madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: Time for a new bike...again?

#11 Unread post by madjak30 »

You guys are right...I just did a Suzuki Demo Dayz...tested the M50 cruiser again (they didn't have any bigger ones, so I wanted to just see the wind protection), but that just isn't for me...I also tried the DL650 (again they didn't have the DL1000 out for demo), it was a nice bike to ride. Quite comfortable, but just not as fun as I would want...not yet anyway...I got back on my bike afterward and it just reminded me why I bought it in the first place...NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!! Torque rules.

I think I will just pick up a fly screen, luggage rack and keep the huge grin behind my helmet...I do love my bike. Unless wifey lets me get a second bike, that's a whole different situation.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#12 Unread post by BobK »

I've never seen one in person, but from the Youtube videos I've seen, the MT-01 might be the only bike to tempt me off my XR1200.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Glad to see you've renewed your love for your MT-01! To me, it sounds like a the test drives led to a great resolution. :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#14 Unread post by madjak30 »

BobK wrote:I've never seen one in person, but from the Youtube videos I've seen, the MT-01 might be the only bike to tempt me off my XR1200.
I don't know if you are from the States or not, but the MT-01 was never imported by Yamaha USA...so Canada only...and sales were slow for it, they are a bit of a rare bike. As for Harley, there are only a few that I really like...and the XR1200 is definitely among them (I've always liked the Vrod, but there are a few Buells that I like...motors based on Sportster motors like yours)

Anyway, I'm still going to keep looking...but the one I choose will have to put the same smile on my face and offer a little more of either comfort or versatility (preferably both!) I do still want to try the Versys 1000, the Triumph Tiger 800XC, Yamaha FJR1300 and Honda ST1300...so I will watch for bikes in the show rooms and ask for test rides...I'll have to make sure I take my VholdR camera with me on the test rides (I did for the M50 & DL650...videos to come)
sunshine229 wrote:Glad to see you've renewed your love for your MT-01! To me, it sounds like a the test drives led to a great resolution. :mrgreen:
Yup, when I got on my bike and fired it up...my immediate reaction was "nope, those just won't cut it...not compared to this...", and as I rode away I could see others watching me leave, possibly wondering what bike I was on...like BobK said, not a lot of people have seen one in person and hearing it is just that much better...kinda like seeing a muscle car in a parking lot, then hearing it fire up and pull away...that's the feeling I get with my MT-01...ROCK STAR!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#15 Unread post by BobK »

Nope, not in the States. I have the only XR1200 in Slovenia. I bought it in Austria and had to go to the local DMV here to register it. They had to make a new entry in the database for this model. Just about every place I park it, some old guy comes up and says "Is that really a Harley? I didn't know they made Harleys that look like that!"