Honda or Harley?

moshee
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#121 Unread post by moshee »

One thing I like about Harleys over the Japanese bikes is the longevity of the Harley style. New or old Harley, it doesn't matter. Kind of like Triumphs way back when or the Airhead BMWs.

Japanese bikes can become obsolete, from the styling standpoint (and the engine standpoint), in a relatively short time. There are exceptions of course, like the Kawasaki Z-1 which just ended its production run with the cessation of the assembly of police bikes.

I know many will not agree with me, but thats the way I've always felt about the Japanese products. They seem to be continually changing. It can get expensive trying to keep up the latest and greatest. That said, I've owned Japanese bikes (1976 Yamaha RD400 & 1975 Kawasaki Z-1) and they were fine bikes. BMW has also fallen into this trap. Oh, for the days when there was only one BMW.......
Last edited by moshee on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#122 Unread post by TechTMW »

There's still only one bmw ... the r1200 gs...

They don't make anything else ... do they?? :twisted:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

moshee
Veteran
Veteran

#123 Unread post by moshee »

TechBMW wrote:There's still only one bmw ... the r1200 gs...

That is to say, BMW only makes one motorcycle. The R1200GS. The rest of their line are just bikes! Nes pas (thats French for those of you across the water)?
Last edited by moshee on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#124 Unread post by cb360 »

moshee wrote:
TechBMW wrote:There's still only one bmw ... the r1200 gs...

That is to say, BMW only makes one motorcycle. The R1200GS. The rest of their line are just bikes! Nes pas (thats French for those of you across the water)?
It's actually n'est-ca pas... but only if you want to spell it right :laughing:
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

moshee
Veteran
Veteran

#125 Unread post by moshee »

cb360 is right. Its been 44 years since I had French in the 9th grade. This could be the start of alzheimer. Arrrrrrrgh.......

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#126 Unread post by sapaul »

TechBMW wrote:
There's still only one bmw ... the r1200 gs...

They don't make anything else ... do they??

POOH POOH you ignaramous backstabbers, you should be ashamed I tell you, ashamed, you should crawl in a corner and admit to your dreadfull mistake.

I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#127 Unread post by TechTMW »

Aww c'mon - the Harley guys can say the V-Rod isn't a real Harley, why can't we have fun too :laughing:

Maybe we're just sad sad luddites :teehee:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

moshee
Veteran
Veteran

#128 Unread post by moshee »

sapaul wrote:POOH POOH you ignaramous backstabbers, you should be ashamed I tell you, ashamed, you should crawl in a corner and admit to your dreadfull mistake.
I confess, I confess. Ohhhhhh the pain of it all.

The only real BMW motorcycles are the airheads. Every other Beemer is but a UJM wannabe.

There, I've said it and feel better now.

Joe Mc
Elite
Elite

#129 Unread post by Joe Mc »

moshee wrote:One thing I like about Harleys over the Japanese bikes is the longevity of the Harley style. New or old Harley, it doesn't matter. Kind of like Triumphs way back when or the Airhead BMWs.

Japanese bikes can become obsolete, from the styling standpoint (and the engine standpoint), in a relatively short time. There are exceptions of course, like the Kawasaki Z-1 which just ended its production run with the cessation of the assembly of police bikes.

I know many will not agree with me, but thats the way I've always felt about the Japanese products. They seem to be continually changing. It can get expensive trying to keep up the latest and greatest. That said, I've owned Japanese bikes (1976 Yamaha RD400 & 1975 Kawasaki Z-1) and they were fine bikes. BMW has also fallen into this trap. Oh, for the days when there was only one BMW.......
I actually find that to be one of the pluses of the Japanese bikes.

My brother has an 86 Harley and to those that don't pay attention to the minor changes over he years (me) it's difficult to tell if it's a 2006 or a 1976! They all look so similar.

I like being able to tell which bike I'm looking at and approximately what year without looking at the VIN

Most bike people I come across on my rides can guess the year of my bike, or get pretty darn close. Especially when I have the original orange tank on it. :lol:
'78 CB400T2 Hawk

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#130 Unread post by sapaul »

I am having fun, actually defending you guys the R1200gs has to be the best dual bike ever. Two wheels mag in the UK did a heavy metal shoot out between the Busa, CBR, ZX12 and the K1200S and suprisingly voted the BMW as the best bike, Nearly fell of my chair. PS is this Luddites thing where you have to put cream up your bum?
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R