Honda or Harley?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#101 Unread post by Gummiente »

BuzZz wrote:What is about someone not likeing Harley's that pisses those who do off so much?
I hear ya, Buzz. I mean what is wrong with these Harley riders, anyway? Jeez, what a sensitive bunch, eh? You'd think after hearing the same tired old cliches a billion times over about how inferior/slow/expensive/unreliable/etc their bikes are they'd develop a sense of humour about it, but no - they still get bent out of shape every time. Go figure.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#102 Unread post by High_Side »

BuzZz wrote: If I say Hondas Suck!!! someone might argue the piont, but WWIII doesn't breakout.
HEY! :twisted: Watch it purple bike boy! :laughing:

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#103 Unread post by Mintbread »

BuzZz wrote:Just curious..... why does this discussion(over and over and over again) always revolve around Harley VS anything else?
In my experience it is usually anything else Vs Japanese bikes.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#104 Unread post by ZooTech »

Gummiente wrote:
BuzZz wrote:What is about someone not likeing Harley's that pisses those who do off so much?
I hear ya, Buzz. I mean what is wrong with these Harley riders, anyway? Jeez, what a sensitive bunch, eh? You'd think after hearing the same tired old cliches a billion times over about how inferior/slow/expensive/unreliable/etc their bikes are they'd develop a sense of humour about it, but no - they still get bent out of shape every time. Go figure.
Hey, Harley no less than earned that reputation, Gummi. If you bring it up now you always here, "Yeah, but the new Evo engines are better". Granted, they are...but how could they not be? What I find insulting is that a bike company can crank out that kind of crap for so long and then expect me to pay $14,000 or more for a non-Sportster model after bringing such crap to market for so long. I would have no problem with Harley whatsoever if they cut their prices by 33% right this minute. That would take them out of the "designer bike" category and bring them more down to earth where they should be. Just look at what you can get from Victory these days for the price of a Harley Night-Train. You'll get a sweet looking custom with a 100c.i. engine and a 6-speed tranny. Or, for the same price, you can choose between a Kawasaki 2000 or a Triumph Rocket III. So I say how dare Harley ask so much for so little. I'm not even saying their bikes are still crap, but their prices are flat out unjustifiable in my opinion.

RangerG
Regular
Regular

#105 Unread post by RangerG »

Man...did I start WWIII or sumpthin?? :shock:

I picked up the 1200 Sportster last Friday, and I am still getting used to a bike that is twice the size and weight of anything I have ever owned.

I am very pleased with the bike...the price...well...it hurt a bit, but I guess I just chalk it up to the Pleasure/Pain thing...

As soon as I get a bit more used to it, I will try and hook up with the other local forum members... :mrgreen:
2006 Harley 1200 Sportster
1948 Simplex Servi-Cycle
1944 Cushman Military Police 3 Wheel

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#106 Unread post by cb360 »

You have any pics Ranger G. - What color did you get? One of the best looking bikes on the market IMHO.

It really baffles me - these Harley threads. They make a nice bike with lots of pluses and a few minuses... like every other bike manufacturer. Don't like them, don't buy one. Love them? Enjoy your ride. I've never had one, but I'm open to the idea when I get a bigger bike. I'm a value shopper first and foremost, but it also has to fit my eye. I'm a thrifty dude but I won't buy the best bike for the money if I don't like how it looks. Anyway, at this point, other than the historical significance of the company, I just see them as another bike manufacturer.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#107 Unread post by ZooTech »

cb360 wrote:at this point, other than the historical significance of the company, I just see them as another bike manufacturer.
So do I. Unfortunately they don't, and neither does the vast majority of Harley owners. I hear so much about the "exclusive club" you join by buying one. Apparently the club dues are figured into the price tag.

DustyJacket

#108 Unread post by DustyJacket »

RangerG wrote:.......I picked up the 1200 Sportster last Friday, and I am still getting used to a bike that is twice the size and weight of anything I have ever owned........
Post pictures !

I rode my month-old Sportster from KC to Ft. Collins, CO and back this weekend. Each way (Friday, Sunday) was 10 hrs moving and 2 hrs stopped. Most of the time was 80mph (just kidding, mr officer, I'd never speed....) Saturday was over 100 miles doing mountain twisties w/brother and brother in law. Total mileage 1522 miles.

No problems. My butt survived. I kept up in the mountain twisties in all but 2 corners, and for 10 minutes after I slid on a wet cattle guard in a curve.

I love my Sportster. (Althoun a Ulysses would be a serious contender if I hadn't already bought my Sporty.)
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#109 Unread post by cb360 »

ZooTech wrote:
cb360 wrote:at this point, other than the historical significance of the company, I just see them as another bike manufacturer.
So do I. Unfortunately they don't, and neither does the vast majority of Harley owners. I hear so much about the "exclusive club" you join by buying one. Apparently the club dues are figured into the price tag.
That might be true :laughing: There is something about them I must admit. I like the sound (if they aren't too loud) and I like the look of some of the models. I won't exclude them when I look to move up - being a used market kind of guy it's certainly possible I could find one that fits the bill. But I'm also kind of partial to Honda. I'll see one day when the perfect deal comes along...
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#110 Unread post by ZooTech »

There is one Harley I really like, and no it's not the V-Rod (tried one out and I don't fit). And surprisingly it's not from the Dyna family either (can nine motorcycles look any more alike?). It's the retro-cool looking Road Glide pictured below. I've seen a few done up with flames or American flag motifs and I think they look hella nice.