Road or Electra Glide

nitewowl
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2005 HD Road Glide

Road or Electra Glide

#1 Unread post by nitewowl »

Finalizing my purchase plans and having difficulty between the Road Glide and the Ultra Classic (Electra Glide). All this started with a Road King and because it is always windy here in Texas, I decided to try a fairing. Helped a lot. Do both of these models fairings treat the wind issue about the same or is one better? I understand some have issues with the non-moving fairing visually while others love it for improved road hugging. I didn't seem to notice the visual issue during test drives though did notice the RG was easier to make a tight turn. There seem to be about 1/3 fewer RGs around so another issue down the road might be marketability if I want to improve from 2005 in a few years of riding. Can't find any sales numbers by model so a little hard to tell though easy enough to compare ads and such.

Appreciate all insights and assistance on this!

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

Re: Road or Electra Glide

#2 Unread post by jaskc78 »

i loved my road glide. i've never ridden one of the batwings, but that's more because they just don't appeal to me visually than anything else, but i found that i had no problems at highway speeds on my FLTR. i could no kidding set the cruise control and take both hands off the bars while passing semi trucks without a problem...granted, i didn't move them very far, but enough to test it and see that the bike still tracked straight and didn't try to jump around at all.

i also didn't have any shoulder fatigue from fighting winds like some of my friends mentioned with their tree-mounted windshields and fairings. it's just a very smooth, relaxing ride. and being from Arizona, i rode in cross-winds like i'm sure you'll find in Texas, so i can tell you if you go with the road glide the only problem you'll have is being so comfortable you want to take a nap. :D
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

nitewowl
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2005 HD Road Glide

#3 Unread post by nitewowl »

Thank you for the input. I bought a 2005 Road Glide today and rode it home about 40 miles in a very stiff wind - 25-30mph. Handled well though would still like to hear from others on the difference in the wind impact on the Road Glide vs. the Electra Glide. Trying to discern if the closer wing on the Electra deflects more upward off of the drivers head? One thing for sure - it definitely does seem easier to steer, turn, etc with the Road Glide.

jaskc78
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#4 Unread post by jaskc78 »

glad to hear you're liking it. you may want to ask down in the HD forums for input on the batwings, i'm sure there's a lot of readers down there that will be able to provide good first-hand accounts and it might get their attention faster being in a brand-specific forum rather than being in the all-things-motorcycle forum.

and yeah, i'm tall enough i was catching a little bit of buffeting around the top of my helmet on my Road Glide as well, but i could hunker down a little bit to get out of it. it was just high enough that it didn't really catch enough of the helmet to push my head around but caught it enough that i knew it was there and could hear it. i've heard that one of the after-market windshields did a really good job of deflecting the wind just that little bit higher to keep it off the top of your helmet, but i can't remember which brand it was in particular that everyone seemed to like so much.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#5 Unread post by Gummiente »

I've had an '04 Electra Glide and now an '07 Road Glide. The RG is by far the better bike. The only flaw is the buffeting around the head caused by the windshield being placed so far ahead of the rider. I have found a temporary solution in a cut down Factory Tall windshield, but for $200 and change you can solve the issue permanently with a Clearview windshield.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

glider
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

#6 Unread post by glider »

I am moments away from trading my 2011 Ultra Classic for a 2013 Road Glide Custom. I love the looks of the RGC and it fits me well, but I am very comfortable on my Ultra too. I've spoken to many folks that went from the batwing EGs to the fixed fairings on the RG and they said it took about 2 minutes to get use to it. That being one of my biggest concerns and hearing that it only took that short amount of time to get use to is making go for the trade. I am also 50 something and feel that the RG might be easier to handle because it is a lighter bike.
Although my pack and lowers are off the Ultra more then they're on, I still think I will miss them.
I'd love to hear from any of you that went through a similar experience. One other thing about the RG, not thrilled with that thing on the front their calling a windshield. Any suggestions on a good replacement windshield that would serve a purpose?