Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

2009 Harley Cross Bones Demo Ride

#1 Unread post by Gummiente »

So I was aimlessly surfing the net last night and happened across the website for my local Harley dealer, FOX HD of Owen Sound, Ontario. It had recently been updated and there was a new blurb posted about them having a Buell Ulysses, an Ultra-Glide Classic and a Cross Bones available for demo rides at any time.

As I am on midnights this week, my dilemna of what to do with my free time today was instantly solved. I showed up there at 10:30am and, after signing the necessary waiver form, was swinging a leg over a dealer modified Cross Bones and heading out for a ride. The mods were mostly cosmetic and consisted of header pipes wrapped in high temp cloth and Reinhardt slip-on mufflers which, despite having a pleasing rumble, were far too loud for my taste. The stock seat had been replaced with an aftermarket unit that retained the stock springs and pivot point but had noticeably less padding. Recessed pop-up fuel filler caps were added, giving the tank a nice sleek profile. The left side cap, of course, is still fake but contains a series of sequentially lit blue LED's that show the fuel level remaining in the tank. Very trick. The digital odometer is the same as on my Road Glide but now comes with an added feature - it has a setting that shows the number of km's left before the fuel tank is empty, a handy feature to have on a fuel injected bike with no reserve setting.

The seating position and floorboard placement were very surprisingly comfortable and the "apehanger" handlebars weren't near as awkward as they looked, although they did take some getting used to (remember, my normal rides are an '07 Road Glide and an '05 Ural Tourist which both have different ergonomics). Handlebar controls are standard Harley issue and the gear shifter and rear brake pedal were in similar spots as on my Road Glide.

With the counterbalanced engine, vibration is pretty much non-existent at idle and barely detectable at speed. In an odd way this kind of takes away from the bike's visceral appeal, but it sure does increase the comfort factor. I fudged up the first shift because the dealer had removed the heel shifter, but other than that it was a smooth takeoff from the dealer's parking lot.

The bike winds up to speed with no fuss or strain and the wide front tire helps the bike maintain a stable and straight line on the road. The brakes work well, although the first few practice hard stops were a bit unsettling due to the rubber mounted bars. Harley rubber mounts all their handlebars to further reduce any high frequency vibes from transferring to the rider's hands and a certain amount of forward and backward flexing is normal. However, due to the height of the Cross Bone bars the movement is exaggerated and it gives the false impression that the bars are loose and in danger of falling off. They flexed a good 2"-3", which in addition to feeling weird also had the result of swinging the mirrors up so that the view behind was of the sky and not the road. Do your mirror checks BEFORE braking when on a Cross Bones.

Handling and ride comfort were on par with and slightly better than my wife's '06 Softail Deluxe, mostly due to the sprung solo seat. It could probably handle an all day ride, but for extended long trips I'm certain the Road Glide or any of the touring lineup would be a much better choice. There is a surprising amount of cornering clearance in both directions and I didn't scrape the floorboards once while navigating a twisty country back road, nor when turning at intersections in the city. The springer front end operates well and acts like a normal front end for the most part until braking or accelerating. Nothing alarming, just that the geometry and actuation of it feels quite different from the traditional telescopic fork.

I'd forgotten what it feels like to ride a bike without a windshield or fairing and at speeds above 90kmh I felt my glasses being pushed back into my eye sockets. The apehanger bars had my underarms dried out in no time, but I could see cold weather rides being hard on the upper body because of the exposure to the wind.

Overall, it is a nice bike and IMO one serious piece of eye candy - the bike just oozes cool all over the place and it felt good to ride it. Would I trade my Road Glide for one? Well, no, but if I ever have room in my garage (and marriage) for another bike the Cross Bones would be the one!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#2 Unread post by Social Distortion »

i had a chance to test ride in its stock form.
I wanted so badly to love it.

spring seat made me feel uneasy but then again, i guess i can get use to it.
it also made me feel somewhat tall, but im sure w some miles, those springs will compress more.
I love the springer front end and ive ridden bike w/ baby apes, so it was no problems there.
forward controls seemed a tad too far for someone who is 5'9...
i like it, but dont love it...
i just saved $18,000!

nice bike, but i wouldnt buy it new
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

Social Distortion wrote:spring seat made me feel uneasy but then again, i guess i can get use to it.
It probably would have been for me, too, had I not been used to the similar setup on my Ural. It uses rubber supports instead of springs and gives a real bouncy circus ride over rough roads, but it is very comfy because of it.

Only $18k??!! MSRP up here in the Great White North is $23,619.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Re: 2009 Harley Cross Bones Demo Ride

#4 Unread post by Ryethil »

Gummiente wrote: Overall, it is a nice bike and IMO one serious piece of eye candy - the bike just oozes cool all over the place and it felt good to ride it. Would I trade my Road Glide for one? Well, no, but if I ever have room in my garage (and marriage) for another bike the Cross Bones would be the one!
Okay, guys this sounds a bit funny but I've got a question or 2. I'm still working on other plans but I rode a Cross Bones today and I actually liked it. Now the question. Could either one of you suggest this bike as a primary means of transportation? Secondly, would you suggest a different model like the Low Rider?

It has a coolness factor that really turned my crank. I thought that I would hate the springer because I was sure it would flex. I did notice that the bike had a bit of a jackhammer effect over 80-85 mph. How much did affect the ride of the bike to have its seat shaved? What's the advantage to have a Heel/toe shifter. Spec wise, the brakes seem to be a bit light for the size of the bike though I was able to stop suddenly. I would have liked it to be a bit more positive. One last question did you feel you had to muscle the bike into corners. The bike I rode was relatively new but had shims instead of the rubbet mounts for the handle bars.

So in a nut shell, is it worth giving up a late model Sportster C for. The Sportster buy back program would make for a large down payment. The local dealer has a Denium Blue one in stock and would take 2 weeks to get it out the door. I guess the big questin is it worth taking a second job over. The dealership would like me to work part time doing bike setups and minor mechanical work. Can you say dealer discount? I'm still up to date on my Harley certification.

Of course my mother would sh*t if I went over to her place with grease under my finger nails again. :roll:

:rockon:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]