 1 yr. warranty and free services just seemed to go out of the window. the order for part replacements, took five weeks of waiting and follow-ups. I gez this is where flynrider goes right (at some points only). Even with basic services, the distributor seemed trying to avoid the warranty conditions, but more interested for you to void it ASAP. I wasn't even satisfied with the assembly, when they delivered my unit, with disconnected speedo cable, loose nuts and bolts, and bad electrical connections. During the first month, I just can't leave my bike under the rain, or I'll be pushing 150kgs of weight to the service center (not to mention my embarrassing condition while in the process.) Well, I got them all fixed now, and I'm enjoying my rides as I expected them to be.

All I'm trying to say is, I don't have any problem with the chinese boyz (engineers and manufacturers). The problem lies on our local boyz (importers, assemblers, distributors, service mechanics) here, who seemed to be more interested in the sales not on the quality. (dunno why they are heading to self-destruction this way. probably stupidity, datz all.)

Now that I got all my problems fixed, ask me about the performance. Hell with it! I just can't beat our neighbor with a Honda CB-1. What can a 200cc do against a 400cc anyways?

P.S.: I didn't know you also have a MotorStar company in your countries. I thought they're only in the Philippines. BTW, if you're getting a z200, don't forget to check it for loose things or disconnected things, so you could be a lot sure of itz Zongshen quality. And don't mind other bikes who'd suddenly speeds up when they got close to you. (It's only natural they get challenged by your looks.) I'm sure you'll thank me for telling you. RIDE SAFE, bro.

Heimdall Einherjar
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Heimdall Einherjar »

Do NOT buy Chinese motor products.

1) They are of terrible quality, hence the low price.

2) They are built using unfair labor practices, also hence the low price.

3) Don't support the Chinese regime.

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#6 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Ive heard nothing but bad reports from these chinese bikes. I think BlueKnyght was in support of the bikes but I'm not quite sure. With a 1 year warranty, which apparently they dont quite support, and the fact that its falling apart as soon as it hits your driveway tells you what to expect from these bikes.

You'll get better quality out of a used 1985 bike with 40k miles thats been rusting in a back yard for 15 years I think.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

Heimdall Einherjar
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Heimdall Einherjar »

BlueKnyght, I know English isn't your first language, but plurals are made with the letter "s", not "z"...

BlueKnyght
Rookie
Rookie

BlueKnyght with a Chinese Bike is back

#8 Unread post by BlueKnyght »

Hi. I've posted here way back in 2006 i think. It's 2009 now, and I just want to show y'all that my Zongshen 200GS bike is still alive & kicking. below are some of the recently taken photos of my bike in 2009:

Image Image Image

I've been using this bike on a daily basis, City driving, and occasionally on highways. The longest is an 800 kms to Tagaytay Philippines. I've already changed the clutch linings, and rear tire bearings 3 yrs. after purchase, changed light bulbs a couple of times already, and I'm about to change the tubeless tires this year. yup, the tires endures so much. a bit slippery though on wet roads, but quite manageable with proper braking techniques.

i had several minor accidents on this beast: several slides, and the worst a thumbling accident where I had to replace the frontal plastic fairings. which are quite available at the service center, just like all other parts.

I hope y'all could greet it happy 4th birthday on nov. 9, 2009. Nov. 9, 2005 is the date i acquired it. I'm the adopting father, lol.

m still expecting 6 yrs more to go (or more) before i decide changing this amazing ride.

fong47
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by fong47 »

Nice pic Blue knight. Thanks for the input.. I guess based on what your saying is the Chinese mad bike is not too bad at all. The only sad thing is when they heard of chinese made products, they are assuming its no good because of the recent scandals like baby food, sheetrock...

BlueKnyght
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by BlueKnyght »

fong47 wrote:Nice pic Blue knight. Thanks for the input.. I guess based on what your saying is the Chinese mad bike is not too bad at all. The only sad thing is when they heard of chinese made products, they are assuming its no good because of the recent scandals like baby food, sheetrock...
Thanks for appreciating. I guess all I could say about such issues is, nothing beats sound research.

It really took me time before I purchased my bike. I really had a list of prospects available in our city when I was planning to get my own bike. I just made up my mind when I found out that the Motorstar z200 in my list is a Zongshen and later 'discovered that Zongshen is in partnership with Piaggio and Harley Davidson, just like Bajaj with Kawasaki. It made me wonder what made this two great companies do business with this Chinese motorcycle manufacturer. It may be the cheap labor, but business decisions don't just go for economy, it must base on something bigger to ensure success, like popularity of the company in their own country. Popularity may mean quality. Why else would chinese people like the brand? Well, this are all my speculations. But there is that strange feeling that this bike could really be the one for me. Then I saw that the bike is sporting an ISO standard label. Oh really? Let's just see. All right I was really itching too much, so I MADE the dive.

Sarcastic scrutiny and criticism are what I'm really expecting from friends and colleagues. But that didn't stop me. I know in my heart that I didn't lack in my preparations. My decision was also based on several facts and of course to my needs and liking (my standards maybe). So here it is. Here I am with the bike I really wanted. almost 4 yrs of symbiotic relationship *lol*. (the bike is not biological though, but almost like a living partner that I go with everyday).

I'll be posting videos on youtube about my bike very soon. See it for yourselves guys.