Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD, or Honda VT600C Shadow VLX?

Dunolde
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD, or Honda VT600C Shadow VLX?

#1 Unread post by Dunolde »

Kawasaki is 500 cc but has 6 gears; Honda is 600 cc but only 4 gears, which is a drawback according to others' opinions. It takes a bit for the power to catch up, not that it's not there.
Like many here, I'm getting back into riding after 30 years plus. First, and only bike was a little Kawasaki 125. Tough little bike.
Honda costs a bit more, but the Kawasaki seems a bit more capable.
Help me out.
:?

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#2 Unread post by Thumper »

If you're buying new, your only option is the Kaw, since Honda didn't make the VLX this year.

But if you're looking for used, everything I've read and have been told puts the Kaw ahead of the VLX (even though the Spouse Thingy has and absolutely loves his VLX...) Five gears, better power delivery, and smoother ride.

Get the one that floats your boat the highest, though. You'd likely be perfectly happy with either one.

Dunolde
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the reply

#3 Unread post by Dunolde »

Thanks Thumper, fortunately there are still plenty of new '07 VLXs around. A local dealer bought a "truckload (12)" and is selling them for $1200 off and he can't keep hold of them. He said that Honda overproduced them and now have a surplus, for now, at least. I'm leaning toward the Kawasaki though.

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#4 Unread post by jmillheiser »

The Kawi will have more power, and might be more comfortable.

Im a pretty big guy and I fit on Vulcan 500 just fine. I also fit on a VLX just fine too.

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#5 Unread post by flw »

My ride is a Vulcan 500 LTD '07. I like the 6 gears/speed and its cheaper new or used. The only downside is aftermarket parts. So checkout what you "must have" before you buy so either you buy the add on's now or later you know there available.

i.e. Corban and Mustang do not make a upgraded seat for it and Crash bars are another problem (not highway bars=useless). If I fall off the bike the last thing I'm worried about is the cylinder heads. Yes my leg is higher up the latter
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

DH
Rookie
Rookie

Kaw is way better

#6 Unread post by DH »

Go with the Kaw 500. A lot more acceleration, and the parallel twin is very simple to work on.
The Honda has a widespread reputation for being very underpowered for its size.

DH

Dunolde
Rookie
Rookie

Good advice!

#7 Unread post by Dunolde »

OK, DH, I went with the Kawi Vulcan 500 in June. While I still like the looks of the Honda Shadow Aero (retro, red and cream, or black and white) I'm going to be sticking with my surprisingly powerful Vulcan. :wink:

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#8 Unread post by Thumper »

Awesome! I'm kind of bummed they can't sell them in Calif anymore, even though I'm not in the market for a bike. Enjoy yours!