Honda or Harley?

RangerG
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Honda or Harley?

#1 Unread post by RangerG »

My original plans to get a Honda Rebel have been changed due to an unexpected windfall..

I am now trying to choose between a Harley XL883C and a Honda 750 Aero.

I would appreciate any input from forum members.

My big concern is the water cooled Honda engine...seems to be just one more thing that could go wrong.. Not sure which is cheaper to get serviced.. I have sales flyers and spec sheets spinning in my head when I sleep... :?

The Honda dealer is willing to haggle...the Harley dealer is not. I could probably save $1000.00 to $1500.00 if I got he Honda....but would I be happy down the road??....AGGGGHHHHHHH :frusty:

It was easier when I was poor... :x
2006 Harley 1200 Sportster
1948 Simplex Servi-Cycle
1944 Cushman Military Police 3 Wheel

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by cb360 »

I'm looking forward to this - those are two bikes I'm considering though I'll be buying a used one. I'd be happy to own either one but I'm sure there are pluses and minuses to both models.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by rnr262 »

Go with the Honda! They have the reputation of being bullet proof and you can spend the extra $$ you save buying accessories. No knock against the Harley, just between these two models, I'd take the Honda. Either way, I think you'll get a good bike.
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel

Aggroton
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by Aggroton »

if you like hanging out with tuff guys or with guys that think they are tuff or with yuppies who think they are tuff...get the harley...if you want to blend in with the menagerie of the biking world id get the honda...

btw im very wary of the watercooled engines...for the same reason you are...but i have no experience.

me im tuff. im going to get a 883 hugger. :laughing:
thats a sweet bike.

RangerG
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by RangerG »

Well, I did a little more homework today. I went and checked out the Aero in person. It appeard to be a nice bike and after looking it over from front to back, I was wondering how come the price was so low.. Then I bumped a cover..chrome plated plastic... :? So I tapped all the other exposed covers...chrome plated or painted plastic.. When I asked questions about tire wear because of the shaft drive, and when valved needed adjusting..the sales staff was :shock: ..seems no one askes these questions. How much do each service interval cost and is it covered under the warranty..again.. :shock: ...then ummmm...no..it costs around $250 - $300..

I was outa there....

Now it is between the XL883C or the 1200 Custom...

*Sigh*

:|
2006 Harley 1200 Sportster
1948 Simplex Servi-Cycle
1944 Cushman Military Police 3 Wheel

rnr262
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by rnr262 »

Get the 1200! Or, get the 883 and when you decide you want the 1200 later, they make kits for it, and poof, you have a 1200 without buying a new bike. (what the Harley guy told me to do)

Art has his heart set on a 1200. Red and Black. We visit often.
01 Vulcan 750
05 Rebel

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#7 Unread post by ZooTech »

So...what? The Harley dealership will service your new Sportster for free?

Please...

With Harley, you're gonna pay through the nose. And another thing, by buying a Sportster (a genuine Harley product) you think you've just joined their ranks...but that's not the case. All other Harley owners look down on the Sportster and most call it a "Chick's Harley".

I'm not knockin' it...my best friend has a '98 883 and his brother has an '05 883L. But I've been there during shows and rides and nobody gives his bike the time of day. It's the cheapest thing Harley could throw together so they could actually offer a bike for <$10,000...and it's a LONG way up to the next bike from there.

On a semi-related note, a co-worker of mine complimented my Mean Streak today but said, "Know what would make it better? If it were a Harley". I said, "Yeah...then I could have paid twice as much for it."

Some people just don't know...

My buddy's '98 883:

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

ZooTech wrote:All other Harley owners look down on the Sportster and most call it a "Chick's Harley".
I like Sportsters and I am not the only one. And it is not a "chick's bike", nor is it "thrown together" and the service does not cost near as much as what you think. What DOES drain the wallet are the overpriced accessories but, like you said, some people just don't know. :roll:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

keysman

#9 Unread post by keysman »

Oh no, are we going to have another Harley battle again? :roll:
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by TechTMW »

I figured a guy with a simplex would just get another simplex and bolt a 16hp briggs and stratton v-twin in there :wink:

Follow your heart on the bike, Harley or no. There aren't any other Japanese cruisers that catch your fancy?
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)