Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2007 Yamaha MT-01 review

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Found this review from Drivers seat:

2007 Yamaha MT-01 review

Most motorcycles fall into one of five categories: Touring, Cruiser, Sport, Dual Purpose, and Scooter. Of course, there are permutations and variants within those groups, but, broadly speaking, that’s where manufacturers position their models when they put them on the market.

But now and then something comes along that doesn’t quite fit into the established categories. Neither fish nor fowl, Yamaha’s MT-01 has the engine and drivetrain of a traditional boulevard cruiser, the performance of a sport bike, and the appearance of a dual purpose....sort of. One of the most striking-looking motorcycles on the road these days, the MT-01 even has it’s own category: Sport Torque....at least according to Yamaha.

But that description fits well. The 1670 cc pushrod air-cooled V-twin propelling the MT-01 reaches its maximum torque output at just 3750 rpm, which is pretty far removed from some sport bikes that rev up to 15,000 rpm and beyond, and don’t reach their maximum engine output until the last 2000 or 3000 rpm of the engine’s power band. The MT-01 may not spin like a traditional sport bike, but it still goes like stink, especially off the line, and has all the handling and braking performance you could ask for in a machine of this calibre. It reminds me a lot of some Buell models, and maybe the Ducati Monster and Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 as well.

The MT-01's V-Twin is the same basic engine found in Yamaha’s Road Star cruiser series. As befits a sport torque machine, it has an abundance of the stuff: 110.7 foot-pounds at 3750 rpm, which, by my calculations, translates into about 79 horsepower. It’s mated to a five-speed transmission, and final drive is chain. Interestingly, the Road Star drivetrain features belt final drive, which is located on the left side of the bike, where the MT-01 has its chain on the right side. Yamaha changed the drivetrain configuration completely, in other words.

Either way, the engine moves the 241 kilogram bike along at a brisk clip, but not an uncontrollable one. It’s been my experience over the years that in-line V-twin engines are admirably suited to motorcycles when it comes to power delivery and tractability. It just makes sense; because the power is being generated fore and aft, as opposed to side to side, for example, most in-line V-twins behave themselves and offer predictable, linear performance. The MT-01 does twitch a little when the throttle is blipped, but nothing like some BMW Boxer and/or Moto Guzzi models I’ve ridden. It is also a stressed frame member and is connected directly to the bike’s frame. This gives it good transitional power....no flat spots coming out of a turn or trolling along at low speeds in the lower gears. Having said that, the engine doesn’t like being lugged and objects if rpms are too low.

Elsewhere, brakes are a pair of six-piston discs up front and a solo two-piston disc in back. According to Yamaha, the front brakes are similar to those found in their new R1 race bike, and the MT-01 has outstanding stopping ability. Suspension duties are handled by inverted 43 mm front forks and a single rear shock mounted behind the engine, both of which are adjustable. I can’t see the MT-01 being favoured by stunt riders or hooligans, simply because it’s too large and heavy, and is not what I would call a nimble or tossable bike, but its brakes are definitely in keeping with its prodigious bottom end grunt.

Seat height is a fairly lofty 825 mm, which is a bit of a stretch for me, but not unmanageable, and mitigated somewhat by an upright riding position that doesn’t have you stretched out over the tank and craning your neck upwards. Handlebars are fairly conventional drag style and, all things considered, the MT-01 is a reasonably comfortable bike, for what it is and who it’s aimed at. And anyway, you don’t buy this kind of machine because you want to lounge in the saddle and watch the daisies go by; sport torque or otherwise, this is definitely one of those bikes that requires your full and undivided attention.

Stylistically, the MT-01 is kind of like Brussel sprouts or yogurt; either you like it or hate it....a lot. There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground and while I appreciate its chunky Robo-cop meets Tron appearance, I wouldn’t buy this bike for its looks. That weird aluminum slab on the gas tank is actually an air intake, by the way, and the tank holds 15 litres of premium with a three-litre reserve supply.

The MT-01 is aimed at enthusiasts and experienced riders and Yamaha acknowledges that it’s kind of an acquired taste. Undeniably fun to ride, it is not one of the company’s best sellers and has an MSRP of $16,099 to start.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.